Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's Glue >

Elmer's Glue

Elmer's Glue

Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I don't use any brand but Elmer's. It's too cheap to look for cheaper. This is the glue that is used for basting. If you have trouble squeezing a fine line, just dab tiny dots of glue and then spread with a clean paint brush. Usually smoothing the fabric will remove any big dots I may have. If you store it upside down you won't have a dried up tip when you use it next.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by judy5cents View Post
I too am in love with washable school glue. I am surprised that someone is not selling it as "quilters glue" and charging outrageous prices!

I love that I can get my "school supply fix" this time of year. Nice to stock up on stationary items at good prices.
Judy don't give them any ideas, please!!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Go to YouTube and search for "glue basting a quilt". The 2 part tutorial by Slightly Off Quilter shows how to water down Elmer's School Glue and use an atomizer to spray the batting. It's works well and you don't end up with blobs of glue and the layers will stay together for a long time. I have one I glue basted a month ago and haven't gotten around to quilting and it's fine. Don't like the other sprays because of the fumes and Elmer's is cheap, odorless and safe!! Try it.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Aunt Annie, several people apply the glue by first diluting it, then using a small painter's tray and a sponge roller -- just like painting a wall, but smaller and with glue! Keep in mind that every square inch does not need to be covered with glue. Think more like basting with safety pins. You just need a little bit of glue every few inches to keep the quilt basted. If you leave large gobs of glue, these can become hard spots for your machine needle to get through.

Edit: I have arthritis in my hands and would never try to use a spray bottle to baste with glue. In my experience, repetitive stress of this type aggravates arthritis.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by muskratwine View Post
Go to YouTube and search for "glue basting a quilt". The 2 part tutorial by Slightly Off Quilter shows how to water down Elmer's School Glue and use an atomizer to spray the batting. It's works well and you don't end up with blobs of glue and the layers will stay together for a long time.
Somewhat of a chore getting through her tutes. I know she mentioned this was her first time doing a tutorial. It seems she added an extra step or two but it works for her.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I didn't know there was such a thing. Is it sticky like 505? I hate that overspray so I rarely use it. Maybe this would be a better answer.
Elmers spray glue works great and is so much cheaper. I tried to get another can with my 1/2 off coupon yesterday and Joann's was out naturally.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM

I can never find it at my Joann's. ugh.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Elmer's spray glue is not washable. At least the spray cans I've found aren't. And it does have a strong fume odor. I have used it for making banners.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 PM

I'm going to try using a foam roller next time. Dribble it on and then spread it with a roller. I iron as I go so that the part I already did is nice and secure since I use a table that is smaller than the quilt.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I use Elmer's spray glue.
Never heard of that. Where do you get it?