Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dry skin caused by quilting? >

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 AM

I make a lotion of Johnson's Baby Lotion (pink bottle), vitamin E cream, and Vaseline Extra Dry lotion. Mix all together and pour into jars or bottles. Works well. Also sometimes use Udder Cream.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 AM

Great post and so many fantastic suggestions. For those of you that use bag balm or udder cream did you know if you go to a farmers supply store like a grain elevator or tractor supply you can get it so much cheaper.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

The shelves are full of all kinds of dry skin relief. I think Gold Bond is the best seller because it's always sold out first. I buy Bag Balm from a LQS. A big container will last almost forever. Be sure it is the original, in the green tin container. Some LQS sell it in the tiny tin, cute, for quilters who have sore underneath fingers. It heals up chaffing fast.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-16-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:43 AM

Default quilters lotion

Originally Posted by Viquilt View Post
I wash all my fabric to get the chemicals and iron when ready to use with a spray water bottle. I'm a dried up old lady but never have a problem with my hands. Vi
Last year I was on the quitville.com and read about a homemade hand lotion. I make it at the holidays and give it to all of my quilter friends. It works great, you can put it on, and quilt away, no grease and no damage to material. Your hands feel like silk. Here's the recipe I order my creams from Drugstore.com or the natural food stores. 4oz.Vitamin A Cream,4oz.Vitamin E Cream,2oz. of Creamy Baby Oil,2oz of creamy Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Mix with a mixer and package. This stuff is awesome. I even have told the store clerks about this and bank tellers. As a past teller I can tell you your skin becomes so dry. Hope this helps. It takes work but it is so worth it.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:47 AM

I have a "recipe" to make my own hand cream, and it works great and is inexpensive if anyone is interested...
Old 01-16-2014, 05:47 AM

my doctor told me to always pre wash my fabric as it is so full of formaldehyde as the ends of my fingers use to even split open washing before using has really helped me and I also use udder cream
Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 AM

Many lotions make my chapped hands itchy, so I now make my own cream. Mix together with a hand mixer: 8 oz. of coconut oil (I use Lou Ana's found in the baking aisle)
8 oz. Vitamin E cream
16 oz bottle of any baby lotion
I soften the coconut oil in the microwave about 10 seconds before adding the remaining ingredients. Your skin absorbs almost immediately & I haven't had any cracked fingertips or heels this whole winter. If you are interested, Google coconut oil, it has many healing benefits.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 AM

I often use a spray bottle filled with distilled water to mist the air in my house in winter, when the air is dried out by heating. It really helps my dry eyes and skin feel better. If I get static when I pet the cats I know it's time to spray. I also use coconut oil on hands and face before bed-it's oily at first, but that's gone in a few minutes--and rubber gloves when washing dishes.

Last edited by suzanprincess; 01-16-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 AM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

Coconut Oil is what I use for my hands, face and neck. I put it on before bed and I use cotton gloves on my hands.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 AM

If you wipe off your palms and bottoms of your fingers (use some water) after you use lotions on your hands, you minimize problems with transfer to fabrics or slippery needles.