Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ... >

Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ...

Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM

"I like the results I get using Sharon Schamber's method of basting with the boards."
What do you mean by the boards?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM

I buy my 505 from Connecting Threads. Nearly every time I place an order for fabric, I add a can to the order. No extra shipping and never run out.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I used the Sharon Schamber board method and spray basted instead of thread basted the last 4 quilts I basted. It works really well. But I'm about to run out of spray baste and I don't have a LQS close to get 505 and I'm not very fond of the other brands of spray baste so I'm really thinking about trying Elmer's if it's a quilt I'm going to wash anyway.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by lsmft View Post
I have 4 nails in a hallway wall along the ceiling line. When it's time to baste a quilt, using a small step ladder, large binder clips are hung from those nails. 1) clip backing to the clips (RS to the wall) 2) clip batting to the clips.....STAND BETWEEN them and spray baste.
Oh, Barbara - this sounds very cool! This may work in my narrow little hallway if I take a couple of pictures down. Do you put anything up for overspray? Laura
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM

What does the glue and 505 do to your sewing machines??
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM

I have tried to use the Sharon Schanber method.. but I could not keep the fabric tight enough around the boards..
can someone please tell me the trick to this one??? thank you so much..
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by qltrwannab View Post
I have tried to use the Sharon Schanber method.. but I could not keep the fabric tight enough around the boards..
can someone please tell me the trick to this one??? thank you so much..
Blue painter's tape.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Overall I think it took more time than it would to hand baste because I did sections and had to wait for each section to dry ... but it gave me the chance to do other things while waiting AND *I* wasn't basting!
At least you don't need to wait for it to dry when you get to the binding part of the process after your quilting.

...you just run the iron over it and poof! it's dry and ready for then next glue section. If you are looking for her binding technique See her u-tube video it is super. There are 3 parts so watch them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Last edited by suziehammond; 12-05-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM

I have used the basting spray from wal Mart and it works great.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM

When you use Elmers glue for quilting you can press the glue dry with your iron
Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 AM

Hi Jan in VA.

I have now used both methods 505 spray and Elmer's Washable School Glue. I find that I love the 505 Spray glue but the cost is high. I buy it online in the red can for about $13.00 a can (I buy it by the case). The 505 washes out completely and is easy to FMQ if you use a light hand when spraying. If I overdo it, my machine gets finicky. I am now on my 3rd King Size quilt using the Elmer's Washable School glue. I am very pleased with the results also, but because it has to dry (I am not going to iron those big quilts!) it does slow the process down. I drizzle the glue in about a 14 inch path across the batting starting in the middle and and then smooth it out. Batting backing let dry overnight and then top to batting overnight. Cost wise the school glue is more affordable (leaving more money for fabric!) A gallon of Elmer's School glue was 13.00 on Amazon and with do about 22 quilts I figure and I can get maybe 3 from a can of spray.
I hope this helps you in your decision. I have not used glue sticks - I would wonder if the batting would stick to the glue stick ( experienced gluer with sticks here from teaching) No, it has not been stiff either but I am still perfecting the correct amount to actually use!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I keep reading these post about Elmer's glue and am "this" close to giving it a whirl. But, a couple of questions:
When using the stick, does one completely cover the surface with it?
Or with the liquid?
Is it just a light swipe?
Does it feel stiff when it dries before quilting?

Does the basting spray wash out when the finished quilt is washed? Which one is preferred and why?

Any other tips or pointers for a wary gluer-to-be?

Jan in VA