Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidering on Quilts >

Embroidering on Quilts

Embroidering on Quilts

Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I've hooped and done embroidery on MANY to most of my quilts. I've never used or needed stabilizer because the designs I've done have been outline stitching only. So, it looks usually as good on the back as the front. I wouldn't do anything other than outline stitching on sandwiched quilts. Anything will fill stitches would look bad on the back.
Right, that would be all I would do also. Any other designs I would quilt on the block before they were pieced.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Glad this conversation came up. My daughter started a quilt and wants me to embroider some designs on it for her. I was wondering how I would do it. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I've hooped and done embroidery on MANY to most of my quilts. I've never used or needed stabilizer because the designs I've done have been outline stitching only. So, it looks usually as good on the back as the front. I wouldn't do anything other than outline stitching on sandwiched quilts. Anything will fill stitches would look bad on the back.
Right, that would be all I would do also. Any other designs I would quilt on the block before they were pieced.
Candace, do you hoop all three layers of your sandwich then when you are embroidering the designs? If not, how do you do it? Mine would be outline stitching also.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
With all the layers of the quilt I don't use any stabilizer.
If you are using a basting stitch you must have stabilizer hooped so there is something to baste to.
Yes to who ever said they use linework only. I agree with that because you can make your bobbin thread the same as the top if wanted and have a reversible design.
As per the question as to find basting stitches, Just do a search for free basting stitch designs. Many machine brand sites have them as well as digitizers who have free designs.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by JudyM
Originally Posted by nursie76
Candace, do you hoop all three layers of your sandwich then when you are embroidering the designs? If not, how do you do it? Mine would be outline stitching also.
Yes, I've hooped all 3 layers at once. You have to be careful with the full weight of a quilt on the arm. You may have to arrange boxes, or cradle it while the machine is embroidering. Some people move it to the floor as they say it helps with the weight. I would think this would add drag to the arm, but you could try it if you have problems with the weight. I've never had to do this, but I've mainly embroidered twin and below sized ones.

I've never basted it in the hoop. Though my new machine does have some built in basting stitches so I will probably do that in the future, because it wouldn't hurt. I've also never used stabilizer as the batting acts as a stablilizer. Though, you could use a water soluble topper and wash away on the bottom. All of these hooped with the quilt. It depends on your design etc. I would always recommend doing a sample first to test which and how many layers of stabilizer would be needed if at all.