Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Don't FMQ with a full bobbin?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    I know nothing of this either...however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!
    ROFL!!! I like it!!! :lol:

This is new to me.

I know nothing of this either...however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!
    LOL. :lol:

I sometimes feel that when I'm FMQ I don't have "the full deck", but I always use a full bobbin!!

UPDATE: I reviewed the DVD again and paid closer attention this time. She is sewing on a Bernina 430.

Basically, she stated that machines will typically overfill bobbins, and that will cause looser threads which will increase thread/needle breakage and cause tension issues. She recommends to stop winding your bobbin before the machine does.

I think I now understand where she is coming from.... it kind of makes sense to me, but I don't think my machine (Brother) overfills to the point of causing issues.

Therefore, I shall continue to quilt with a full bobbin!

Wait...What???

I like Bottom Line for the bobbin, too :-)

Ha, Ha, Ha, That's a good one!!!! Fits me to a T!

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    UPDATE: I reviewed the DVD again and paid closer attention this time. She is sewing on a Bernina 430.

Basically, she stated that machines will typically overfill bobbins, and that will cause looser threads which will increase thread/needle breakage and cause tension issues. She recommends to stop winding your bobbin before the machine does.

I think I now understand where she is coming from.... it kind of makes sense to me, but I don't think my machine (Brother) overfills to the point of causing issues.

That does make more sense. I don't think my machine overfills either. I try to have several full bobbins ready before i start quilting just to save myself time.

Therefore, I shall continue to quilt with a full bobbin!

Blog Entries
    I think what the instructor was talking about is that when you wind your bobbin the winder does leave a bit of room on the bobbin. She means don't fill the bobbin completely full like clear out to the rim of the bobbin. \Some times it messes up your stitch. I also read in my LAQ instruction book not to overfill the bobbin.

going to use this phrase ! love it !

I've never heard that or had probvlems at any specific points of fullness.

Of course! FMQ=free motion quilting! Ok, I have a hard time with abreviations, always have. Thanks for understanding.LOL

Blog Entries
    I was FMQ last night and bobbin did not fill evenly; I shrugged it off and began sewing. Bobbin thread broke several times in a short time. I rewound the thread onto an empty bobbin and went sewing happily along.
    Note have a Bernina 150 QE and using metrolene thread.

I am a professional quilter and I never heard of this.

This is one of those my way is the best way things I fear.

I have always used a full bobbin and never had a problem or ever heard of this from anyone.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4