Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eleanor Burns came to my house....WOW

EB is just as fun in person as she is on her show. She is a delightful person making her audience participate in her presentation. She was promoting her book Star Across America who's blocks are named after prominent women. When she asked who this block was named after, I kept replying Eleanor Roosevelt. I eventually won a campaign button that says EB for president. It always makes me smile.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Eleanor Burns visits me often. I catch myself saying out loud just get rid of it as I toss scraps. You know you watch too much you tube when your husband ask you if you are Eleanor Burns! LOL
    Those who sleep under a handmade quilt, sleep under a blanket of love!

I clean as I go and that doesn't always keep things neat. The larger scraps get put in a scraps basket to cut later, but when I look at what I saved sometimes I think I was a dope for saving such small pieces.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I have adopted the Eleanor Burns method! I find it easier to clean up all those threads and snips at the end of a sewing day , rather than trying to keep up. Oh sometimes I take a break and tidy , but I let the snips fall where they may. I think El was on to something when she started just tossing.
    Lori, you described me to a T. My OCD personality was costing me way too much time just picking up snips & scraps til I finally started using the "Eleanor" method. So much easier to just sweep or vacuum when my project is finished or when I can't stand it any longer. I do like to start my day with a clean floor though but have learned to live with scraps for awhile. I always like to put my tools away, too, but I'm trying to resist that urge now. LOL

I have adopted the Eleanor Burns method! I find it easier to clean up all those threads and snips at the end of a sewing day , rather than trying to keep up. Oh sometimes I take a break and tidy , but I let the snips fall where they may. I think El was on to something when she started just tossing.
    Much as I would like to toss my scraps a la Eleanor Burns, I have to keep my scraps off the floor. I have 2 "very helpful" cats who would pick them up and play with them and leave them all over the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Milli View Post
    I clean after every project time is wasted cleaning during a project.
    that my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Could not have said it better! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Milli View Post
    I clean after every project time is wasted cleaning during a project.
    that my story and I'm sticking to it.
    My thoughts too!!!!

Blog Entries
    I find it amazing where threads and scraps turn up!

One bad side effect when you leave threads on the floor and have a chair with wheels, is that all those threads get stuck in your chair wheels. It's a chore to get them out, since most wheels don't come apart these days. A needle-nose pliers & a seam ripper are the tools you have to use. Hope you don't get sore fingers!

I thought she lived here! I need to get a different color carpet...this one shows way to many threads..
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Power Poster
    I do believe that she sneaks in at night to spread scraps and threads everywhere. I was selling Bow Tucks bags, as well as other quilted items at a craft fair on Sat., and I kept picking threads off them all day long. LOL. Those pesky threads follow you everywhere. I do like her seemingly carefree attitude about scraps and threads, she has a great sense of humor.

*LOL* I used to obsessively put every tiny unusable fabric piece in the trash basket next to the table. One day my DH had moved it elsewhere. I'd just watched Eleanor on RFD channel and thought "What the heck!"

How liberating! Now Eleanor visits me every night.

We have marble tile floors, so the cleanup is a breeze: a couple of minutes once a week and the whole quilting room floor is clean ... a few more minutes and the upstairs floors are all vacuumed.

Did I mention that the first thing we did when we retired is rip out every dang carpet in the house?
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

You all are so funny with your posts here.. Thanks for the many laughs you've brought to my day.
    we had a cat who compulsively ate string. He cleaned off a whole fishing pole once and devoured my daughters violin bow. It is a wonder this habit did not kill him. And our dogs seem to find pins, even when I think I have been extremely careful. So that has sometimes given me scares, but otherwise I won't sweat the small bits of fabrics if they miss the trash cans.

Blog Entries
    Julie, I love what you wrote. Eleanor not only came to my house but she took over every room in it. GGL

Blog Entries
    Is THAT what happens!! I didn't realize it was Eleanor... Here all this time I thought it was just that my sewing room was so excitied to see me that it EXPLODED with joy! I know everything is always out waiting for me to come in for a visit. :-) Yikes!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...AC3300A534.png Life is good when you're busy with babies.

Blog Entries
    A GENIUS mind cannot be bothered with rubble, total focus gets it done right.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

DJ
    LOL! This is such a great thread! I have three strategically placed waste baskets, together with a box to throw usable (but not by me) scraps in (intended to mail to a QB member when the box is full). I still have a EB mess to clean up. What fun!

I love the Elanore method of sewing, scraps, thread etc. all on the floor and then sweep it up. I do have containers to put it in, never seems to get into them. She visits here often.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    LOL that's my kind of quilter.
    I so agree, I would be having way to much fun to care! I find snippets long after I have cleaned up. Even when changing the sheets every week! They just follow me everywhere.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

I love it when I see her just throw a scrap over her shoulder. So cute.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Isn't that what the floor is there for, to catch the scraps and threads???
    But not the pins! I take time to magnet them up whenever I take a break.

The one I wouldn't want to see is Bonnie Hunter - she would be crawling all over the floor and rummaging through my paper bag full of scraps and bits, and she'd probably find enough material to make a quilt! Anything too small for a leader/ender, out it goes, in my opinion!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I wonder if that is why Julia Child was so messy ... no time to clean up when you are busy making a fancy French dinner! I just thought it was part of their charm
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

my sewing room gets picked up every other week, the day before the Molly Maids come.

Blog Entries
    I adopted this method also. After aiming at and missing the trash can at least half of the time, I thought "why bother"?
    It's just easier to use my long handled dustpan and broom to sweep up before I leave the room. Now I don't throw usable scraps on the floor - I have some small baskets sitting along the edge of my ironing table that I drop scraps into. The only stuff that goes on the floor is too small to sew with.
    Last edited by misseva; 11-19-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    That woman is everywhere... and so are the threads, tiny slivers of scraps and lordy knows what else on the floor... lol
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast