Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dry skin caused by quilting? >

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Thanks to all for their input on this very interesting subject. It made me delve into the controversy about petroleum jelly being carcinogenic. More can be found here:

http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com...Jelly-Safe.htm

Myth or fact? You decide.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM

I started using udder cream cross stitching many years ago and still do with quilting. It is not greasy and I can go right back to what I was doing after applying it. The skin is tougher on the ends of both first fingers but they have never cracked or bled. I have Voltaren gel (RX needed) an arthritis cream for my hands that I have noticed works well as a hand cream. It is greasy going on but after a few minutes it is completely absorbed and the pain is gone for a few hours.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:30 PM

I use Wool Wax Creme AT-10 Formula, 9 oz jar. I discovered this while traveling through Montana, where it is made. I have always had sensitive skin and am allergic to most everything. I needed to get something for my dry and cracking hands and the heels of my feet. This Moisturizing lanolin based Creme was first created as a protective cream for a nuclear division of a contracting company. I buy it by the half dozen, to get a break on both pricing & shipping. My DDIL, who lives in Norway, started using it about 5 years ago. She says this is the only thing that helps her. Just google Wool Wax. I'm not connected to this product in any way, just a very satisfied customer.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM

It seems all of us have our favorites. So here is mine "Udderly Smooth" udder cream. The first time I found it was at a quilt shop because it is not suppose to leave any residue that would get on your quilt.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 PM

ONE MORE OPINION!! I just discovered BEE BAR by Honey House Naturals. I live in a cold climate and rarely bother to put on gloves. This bar moistens the rough spots and is helping my hands. The information says that it does not come off on fabric or paper. I found it at a Christmas shop last fall and have purchased it online. The small bar comes in different scents and it seems to be working to keep my hands from drying out.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 PM
yel

Ok ladies ...how about corn huskers lotion it works great when shucking field corn by hand [back in the old days ]
Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou View Post
Not only do my hands get dry, but I need help for my fingernails. They break and peel off constantly; I do wonder if daily sewing has anything to do with it. I am using Nutra Nail, but still have the problem.
HELP!
I had the same problem. I was told to use flax seed oil. It comes in capsules, so you don't taste anything. You can buy flax seed oil in a bottle also, but it is not very stable, so it must be used before the expiration date. I also use milled flax seed, and love it on my cereal. It makes great muffins, too. And it's great for the digestive system.

My fingernails are much better since I've been using flax seed oil regularly. And it tastes good on the cereal or in muffins.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Power Poster

Diseases of the autoimmune variety often cause thickening and splitting of the skin. For my hands I have been using Swisse Hand Cream with Vitamin F and Pomegranate. My husband bought it for me and it seems to soak in nicely and doesn't make a mess of my projects. I am going to try some of the suggested lotions and potions for my feet. So many of the heel balms contain Urea....I don't know if it's just me, but I can't stand the smell.....to me it literally smells like pee. I wear footwear all the time and have incredibly thick/cracked heels, toes etc. worse if I go barefoot or wear flip flops. My husband jokes that I need an industrial grinder. My feet literally destroy all the gentle and ladylike footcare products.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 PM

I get terrible "winter skin" and found 2 things that help--"Heeltastic"( as seen on TV! LOL!) really does work--just put it on before you put on socks. And Curel Hand and Cuticle Treatment--it's very silky feeling, isn't greasy, and stays on even after you wash hands. And thanks for the information on B12 for skin and Flax oil--used both in the past, but need to start both again.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 PM

Olive oil works good.