Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dry skin caused by quilting? >

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Dry skin caused by quilting?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM

I have had problems with my hands for more years than I can count -- Currently, I use Burt's Beeswax with Almond Milk. It does leave a residue, so I wouldn't use it and go directly to a quilt. I find if I use that at night, my fingers and thumbs do not get so dry they crack and bleed. That split on the end of the thumb really hurts. Something else I use if my fingers/thumbs get to the point they are very painful, I apply Abreva (for fever blisters), together with a little Neosporin and a bandaid! I know it's hard to quilt or sew with bandaids, but sometimes you've just got to! THIS WOULD NOT WORK FOR ANYONE WHO IS ALLERGIC TO ALMONDS OR NUTS OF ANY OTHER KIND!

Just my two cents' worth!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 PM

In addition to quilting, piecing, etc., I also knit (did that a lot while I was recuperating from back surgery) and that absolutely makes a desert of my hands. I'd get to where I couldn't even hold the knitting needles!

By the way, Gold Bond Healing is pretty doggone good, too! The Burt's Beeswax with Almond Milk is expensive, but it goes a long way!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 01-16-2014, 10:37 PM

Just a note here: dry skin to that severity is one of the symptoms of Vitamin B 12 deficiency. This is a common condition for women over 50. You may need your Vitamin B 12 levels checked by your doctor. Vitamin B 12 replacement therapy does wonders for dry skin. Just a thought here.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 PM

You might want to try Gold Bond Diabetic lotion. Being a diabetic I tried it and LOVE,LOVE it lasts 24 hrs. non greasy. if it works for my dry skin should work for others .
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
Just a note here: dry skin to that severity is one of the symptoms of Vitamin B 12 deficiency. This is a common condition for women over 50. You may need your Vitamin B 12 levels checked by your doctor. Vitamin B 12 replacement therapy does wonders for dry skin. Just a thought here.
Thank you! I didn't know that. I need to start taking those multivitamins I bought..
Old 01-17-2014, 05:08 AM

I have found Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil cold pressed works better than things I have used in the past. Absorbs quickly and really makes your hands less likely to crack.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 AM

Coconut oil...rub it well into my handquilting fingertips every night and again when I get up. I like the cold pressed, organic, non-processed kind I get at Sams Club. Works for cooking and facial moisturizer as well.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
You can find the Vaseline Spray and Go at WalMart, it is with the lotions. I like it because it absorbs quickly, I use it everytime I dry my hand in the kitchen..but my thumb still drys out and cracks.. Aquaphor is a good lotion it is almost like vaseline but it it medicated.
Aquaphor is what I have been using, but it does leave a bit of an oily feel to the hands. Yes, it is very good for healing. I use it at night or when I won't be working with fabric. I will definitely look for Vaseline Spray and Go. This has been a very enlightening thread.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 AM

I use Gloves in a Bottle. It is wonderful and will last through hand washings as well. http//www.glovesinabottle.com
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM

Angry Weak, breaking fingernails

Not only do my hands get dry, but I need help for my fingernails. They break and peel off constantly; I do wonder if daily sewing has anything to do with it. I am using Nutra Nail, but still have the problem.
HELP!