Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dry iron vs steam iron

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The dry iron has a solid sole plate, no steam holes. This allows for a hotter surface, even heating and no imprint of the steam holes on the fabric which is horrible for applique pieces especially if you are using fusible. If you want steam it's easy to spray with water. The steam iron with no water still leaves imprint. The newer irons seem to have smaller steam holes but more of them.

The dry iron new is under $25 so no big expense at all to have one.
    I took BellaBoo's advice and bought the flat dry iron and i LOVE it. It's all I use!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I like my Rowenta steam iron-I think I get much flatter seams with steam.

I've been checking thrift shops for a dry iron - no luck. I might just have to break down and order one.

The preference can be decided by each individual, like for me dry iron is a better as compared to that of the steam one as it get hot within seconds and even after switching it off i can continue with my ironing work for at least 5 to 10 min that help in saving some of my money as we all know that iron consume a lot of power.
    But for my mom steam is a preferred on as because of the steamed water the squeezes get removed within second.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i use a dry iron so that there's no chance of dribbling anything on my quilt pieces. the dry iron does not have steam holes to leave little 'bumps' on the fabric. i know... seems silly... but that's just me.

i save my expensive steam iron for projects that require steam.
    I like the flat plate of the dry iron as well. I keep a spray bottle at my work station so that I can spritz the fabric when I want steam.

I've had several irons leak and spurt hot water, which I don't care for at all.

Cheers, K

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    I like my Rowenta steam iron-I think I get much flatter seams with steam.
    I agree. Just bought a new Rowenta (they seem to last me 10 years) Master. I steam and starch those seams flat as a pancake. LOVE IT !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Vintage dry iron + non-aerosol Niagara spray starch = smooth + awesome piecing
    For me, it's about the process; the final outcome is incidental

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2