Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's Glue >

Elmer's Glue

Elmer's Glue

Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd View Post
Ok. Decided to give this a try. My conclusion is that I prefer my spray baste to glue. I sandwiched my quilt on the floor. Even though I stood above the quilt and lightly drizzled glue on the backing, I didn't know until I went to pick it up, despite how lightly I applied the glue, it went through the fabric. So I will stick to my spray adhesive. I use my tempurpedic mattress to sandwhich on and I can't afford to get glue going through the fabric and if I'm careful with spray basting I don't have to worry about overspray. And by sandwiching on my mattress, it saves my back.
I always drizzle the glue onto the batting, the pat down the fabric onto the batting....the glue won't go thru the batting and I can be 100 percent positive that there are no wrinkles or tucks because I can see what the fabric is doing.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I use Elmer's spray glue.
I haven't came across Elmer's "Spray Glue", do you make it or is it store bought. I'm disabled & don't get out much. Almost all of my purchases are done online, so I'm interested in this "spay glue". Thanks a bunch for any help on this matter.
Jeri
Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 PM

I use school glue stick for narrow hems or basting 2pieces together. Dab, stick together, iron then sew works better than pins in tight or small places.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM

Too thick maybe. Mine was slightly stiff as though well starched, but not hard. A very thin drizzle and then smooth it around.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by GemState View Post
I have a little trouble squeezing the bottle for the length of time it takes to do the job, so I experimented and diluted the glue until it would spray a fine spray out of a spray bottle. I used warm water...not sure if that made any difference but I think it 'softened' the glue a bit. I just sprayed, then rubbed my hand over the batting and joined the two layers together. I have done all of my last quilts this way and it is wonderful. I lay them on the bed and can get them REALLY smooth AND don't have to worry about overspray. When I'm done I take the sprayer part off the bottle and run some warm water into the sink and dipping the end into the warm water I spray several times to clean out the sprayer. Put it back on the bottle and you are ready for the next time.
what a great idea. I, too, have trouble squeezing the small bottle for a length of time. What are the amounts of water to glue, you used?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I haven't came across Elmer's "Spray Glue", do you make it or is it store bought. I'm disabled & don't get out much. Almost all of my purchases are done online, so I'm interested in this "spay glue". Thanks a bunch for any help on this matter.
Jeri
You really want to use glue that is water soluble so it will dissolve and disappear when the quilt is washed. There are several types of Elmer's spray glue on Amazon, but most people don't use it because most (perhaps all?) of the types are not water soluble. Some people dilute Elmer's washable school glue with water so they can use a spray bottle to apply it, but I think it is easier to dilute the glue and then use a mini paint tray and foam roller to apply the glue.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd View Post
Ok. Decided to give this a try. My conclusion is that I prefer my spray baste to glue. I sandwiched my quilt on the floor. Even though I stood above the quilt and lightly drizzled glue on the backing, I didn't know until I went to pick it up, despite how lightly I applied the glue, it went through the fabric. So I will stick to my spray adhesive. I use my tempurpedic mattress to sandwhich on and I can't afford to get glue going through the fabric and if I'm careful with spray basting I don't have to worry about overspray. And by sandwiching on my mattress, it saves my back.
I have learned the secret is to lay the batting down first...apply the washable elmer's glue..then lay the backing on top. Even out the wrinkles. doing it with the batting first keeps the glue from soaking through to the floor...or table. If you iron it at this point it makes the glue dry quickly and no mess. Then turn it over and finish with the top. Works great. I hate pinning the layers. It hurts my hands. Glueing is the way to go.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Elmer's spray is an adhesive. It dries permanently. : http://elmers.com/product/detail/E451

I have never found Elmer's School Glue in a spray. Who in their right minds would give a classroom of kids each a spray container of glue? LOL
yeah...it HAS to be the Elmer's washable school glue. It washes out.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM

Wow, every time I read this Board I learn something new....Must run out and buy a whole bunch of Elmer's glue...Thanks for the great tip.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
Wow, every time I read this Board I learn something new....Must run out and buy a whole bunch of Elmer's glue...Thanks for the great tip.
Elmer's School Glue-don't forget the "School".