Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy December,No Stress >

Easy December,No Stress

Easy December,No Stress

Old 12-10-2010, 07:30 AM

I always make fudge for friends. Last year I gave fudge to everyone and their cousins. I made 16 double batches of fudge. Cut it all into one inch squares and packaged in Christmas tins. It was all I did last December. This year I just said NO!. I haven't made a single batch of fudge and I am enjoying Christmas so much more.

I made my Granddaughter a Dora quilt and tote bag. I made my daughter and son-in-law a "Go Ducks!" quilt and a U of Oregon wall hanging. I have been having so much fun in my sewing room. I have also been shopping online and having my purchases sent directly. I am really enjoying the Christmas season much more this year. I think I am going to make it a yearly thing.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM

I start early like in September. I freeze cookie dough and then back when I want. Put them back in the freeze and ready to go. It is a great stress idea. Same things with gifts, but I don't put them in the freeze.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 AM

I am not feeling it this year. Our DD wasn't here for TG and won't be here for Christmas either. She will be on a plane to Afghanistan. this is her second tour there. We still have the 3 GKs but they are little and don't like to eat dinner anyway , so we are getting what we want precooked. How appropriate that I broke my ankle 3 wks ago. ha Ha.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Sorry to hear you broke your ankle.Bet that hurts! No wonder you aren't feeling the holidays,with DD gone.How worried you must be.LOL@the kids not likeing dinner.Just enjoy them when you can.They'll love Grma anyway....

Originally Posted by granma1
I am not feeling it this year. Our DD wasn't here for TG and won't be here for Christmas either. She will be on a plane to Afghanistan. this is her second tour there. We still have the 3 GKs but they are little and don't like to eat dinner anyway , so we are getting what we want precooked. How appropriate that I broke my ankle 3 wks ago. ha Ha.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:10 PM

If you truly have people to shop for that have everything they need and do not need more "stuff" think about a gift to a charity in their name. I give a larger gift to one charity in the name of all the recipients. Except for small children, they have all seemed to appreciate this. Of course, the kiddies still get packages. Many people want to give to worthwhile causes but get caught up in the Holiday to-do and feel relief that someone has done some good for others and they get the benefit of generosity without effort.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM

I usually keep a box in the closet, that I throw good deals in through out the year. If it is for a speciific person, then I attach aname of recepient on it. Then around Christmas I go shopping through this box. If I do not use them all, then they get carried to the following year. Great for a last minute gifts.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM

I agree. We started cutting back on family gifts when we started giving more to several places that help ppl in need.This yr, there's a huge need of most everything from cash,to food,shelter & clothing.Charities are overwhelmed & can use anything ppl can share.

Originally Posted by crankygran
If you truly have people to shop for that have everything they need and do not need more "stuff" think about a gift to a charity in their name. I give a larger gift to one charity in the name of all the recipients. Except for small children, they have all seemed to appreciate this. Of course, the kiddies still get packages. Many people want to give to worthwhile causes but get caught up in the Holiday to-do and feel relief that someone has done some good for others and they get the benefit of generosity without effort.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM

I think we have all lost track of what this day should be like. It's not about the gifts or decorations that we get, but they do help with the mood. We need to stop and think of who's birthday it actually is and give Him the gift of our time.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
December can be ohso stressful. This year the family are all going to their inlaws for Christmas and kind friends have invited us to them. So no lists of shopping, small gifts that can be posted are the order of the day and life is terribly stress free.

Important to me as I have just started College. Getting back into learning mode is difficult after all these years and I wanted time just for me. Selfish perhaps, but there are many more Christmases in me.
not selfish-----smart lady !!!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
I am somewhat shocked to learn Christmas is two weeks away, I don't believe I have done any shopping yet...Ruh Roh! LOL....
ROFL!!!! that's funny - Shocked to learn Christmas is 2 weeks away - on December 25 - who would have thought! LOL

Thanks for the smile.

No Ho-Ho-Ho Spirit here - don't listen to the music - haven't baked anything - someone else put up the tree cause I didn't care if it went up at all - Oh well - before I know it it'll be December 26th - Yipee!!