Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easy December,No Stress

Blog Entries
    This is the December I've been coming to for quite a while.Cutting back every yr on quilted gifts & doing my shopping in the Fall.Doing more shopping on line & having gifts shipped directly to the recipient.Using less decorations & enjoying them more.
    Dec is my gift to myself. If I want to sew, I do, or not as the case may be, no deadlines.Same with baking/making goodies.No rush.I have time to look & admire all the quilts etc posted on here.We have time to see the Christmas light show,time for whatever interests us.We spend a couple eves with TV off,going thru old pics of family yrs ago, many no longer with us.Time for Chevy Chase's funny holiday movie,seeing "It's A Wonderful Life" & loving all the music of the season.
    No more Black Friday shopping! It is in many ways, the best gift I ever gave myself.Don't know why it took so long
    to happen.Maybe it's just age?

Blog Entries
    I normally do the same and it's so nice to be able to enjoy the season without all the stress. But this year I just wasn't in the mood to shop. So now here I am still trying to figure out what to get people who already have everything they need or want. Hope you enjoy your holidays.

Blog Entries
    That is great! We all deserve a break from the hussle and bustle. Sounds like you are really enjoying.

Ours is going to be the best ever. My son is 4 and he is so excited about Santa coming. He askes us every day if it is Christmas yet hahaha. I love to see the world through his eyes. As we do get older, we forget the real meaning of everything....The stars in the sky, the color of a butterfly, and how soft a plush toy is. I try really hard to lock all those memories away, so I dont forget. hahaha

Its great that you are really enjoying this year!

This year my Grandkids were here to "help" us put up the tree. That day was not the day i wanted to do it but it turned out to be a blessing. I didn't get out all the stuff this year and when we were all done decorating, i noticed that it looked so much better with some things still packed. I used probably half of the normal wall and window decorations and i like it like this...simple. My gifts are all bought so now all i need to do is bake my cookies and wrap. All in all a much more calm pre-Holiday!

Blog Entries
    I, too, have taken the time to breath in the season and the reason.

December can be ohso stressful. This year the family are all going to their inlaws for Christmas and kind friends have invited us to them. So no lists of shopping, small gifts that can be posted are the order of the day and life is terribly stress free.

Important to me as I have just started College. Getting back into learning mode is difficult after all these years and I wanted time just for me. Selfish perhaps, but there are many more Christmases in me.

Sounds wonderful and will need to do it next year! Life is just to short for all the stress.

Sounds wonderful!

I eliminated stress from the holiday too. I stopped doing my super crazy professional wrapping. I let 5yo dd completely decorate the tree (hardly any decor above 4ft...lol), only made three quilted gifts, and finished all shopping weeks ago. Now I'm just finishing up the last quilt and simply wrapping one or two gifts a day to get them under the tree...I'm loving it! Usually I spend hours and hours and more hours and hours intricately wrapping and decorating and baking and and and. I gave it all up and feel much less stress this year.

I'm trying for that next year for me too!

Blog Entries
    Just wondering- how many decorations do most people put up? Many people have mentioned it being such a chore. Maybe I am decoration-deficient because there are just not that many to put up- I cant imagine it getting to be that much work.... how many does one house need? Most of ours are things the kids made and they all go on the tree. I have lots of things (from pre kids) that dont get put up at all some years.
    My main stress in December is the year end in work- can anyone make that go away?!!!

I've got to finish my last gift project (a tied couch throw for dd's teacher) this weekend and also put the tree up. I've been too sick to do it before. Black Friday and I will never meet up again---once several years ago was enough for me. I've cut back on my list of gift giving, shopping, decorating, cooking, etc. DD and I do make cheese balls or cookies for all the neighbors and several friends but we do that after she gets out of school for Christmas break. I'll bake a ham and make some veggies for Christmas dinner but there's just the three of us so it won't be much.

Blog Entries
    Hate crowds so no Black Fridays for me. I do my shopping early and this year..on line rules. Got the same deals and better... I got 6 yards of flannel for 1.79 a yard. yeah me! Not sending hard cards or making cookies and candy. We don't really need them and they just add pounds. I got two gradbabies this past year. Treating myself to a first birthday party in Tampa with Maverick, and will be taking care of Miss Lily starting in January. God is great and I am blessed! Decorations are at a minimum... neices think I am a great aunt. They got lots of decorations and I simplified my life. Merry Christmas to all and a blessed New Year.

This year I made nothing for gifts. The oldest 3 of my grandchildren are in college so a check on the tree for them. The next four are all teenagers and I can't buy for them...so a cash on the tree for them....the younger 7 live far away so a check in the mail to their mothers so she can buy something from their christmas list from Nona and Grandpa. My children each get a family check large enough to count toward what ever they need or want. I send my mother flowers because she doesnt dust anymore and has at least duplicates of everything I can think of. And I have been doing charity sewing this month for me. I sounds like a perfect Christmas to me! It has taken me a long time not to push doing too much at the holiday time.

Maybe it is age, but this year I cut back on Stuff. I am only sewing what I really want, (doll cloths for two little girls on the angel tree) not decorating or baking til I am so spaced out I cannot even enjoy the season. My daughter and I are even taking a P.J. party quilting class tomorrow. It has been the best year ever.

