Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downsizing >

Downsizing

Downsizing

Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Instead of buying new clothes and accessories for this fall/winter, I hosted a "New To You" party for about 15 of my friends. It was potluck for the food, and everyone brought their purses, earrings, accessories that they no longer want or use. We made a big pile in the middle, and we all got to "shop". We had a blast, and have made plans to do it again in the Spring. We all saved a bundle, and got lots of new ideas and outfits for nothing. I even had two of my sewing machines set up for people to make quick repairs or alterations.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM

We've bargained our price down with the TV satellite company over $75 a month, same service lower price. Stopped long distance service on land line phone line. We have to keep phone to have internet here in the country, but make all long distance calls on cell phone. See all movies on TV, no entertainment budget. No new clothes for me, only essentials for husband as he is losing weight. Eating cheaper meals at home. Cutting back on usage of electricity to save on electric bill. Not replacing shrubs killed by summer heat and drought.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Same as a lot of folks here. Gave up TV/Satellite, haven't purchased fabric since January of this year, no dining out, cooking extra servings for hubby to take for lunches, shopping sales and with coupons, scaled down all possible household expenses and I watch my dollars like a HAWK now!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM

DH and i have always been financially responsible.

the only thing we've changed is how far we're willing to drive to a quilt show now that the price of gas is so high.

we are putting every spare penny into the stock market though - DH and i have always been long term investors in the stock market and the prices are low now and they certainly won't stay that way for 20+ years - which is how long we intend to keep the money invested.

we're also thinking about buying another home for investment purposes now that its a buyers market and rate are so low.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM

I started couponing....and it has saved me tons...going again tonight...it is worth every penny...but we are finally doing okay financially with me couponing....
Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM

We pay cash for anything we want. If we dont have cash, we dont buy until we do. ZERO credit card debt and soon to be vehicle payment free!! whoohoo, what a great feeling.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
We pay cash for anything we want. If we dont have cash, we dont buy until we do. ZERO credit card debt and soon to be vehicle payment free!! whoohoo, what a great feeling.
We, too, are a cash-only basis. We have no car payments and no mortgage...we paid off our house June 2009!

We pay our utilities and our cost of living...the rest goes into retirement accounts and savings.

I am a couponer and save us a couple hundred dollars a month doing that.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 PM

since Walmart matches competitors' prices, I spend an hour or so each week comparing all the ads from the various stores around here to make my grocery list. and I clip coupons.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
QM
Power Poster

DH and I just moved from an 8 acre place with 4 outbuildings to a mobile home park. I now have all my sewing stuff in what was the dining room. I have 2 fewer sewing machines. I have to be more conservative about buying anything now. Yes, we cut back our dish TV level. we found good new homes for our 2 parrots and our husky-wolf mix. We sold our travel trailer and our box trailer. My kitchen is much leaner as to equipment, storage, etc.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM

For 3 years ago my husband lost all of his overtime. He had worked it steadily for 8 years.
Then the hours got cut to 20 a week.
I had no idea what I would do. But we have managed to make it. I just thank God everyday we still both have jobs
Last year out house payment went UP over 200 $$ a month (new school higher property taxes. and now we have a school income tax)
Needless to say.
We do not eat out.
My son started packing his lunch.
We dont go anywhere that isnt needed because of gas prices.
I use coupons everytime I shop. The prices of groceries are crazy I feel like crying everytime I leave the grocery store. Everything cost more and is packaged smaller. We eat ALOT less meat and alot more pasta. I usually by store brand unless I have a really good coupon.
I cut the cell phone minutes.
I turned off my internet for a month so I could get back in at a 15 dollar monthly rate.
I havnt bought any fabric in months.
We dont buy new clothes unless absolutley needed.
I closed charge cards so we could get a reduced interest rate.
We are trying to move back into the cash only times.