Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't know what to do with my favorite fabrics >

Don't know what to do with my favorite fabrics

Don't know what to do with my favorite fabrics

Old 12-24-2013, 04:03 AM

I used a favourite fabric to make a clutch for myself and then when out and bought a sweater to match it! Now, I'm eyeing up another fabric and I think I might need an apron for the kitchen with this (https://www.fabric.com/buy/0326983/m...big-poppy-aqua)
Attached Thumbnails large_0326983.jpg  

Last edited by aeble; 12-24-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:57 AM

Thank you for all the good ideas. I have some fabric from my best friend who passed away this year. She gifted me to kick start me into quilting. So I am quilting but every time I touch that fabric my cutting tools melt - cannot bring myself to cut it. When the holidays are over I am going to put that fabric in front of my nose, take a huge breath, square my shoulders and cut. The rest of this year will be spent figuring out what I am going to be cutting for.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Pat
Old 12-24-2013, 05:01 AM

I have had fabrics that I just loved too much to cut into them--but, when I did cut into them and make something I loved the resulting product even more. If you can't combine them to showcase them go shopping and find things to compliment each one and make several projects.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Who says you can't have more than one quilt? Put together the fabrics you like together and make yourself a quilt then another and another. Keep them folded in your living room or bed room where you can see and use them. I have a pile of quilts some I made others were gifts that even though they don't all "go together" it gives me joy to see them folded up where I can see them and they get used.
Amen and amen! froggyintexas
Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 AM

I do the same thing with wood. Save special boards for just the right project. The project never materializes and the wood just sits. A friend helped me with that. His advice was it's just wood. Use it and enjoy it. It does grow on trees afterall. It's been easier to dig into my stash since then. Same goes for fabric. No matter how much you use there will be more. Pick some projects you like that showcase your favorites and go for it. You'll be happier when you do.
Don't be afraid to give it away either. Especially if you know the person will enjoy it too. I've never regretted any gift I've ever given. What you give always comes back bigger than you gave.
Rodney
*Editted for spelling*
Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 PM

My mother once told me that she loved fabric and loved to buy it - but realized she didn't like to sew. (Guess it was passed to me by my great grandmother.) So she gave me the fabric and I have used it to make things for grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I LOVE Christmas fabric and Halloween fabric - I see it and just can't resist. I have over 150 Christmas fabrics and over 80 Halloween and Thanksgiving fabrics. So every few years I make patchwork quilts. Just cut off 2 to 4 squares of each and when I have enough I sew them into strips and into a quilt. I have also done it with hexagons and triangles. It amazed me how much the kids like them because of the variety and I love them because I love the fabrics. Are they color coordinated? No - but no one cares, they are just bright and fun.

Just enjoy the fabric, and keep it for yourself.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I use my favorite fabrics to make Mug Rugs for my neighbors. I just used a tiny bit and everyone (mostly 80+ widows) were delighted. Make a quilt for yourself to wrap up in the evenings. Do a pattern such as falling charms. I am anxious to try that one. I am cutting 6" charms out of my favorite stash. Enjoy the fabric that is your favorite. You don't get to see it if it is stored away !!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:23 AM

Here are another few ideas that you make, use and see everyday
Checkbook covers (I change mine out every season)
Casserole size pot holders (I use mine every time I put a casserole on the table, or 2 smaller ones)
Microwave Baked Potato bags (used very frequently)
Utility Apron (like a waitress wears. Great for working around the house and carrying little things around)
Coffee Cup Caddy (Great for storage of pens & pencils on every table/desk in the house)
All of these ideas can be seen on my web site at http://carneycreations.net/sewing
If you want tutorials for any of them, let me know. There's a link on my site to contact me.
My favorite for using my most favorite fabric that I don't want to give or sell are the coffee cup caddies. I have them all over my house in my favorite fabrics that aren't available on my site.

Tracy

Last edited by Tracy_Lit5; 12-25-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:53 AM

I made pillowcases FOR ME out of some of my favorites that I could hardly bear to cut. That way they were still in large pieces and I get to enjoy them (besides just petting them).

I've also thought about framing pieces of my favorites to hang on the wall. A friend of mine stapled fabric to her bedroom wall like it was wallpaper. That was pretty. I don't like my headboard so I've been thinking how to make a fabric cover for it. Anyway enjoy your favorite fabrics.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think it is just fine to have some fabrics just because one likes them!
I do, too!