Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donation quilting pieces >

Donation quilting pieces

Donation quilting pieces

Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 AM

I won't send quilted items to charity auctions either as the same thing happens in Canada. I either send a cheque it I am able or an apron and cookbook. I can make an apron in a hour or two and often make them out of donated fabric so I have very little $ invested in them. I also have found that children's Hallowe'en costumes have sold well at silent auctions and I can stitch one of those in a couple of hours too. Definitely no quilts from me!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 AM

I made two nice lap quilts for a Condo White Elephant Sale, they were raffeled off for $15.00 each. One lady won both of them. I didn't feel bad tho, it gave me something to do, and they were admired by people attending.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 AM

Quilts pull in far more money as a raffle item than as an auction item. Many more 'bidders' (tickets), smaller outlay each, and the winner still gets a really good deal.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 AM

It happens all over and yes it is disappointing. I stay away from donating anything. Even giving to family can be disappointing. Sometimes someone says I should have you sew something up for me, as if my time and input is nothing. Now I sew what I want for who I want, when I want.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 AM

I do not donate to auctions .. only raffles, as they have a much better chance of bringing in the $$ that reflects my part of the contribution.
That being said ... ( My intent is not to offend any one) .. but a raffle quilt should be raffle worthy!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 AM

yes yes yes I donated a queen size quilt to my church and it brought $125.00, I donated a cheater cloth of deers to a wildlife assocation and it brought $675.00, go figure
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 AM

I agree with the Raffle option, you can get many people to part with $1 to $5 easily especially if it is a nice quilt. I donate a queen size quilt every year to our local Relay for Life and they usually end up in the $1,500 - $2,000 range but that is also because they are dedicated to taking it to different places for display over a couple of months timeframe. I normally will not donate to an auction although I have made exceptions when talking to the people asking (someone I knew) and they convinced me that it would go for a decent price. It was for a charity for a state school near me and it did end up going for a decent price and then the person donated it back to the school for use so I will definitely do that again.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 AM

Sometimes it is the auctioneer who could be at fault.

Did the auctioneer give a good description of the item including the number of hours work and a "value" of the item?
How well did the auctioneer "work" the crowd?
Were there any auction assistants working the crowd as well? They help far more than you think (it's very hard to say to no to another $5 bid when the guy is looking you right in the eye from 2' away!!).
How well did the auctioneer/chairty adverstise the auction?

Other considerations are where this item was in the auction (firs? last???), the quantity of other items (even if this item was first - if the customers see 100 other items they're not going to spend all their $$ on the first item they see), and the quality and general value of the other items.

Last is the customer base. If at a church, is the congregation large or small? Is more than 50% of the congregation on a fixed income? Is more than 50% of the congregation over 60 (over 60 people tend to buy less for the home than those under 40). Also, if the auction was given by a special interest group (Church, Car Club, Alzheimers Foundation, etc) items that are related to the interest tend to generate more than items that are not. One exception to this rule are common household items that are typically free from design (ie a plasma TV, an espresso machine).

I've run quite a few auctions/raffles for a special interest group and have had good success.

Also keep in mind that auctions take time ... far more time than raffles. Sometimes it's best to hold both in conjunction with another, offering the lower price items on the raffle table (often in groupings), and higher valued items for auction. Sometimes when we've had items that were quite special we have had a separate raffle for just that item.

A big part of the reason is keeping the audience interested. The audience will all be interested in the raffle portion because they have to pay attention to hear their ticket number called. And there is not much time wasted between tickets. Auctions on the other hand can take several long minutes for each item and at least 90% of the audience is not interested in the item being auctioned and they lose interest. Generally to keep the audience on their toes we will work the raffle for perhaps 5 items drawn, then switch to an auction item, then go back to the raffle for a few more items - and so on. It keeps everyone interested because they don't know what is coming next.

One more idea to boost sales of quilted items at auctions - especially the smaller sized items like placemats, bags etc. Offer them not as a "quilted item" but as a "basket with placemats, S&P Shakers, Creamer and Sugar bowl", or a "Beach tote with two pairs of flip flops and two beach towels". People see more than 3 items together and they automatically see more value!!!

Some of the items I have successfully auctioned off:

A walking stick with hand carved dog on the top - $800.00
A knit cap (very simple pull over - nothing special) knit from dog hair - $350 (Seriously!!!)
A Barbie coloring book called "Barbie goes to the dog show" - $50
A lap size "Quillow" with a motif of our breed on the cover coupled with 2 matching pillow cases (no motif) - $500

One last thing about auction items in general ... without a doubt our biggest auction draw of all time - year after year are the "State Baskets". Our dog club is national and we gather once a year. We ask folks to donate a basket of items that are from their home state. These baskets draw a lot of interest, a lot of bidding wars, and a lot of fun!! We usually do a "silent" auction for these as otherwise it could take forever to get through them. Some of these baskets of goodies have gone for over $1000.00.

Happy auctioning/raffling!!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

The only donation I would consider is a quilt that will be raffled off rather than auctioned off. Raffles bring in a lot more money for a quilt than silent auctions do. Even then the charity would have to print pictures and sell tickets prior to the event as well as at the event -- selling at workplace, neighborhoods, etc. Raffle tickets usually sell reasonably well when priced at $1 each and 6 for $5.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM

My quilting group donated a quilt for a charity auction and it did not bring enough to pay for the fabrics, as you stated; this year we asked them to sell raffle tickets and it made lots more $$$$$$$.

DH just went to a festival and this quilting group auctioned off a handmade, hand quilted one and only got $125 for it. It is so sad when this happens and makes me want to sell online.

delma