Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drafting complex blocks >

Drafting complex blocks

Drafting complex blocks

Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
Is there any way you could make a card board or stock paper template, cut the star pieces out of muslin, sew them together and make a mock-up block to see how it work? I like to do that when making a garment to get a correct fit. Looks like it could be used for a complex block... just a thought, imho. However, I certainly am not an expert in block making. Would love to see your results though.
I want to post the block draft and also my sewing results (I have the central star sewn but NOT sure about the integrity, seemed like everything was a different size!) but I need to figure out how to post photos...I have a mac and somehow it's fussy with boards. Let me try though...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 AM

OK, let's see if this worked. I have hopefully attached a photo of the block I want to sew with a draft of the block next to it, out of Jinny Beyer's Patchwork Portfolio.
Attached Thumbnails img_0033.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

This is a beautiful design. I am assuming you wanted to fussy cut fabric like Jinny did to acheive the same tile mosaic effect.

If that were not the case, I would have drafted it quite more simply than drawn out with 8 triangle meeting in the middle like a kaliediscope block. However, I have to agree that the block's beauty is definitely in how Jinny used her fabric and fussy cut motifs for specific areas.

The center hex shouldn't have given you too much trouble. I would have drafted it like a mariner's compass star using a compass drafted circle for the center hex. Then once I had drafted my first 8 star points I would have drawn straight lines across where the star bases met the inner most circle to get my hex. From there I would have continued to draft like a multi pointed MC. However, I can see where those outside bits that form the background of your star would give you a lot of trouble. This definitely is the kind of block that would be best adapted to hand peicing. You should get Judy Mathieson's book "Mariner's compass setting a new course" she gives great directions in how to draft star blocks like this in any size.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 PM

I am sorry, I don't have a suggestion, but I would love to see your block (even your practice one) when you get it together. Please post a picture. Good luck
Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM

I've read this thread, don't have a clue about the drafting, but i'm looking forward to seeing your quilt!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and ideas. I tried to sew the central star and it was just way off in terms of the template so when I went to the next step of setting in the following star, well, it was a disaster.

Apparently I can't get EQ because I'm on a mac, so I think I am back to the drafting board, literally...

The photos are giving me trouble to send but I will try to send my two previous drafts and my little off kilter central star...
Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 PM

I haven't forgotten about you and I've been working on it. I'm having a problem putting the smaller triangle points of the background stars. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to add it after. I'd like to post a PDF of what I've got so far but need to know what the finished size of the block will be.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Here are the drafts I have done so far, they are not accurate enough for good templates nor is the enlargement of the Jinny Beyer block from the book (repeating myself I know, just to be clear)...the little inner star I did isn't accurate as all four lines are a little different from what they need to be.
Attached Thumbnails img_0036.jpg   img_0037.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 03:02 PM

Interesting - my Jinny Beyer Encyclopedia has a block with this name but it's a bit different. I'm including the beginnings of that block as a JPG.

The octagon on mine is in a different orientation. I don't think mine's going to work at all for you.
Attached Thumbnails sea-pine-star.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Here is the enlarged JB block draft - my mac won't let me post the inner star for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails img_0035.jpg