Blog Entries
    Love the sound of your PJ quilting class. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie612
    Maybe it is age, but this year I cut back on Stuff. I am only sewing what I really want, (doll cloths for two little girls on the angel tree) not decorating or baking til I am so spaced out I cannot even enjoy the season. My daughter and I are even taking a P.J. party quilting class tomorrow. It has been the best year ever.

Blog Entries
    Been there......We also do gift certifs or cash for Grkids & DDs.The Grkids are into all things electronic that we have no clue about.Thankfuly,everyone is working,so our gifts go for whatever goodies they want.They're happy,we're happy.No crowds to fight & then ending up with things needing returned.So glad to be done with that.We "payed our dues" so to speak with the DDs & Grkids when little,from cutting down trees & making sure Santa gave them a nice Christmas.
    Dec is my fav mo, just sit back, enjoy & do exactly what we please :-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nona
    This year I made nothing for gifts. The oldest 3 of my grandchildren are in college so a check on the tree for them. The next four are all teenagers and I can't buy for them...so a cash on the tree for them....the younger 7 live far away so a check in the mail to their mothers so she can buy something from their christmas list from Nona and Grandpa. My children each get a family check large enough to count toward what ever they need or want. I send my mother flowers because she doesnt dust anymore and has at least duplicates of everything I can think of. And I have been doing charity sewing this month for me. I sounds like a perfect Christmas to me! It has taken me a long time not to push doing too much at the holiday time.

Good for you. I am somewhat shocked to learn Christmas is two weeks away, I don't believe I have done any shopping yet...Ruh Roh! LOL....I don't know that there is much I need to buy though...its feeling anti-climatic this year....
    (20 years of retail will do that to you!!!)

Blog Entries
    It only took one very stressful Christmas for me to change everything. Never again no matter which Aunt, in law, cousin, sibling, or bratty kids got miffed about it. Now I buy pre baked cookies and cakes of every kind and always get everyone's favorite. I won't bake myself to death for a holiday. I don't cook Christmas Day, I buy everything pre cooked. I heat it up and have a buffet of eat when you are hungry. I don't do kitchen clean up, everything is disposable. I cook big meals during the year so the holiday is for me too. The tree goes up a week before Christmas and usually comes down the day after. I usually pick out one gift and buy it for everyone. This year everyone is getting a Kindle. The kids get gifts from their wish lists. I bought the big pre lighted tree that goes together in a minute. I hang the house decorations while DH sits out our yard decorations and plugs them in. Usually some need new lights. We have a big Christmas Eve playing Secret Santa/Dirty Santa then all the kids sleep over and we have Santa on Christmas morning. My kids all live close by and they like being here for Christmas. I think my girls (no boys) miss being pampered a little so they want to be here for Christmas. It's just DH, kids and spouses, grands and me, no relatives. Christmas night I usually go to a movie with my girls and grands while the guys stay home and watch tv and sleep.

Every Christmas I've learned a little more to reduce my stress level for things such as gift giving. I've quit trying to "make" so many difficult or time consuming gifts. This is the first year I've ordered some gifts on-line and what a blessing it has been to my stress level. Who would have thunk???!!! LOL

I always make fudge for friends. Last year I gave fudge to everyone and their cousins. I made 16 double batches of fudge. Cut it all into one inch squares and packaged in Christmas tins. It was all I did last December. This year I just said NO!. I haven't made a single batch of fudge and I am enjoying Christmas so much more.

I made my Granddaughter a Dora quilt and tote bag. I made my daughter and son-in-law a "Go Ducks!" quilt and a U of Oregon wall hanging. I have been having so much fun in my sewing room. I have also been shopping online and having my purchases sent directly. I am really enjoying the Christmas season much more this year. I think I am going to make it a yearly thing.

I start early like in September. I freeze cookie dough and then back when I want. Put them back in the freeze and ready to go. It is a great stress idea. Same things with gifts, but I don't put them in the freeze.

Blog Entries
    I am not feeling it this year. Our DD wasn't here for TG and won't be here for Christmas either. She will be on a plane to Afghanistan. this is her second tour there. We still have the 3 GKs but they are little and don't like to eat dinner anyway , so we are getting what we want precooked. How appropriate that I broke my ankle 3 wks ago. ha Ha.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear you broke your ankle.Bet that hurts! No wonder you aren't feeling the holidays,with DD gone.How worried you must [email protected] kids not likeing dinner.Just enjoy them when you can.They'll love Grma anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by granma1
    I am not feeling it this year. Our DD wasn't here for TG and won't be here for Christmas either. She will be on a plane to Afghanistan. this is her second tour there. We still have the 3 GKs but they are little and don't like to eat dinner anyway , so we are getting what we want precooked. How appropriate that I broke my ankle 3 wks ago. ha Ha.

If you truly have people to shop for that have everything they need and do not need more "stuff" think about a gift to a charity in their name. I give a larger gift to one charity in the name of all the recipients. Except for small children, they have all seemed to appreciate this. Of course, the kiddies still get packages. Many people want to give to worthwhile causes but get caught up in the Holiday to-do and feel relief that someone has done some good for others and they get the benefit of generosity without effort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast