Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ... >

Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ...

Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ...

Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM

I have spray basted with hair sprey on two all quilts. It holds very well. I am not sure it would hold on a bed quilt long enough. Sure beats basting or pinning!!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM

Her basting technique using boards and hand basting is on You-tube. Can't remember if it was on the same video that she mentioned that you could also pin. You could do a search on here too. I remember this subject has been brought up a number of times and I believe the link was posted at least once.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM

I went to her web site and tried to sign up for her news letter but the form would not load, are any of you on the QB on her newsletter list?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Elmer's washable school glue is wonderful for bindings. I just compared using 505 spray baste and Elmer's washable school glue on placemats the other day. The school glue worked much better for repositioning prior to tapping it with an iron. Personally I like the glue better and my arthritic hands do also. Roxanne's basting glue with the metal tip is great but found I had to squeeze too hard. My joints were aching in my right hand when I was done. I will try diluting it a bit next time. I am planning to use the washable school glue on the baby quilt I am finishing up. I will probably pin my quilt layers on my design board (a flannel lined plastic tablecloth) to pin my quilt and glue baste.

A note on the clean up after spray basting. It is washable so a damp mop should make things untacky.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM

To: DogHouseMom
Don't worry about glue "gumming" up your iron. It's washable, remember?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 AM

I have 4 nails in a hallway wall along the ceiling line. When it's time to baste a quilt, using a small step ladder, large binder clips are hung from those nails. 1) clip backing to the clips (RS to the wall) 2) clip batting to the clips.....STAND BETWEEN them and spray baste. It doesn't take a lot. Step out, smooth your two layers. 3) clip quilt top to the clips (WS to batting-RS toward you). STAND BETWEEN batting and quilt top and spray baste. Take the quilt down, lay in on a flat surface and do some minor adjustments. I usually put a few pins along the outside edge. Just did this method with a friend using Dritz spray baste. It had no smell and worked just as well as mine. I use Ann Tailor...it does smell...but I like that :-)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 AM

I use the Elmers Glue for binding...but I do a little different. After placing a small amount of glue onto the binding, I lightly press that area. the heat seems to dry the glue faster, and flatter with the iron. After hand basting, it all washing out very nicely.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM

I just bound a wall hanging with Elmer's washable glue. Wasn't real happy with it but after reading this it appears I needed to iron it to get it to dry faster. Getting ready to do another one, so will try that...I really like the idea of the glue to hold the binding so I can get it on right....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM

I simply use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batting. No spraying, gluing or pinning!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM

Love, love, love this thread. I hadn't senn or heard of using boards before!