Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doubles

Blog Entries

Doubles

Just been reading on organisation someone who is doing a sewing room and has found doubles of books and fabric. I know I am terrible for doubles of books magazines but not as much fabric, but notions oh yes.
    Why do we do it?
    Stopped books doubling as long as I use amazon they tell me I have it.
    Magazines , I've even had 2 of the same magazines drop through the letter box on the same day.

Hw do we stop doubles. Two in a bed no good.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    I am guilty of buying the same thing more than once.

Blog Entries
    No doubles on fabric, but sometimes that might be good. But I have bought books and/or patterns that I allready had.

I definitely have doubles of books. I usually buy my books at thrift shops and spend only a couple of dollars at the most, but then I get home and find I already have two copies of the same book! At one point I tried to make an inventory of every book I have, but never have it with me when I'm out and about. Just bought a second copy of "Fat Quarter Friendly" for only 99 cents!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I confess... Im guilty! The patterns are not so bad, but when I discover I have puchased a book I already have, I get so mad at my self. They are alot more expensive than just a pattern, and thats money I could have spent on fabric, because of course ...you never have enough fabric!! LOL

I think it goes with the territory ..... my friend collects cookbooks and she does the same thing as well as her husband with car books, so I figure I'm doing it "right". I do try organizing patterns and magazines but that doesn't always help. And, of course, I agree that quilters never have enough fabric! LOL me too!

I have doubles of Go Dies. Money well spent one time ....but two times yuck.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    That's why I try to download on to my computer. Put them into an album and I can go to them when ever I want. I don't like loading the recycle bin if I don't have to. Online magazines are great because you can always go back to them. I also make a notation as to what pattern or article struck my interest.

I've had to buy books twice, because I couldn't find the first one. And I occasionally end up with 2 of the same magazine. But I'm more likely to buy the same fabric twice. If I liked it once, I should like it again, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind buying double the fabric, can always use it later in another project.

I'm wondering how badly we really needed the book if we can't even remember we already bought it!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As mentioned above, Amazon does let you know you already have the book. But I too buy most books a flea markets or garage sales and I can't remember what I already have. Sewbizgirl, I think you've made a very good point. Maybe I'm just a collector of books and fabric.
    jean

Blog Entries
    I was looking for a quilt book in my bookcase and found several doubles of other books. It doesn't bother me.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    anyone with doubles can send on tome. I only take them out of the library.
    the money people spend on books, I buy fabs with

Blog Entries
    Moda has a little catalog with all the Go dies in it. That is my 'list'. I take it everywhere. If the die is marked off in the catalog, then it is either on order, or I have it. I have a 6 1/2 inch rag die that I would trade......

Why don't you offer some of them for sale on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    I have doubles of Go Dies. Money well spent one time ....but two times yuck.

I give the duplicate purchase to my niece,DIL,DD,sister or a friend and sometimes I get a free magazine or book from them. It is irritating but I always get a big smile or hug for the extra book so it balances my irritation.

Blog Entries
    I rarely have doubles but almost did this past yr. I went to the Hampton quilt show and fell in love with batik fabric and thought it would make a great jacket. I knew I had bought fabric the yr before from the same vendor in NC so I was happy that he was there at this one. I've been trying and doing very well at not buying unless I had a specific job to use fabric on. And yes, I knew what I would use it on, the jacket I also knew that I had two jacket patterns at home from the yr before and decided not to buy anymore. When I got home I went to pull up the pattern and with it was the fabric that I almost bought earlier that day. I just laughed and said well I must really love that fabric and so glad I didn't break the rules of not spending that I had put on myself. Now, there has been times on emblibrary.com that I've started to buy the same design or even download a freebee and the site lets me know that I already have that in my order history. I love when companies do that.
    Judy

I somehow bought the same fabric twice within the same week!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I started the thread and I give my doubles when I find them to a friend or just put them out at a class and say free to anyone who would like it. Never take things home and other people are delighted with the gift.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries

problems

Ia anyone else having any problems responding to comments on here. It won't let me.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    Why don't you offer some of them for sale on the board.
    I have doubles of a 3 1/2 inch strip die and a 6 1/2 inch triangle. I think it would cost more to mail them than it would cost if you can find them on sale.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

I took my granddaughter shopping for fabric for a quilt that she wants to make for her godmother. About a week after we went shopping I discovered that I actually own 2 of the fabrics she selected!!!!
    Patricia

Have been guilty of buying fabric and books twice a time or two. Luckly not to often.

Guilty of double purchases too ! Bought an address book and list all books, notions (rulers) patterns and kits to try to avoid duplicate purchases. It works when you take it with you when you are shopping. Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast