Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't FMQ with a full bobbin?

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i've never heard about this
    It's a new one on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    This may be the reason.... I recall that she was speaking about monofil thread at the time. I will listen to that part again and see if I can clarify this issue.
    That would make sense - invisible thread has a mind of its own and will want to unwind. If you wind the bobbin full, you could get a bobbin case full of loose loops.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laurlync
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky
    Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:
    Cool idea!!! Okay, I'll add bandanas to my Hobby Lobby list and watch for a sale! (Hob Lob has lots of different colors and patterns.)
    Walmart has some nice big ones in the ladies handbag section for $1.00 Nice color selection also..at our Walmart.

Blog Entries
    Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:
    One of the things I have found when FMQ with fabric similar to the bandana fabric is to do just as you do. By sewing around the design rather than through it just gives a more appealing FMQ IMHO. And boy that's a good idea.
    Agree with everything else you've said, too.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I fill mine all the way and never had any problems.

Blog Entries
    Interesting...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:
    ROFLMBO

Blog Entries
    I want my bobbins to last as long as possible!

I'd rather start with a full bobbin, I don't like to run out too soon.

Blog Entries
    I was doing some machine SID quilting yesterday on a small piece and I had a full bobbin in the machine. My top thread broke several times. After the bobbin got down a bit it stopped happening.
    I didn't think anything of it at the time but perhaps that person is right about tension problems with a full bobbin when quilting on the machine.
    Just a thought on my part.

what is FMQ?

What is FMQ

Quote Originally Posted by tamarx1
    what is FMQ?
    FMQ = Free Motion Quilting

I FMQ with a Viking Mega Quilter and it will only fill the bobbin about 3/4 full. I have had a problem with my Pfaff and a full bobbin when I FMQ. It means changing the bobbin a lot, but there is no time lost with the bobbin thread jamming the machine.

I also have never heard of this...the more thread the better...less stopping

My Pfaff doesn't stitch well with a full bobbin, but works better since I added a bobbin washer. The thread slips offthe bobbin when it's full, resulting in a poor stitch.

What I FMQ? I know Q is quilting .

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of this either. I fill about 5 bobbins to the brim before I start and I don't seem to have any problems with it....unless....I haven't wound it properly :roll:

Those are the days "I'm not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin"..LOL...love the phrasing!

I have never heard this but I tend to not fill my bobbins to capacity anyway.

Blog Entries
    I'll chime in with the others who may not be playing with a full deck but certainly a full bobbin. Well, at least for a few minutes. FMQ sure goes through the thread!

I have never had a problem with a full bobbin when doing FMQ. Maybe her machine over fills the bobbin and would create a problem by not letting the thread flow off freely. Other than that, I'm sorry, but don't understand her way of thinking. I want a full bobbin because one has to refill often anyway without starting with a bobbin 3/4's full.

I use the prewound bobbins from Superior and they are always full! They seem to last forever. When I start a new quilt I change to a full bobbin!

I've had problems a few times if my bobbin is "over filled" -- causing a few knots and nests. Maybe this was her problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Bizarre! I ALWAYS fill my bobbin to the top before FMQing because I hate it to run out half way then I have ends to sew in. I think my FMQ is OK, anyway, I don't have tension issues - only when I'm down to the last few inches in the bobbin. Perhaps this is just a quirk of her machine? But I LOVE the 'new' expression 'she's not FMQing with a full bobbin'! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Me too !!! I had to fill it 3 times yesterday and I never function with a full bobbin. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Bizarre! I ALWAYS fill my bobbin to the top before FMQing because I hate it to run out half way then I have ends to sew in. I think my FMQ is OK, anyway, I don't have tension issues - only when I'm down to the last few inches in the bobbin. Perhaps this is just a quirk of her machine? But I LOVE the 'new' expression 'she's not FMQing with a full bobbin'! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

Blog Entries
    I use a full bobbin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast