Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dry skin caused by quilting? >

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM

My hubbie has used Working Hands for years. His hands crack and split when he is hunting.
I hate to buy it anymore because the size is half what it used to be and the price has almost doubled.
BUT it is a great product.. so I do get it for him.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM

I don't feel like I have dry skin from quilting... BUT I have dry skin that really gets on my last nerve. My favorite lotion is Sween Cream by Coloplast. I kepp a tube of the once a day moisturizing cream in my desk and use it often. It doesn't stink.. but it has a smell that is not in any way perfume.. sort of reminds me of an ointment smell. But it really works
Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 AM

I too have very dry cracking hands made worse when handling fabric. A quilting friend introduced me to O'Keeffe's Working Hands. It has made all the difference for me. Men apparently use it since I first found it at the hardware store. It comes in a little green jar, is not greasy, and I can carry it in my purse. Bed Bath and Beyond also carries it here in Michigan.
Gives great grip when working with fabric pieces also.
Lea in Michigan
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM

For those who like the Vaseline spray lotion (I do as well), make a note that St. Ives now also has a spray lotion. I'm going to try theirs as soon as I can find it. They usually make great products.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 AM

I use Udder Cream when quilting, it is greaseless, odorless and works well. Ykou can find it at Target, Kmart,Walgreen's and walmart. It is in a container that looks like spotted cow hide [think Chick fil a]
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I make a lotion of Johnson's Baby Lotion (pink bottle), vitamin E cream, and Vaseline Extra Dry lotion. Mix all together and pour into jars or bottles. Works well. Also sometimes use Udder Cream.
I use the same formula except I use regular vaselline (not lotion) but add some olive oil - works as well as anything I've bought. I use pure extra virgin olive oil on my face & legs.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

I love O'Keeffe's Working Hands. This is the best stuff I have ever used and I have used a lot of stuff on my hands when I was nursing.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 PM
amr

I have the same problem. I know some people can't wear gloves but what I do is put lotion on my hands and put on a pair of latex gloves. My hands are small so I do have to keep sliding the glove fingers up but when I am done and I take my gloves off my hands are so soft. My biggest problem is when matching seams if you don't pin, the glove fingers get in the way.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
Hello all... it seems that when I've been hand quilting my fingertips get so very dry... Am I alone? And what wonderful formula do you use to combat this? I don't often get to hand quilt, but am trying to finish a project and have noticed my fingertips are so SO dry! I know winter is partly to blame, but it seems that handling the fabric as much as I have has had an increased effect on the dryness. Help???
I use Shea Butter in a little can......not greasy and makes your hands soft.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 PM

Oh friends... thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions!!!! I"m going to start trying them a few at a time, to see which ones I like! Like many of you, sometimes lotions feel so greasy... and I've seen many of these products, but just didn't want to spend for them, unless I knew they would be helpful. So THANK YOU!! I'm excited to try to make my own, too, from the recipes shared here! Wow.. This is great... No more dry fingertips!!!!! YAY!!!