Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ?

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ?

My dishes are done..mainly to cook dinner again.Laundry is done, I can prove that for the mountain on the couch. Ground level..I keep my drapes shut..bi-level house. Grandkids toys out for days without them here..no I don'have the one and 18-month olds pick up..grandma's house is fun..not a teaching place for the amount of time I have to take off quilting ! I do not like dead lines.self imposed or by request.
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

My laundry is done and the bathroom clean. Dishes are hubby's job. And I did vacuum the sewing room this week. Its clean enough to live in.... LET'S QUILT

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
    My dishes are done..mainly to cook dinner again.Laundry is done, I can prove that for the mountain on the couch. Ground level..I keep my drapes shut..bi-level house. Grandkids toys out for days without them here..no I don'have the one and 18-month olds pick up..grandma's house is fun..not a teaching place for the amount of time I have to take off quilting ! I do not like dead lines.self imposed or by request.

You described my house, except without the children's toys--dog toys instead. Hubby wants socks, well those are in the laundry basket in the spare room-- underwear too-- fold them while you are in there if that is important to you. There are 4 baskets in there to fold--git-r-done! Dishes are done, bathrooms--- well the health department would not give it the white glove, but then , I did not invite them in. Deadlines? I enjoy the swishing noise they make as they fly by!
    Truly, when you look deep, our houses may not be magazine cover ready, but it is lived in by people who enjoy life. I will get the laundry folded, the bathrooms will be cleaned, the house will sparkle, but not today.

My sewing room always looks like a hurricane just hit. Can't even imagine what friends have as a first impression...OMG!

Yep, I can understand! Yesterday, I finished a couple of tops .... ready to sandwich and quilt. But that will have to wait cause my granddaughter and her family will be here on Saturday for a week's visit..... no quilting this week. Anyway, I cleaned up my sewing area and put away the tops. My DH came in and said, things really look nice in here. Most of the time, I'm too busy quilting to do all that other stuff!

Laundry, dishes and bathrooms always done. I can walk on scraps of fabric that don't bug me. But I don't want to walk on piles of laundry, No room to leave it in baskets or I would, I hate folding clothes. Can't stand to wake up to dirty dishes, also have a real dislike to dirty bathrooms. Thats just me.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Before I became addicted to quilting, my house was always immaculate! Now, it gets a lick and a promise (spring and fall cleaning are more thorough). I decided that, when I am gone, no one will remember the clean house...but people will (hopefully) cherish the quilts I have made for them.

Exactly WandaVA...
    Haven't been to one cemetary and found a headstone that says "She was a good housekeeper".

dd
    My drapes aren't pulled. What are you talking about? lol
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Once I was told the dishes had been in the sink for 3 days. My hands were sore after very busy days at salon. I told him he could stick them where the sun didn't shine. Next day he installed a dishwasher because there were butcher knives in the sink and he thought a dishwasher would be less painful. If he gets to the clean clothes before I do, he puts his own undergarments away unfolded. His thinking is, if anyone can see the wrinkles in his shorts they have "REALLY" invaded his space. I always give the house a lick and a promise to do better the next time.

Blog Entries
    My Living room and kitchen are usually OK, however, the rest of the house usually looks like it was turned upside down, shaken, then righted, with fabric in every room. We have a big party every year, so I clean for that. It takes 2 weeks to straighten.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I like a clutter free, clean under the fridge type home. It's easy to clean a clean house. Now my sewing room is never like that. I cannot keep it organized or non messy at all.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WandaVA View Post
    Before I became addicted to quilting, my house was always immaculate! Now, it gets a lick and a promise (spring and fall cleaning are more thorough). I decided that, when I am gone, no one will remember the clean house...but people will (hopefully) cherish the quilts I have made for them.
    Sounds like me.

Funny how we all have our own styles. I can't relax in my sewing room until the housework is done. However, because my children are grown and out of the house, it takes little to no time to pick up every night before bed or in the morning. When the grandchildren are here, I have to have all the toys picked up before I go to bed. I know I'm anal, but it works for me. I'm not critical of those who can relax when things aren't done. If anything....I'm jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I like a clutter free, clean under the fridge type home. It's easy to clean a clean house. Now my sewing room is never like that. I cannot keep it organized or non messy at all.
    It gets dirty under the fridge???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
    It gets dirty under the fridge???

Have you not removed and cleaned the grid of the fridge before? It get's filthy under there. And uses more power if coated in layers of dust. The intake draws in dust under the fridge and inside on the compressor. DH moves the fridge and freezer away from the wall about every six weeks using moving sliders. It's effortless.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quilting is way more fun than housework. My sewing room also looks like a hurricane went through. As for vacuuming, I'm still recovering from knee surgery, at least that's my excuse for now.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Have you not removed and cleaned the grid of the fridge before? It get's filthy under there. And uses more power if coated in layers of dust. The intake draws in dust under the fridge and inside on the compressor. DH moves the fridge and freezer away from the wall about every six weeks using moving sliders. It's effortless.
    I need some sliders!!

Interesting topic !!

A burner on my stove messed up, it is arcing the contacts. So hubby said to order a new part and he will replace it.
    I so love having a handy husband around....
    Anyways I went about looking for the model number. And discovered to my horror..........a few dust bunnies near the hinge of the oven door!! Who knew these mean creatures loved extreme heat...LOL
    No worries though......My house is getting it's semi yearly total clean out. Everything out of the cabinets, closets, cupboards, drawers all get cleaned. My husband does the high work like the shelf that runs the length of the house gets vacuumed , scrubbed and all the items up there get dusted. He also changes the filter to the C/A every 6 weeks due to my allergies. And carpeting gets shampoo'd too during this frenzy..........LOL

I should mention this whole cleaning spree takes about 3 days to complete.
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 06-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Oh I can so relate! I have the upstairs all to myself as DH can no longer climb the stairs. Every so often I HAVE to vacuum and straighten, fold the laundry. The downstairs is always reasonably clean. And I do clean the fridge grid every so often for the reason BellaBoo mentioned. With three always shedding dogs and a shedding cat you would be amazed what coats the dark underside and innards of a refrigerator. I have decided that housework is necessary work and creativity can be messy business. I'd rather be creating than cleaning.

But I always make the bed in the morning. Once the bed is made it looks as if I have really done something besides sew.
    Last edited by Caroline S; 06-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Sweet Caroline

I look at it this way there is clean dirt and dirty dirt. People come to see me not my house, I hope anyway. I sew like Elenor Burns then one sweep and into dust pan.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
    My sewing room always looks like a hurricane just hit. Can't even imagine what friends have as a first impression...OMG!
    This describes my house exactly, but not because I have been quilting. I have been working, aaarrgh!!!!

I live alone - every now and then I hollar the maid (me) and tell her that I'm going to fire her if she doesn't keep the vacuuming up, laundry done, etc. I remind her that I'm too busy quilting to keep reminding her to do those.

I spoil myself with a cleaning service that comes in every 2 weeks. However, I spend that morning picking up and putting away so that they can do their job. Ends up working out pretty well, as I don't have enough time to make too big of a mess between cleanings. I also have my Dad for dinner every Sunday, so have to at least straighten up a bit. It's forced clean up, which is the only reason it gets done. My husband is a great helper, so often I cook and he cleans - works for me.

I have not been quilting too much but I need a clean house and garden then I work on my "quilting hobby" as my husband calls it. When I get too frustrated that I can't keep up the cleaning because I get too busy at church, family stuff, babysitting grandchildren my DH will call a cleaning lady to come in and catch me up. And she will do windows! DH says that I when I am not a happy camper he does not like to be around me..haha

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast