Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machine Lovers - July, 2012 >

Embroidery Machine Lovers - July, 2012

Embroidery Machine Lovers - July, 2012

Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM

I bought a used Bernina180E, not really intending to use the embroidery module. I've not used it yet, but love the other features of the machine. Maybe someday I'll be bored enough to sit down and figure the embroidery part out. Right now, being able to sew a decent 1/4 inch seam is exciting to me!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Some projects for AAQI

I have a brother 780 embroidery machine and I love it. Have had it for 3 years, but just really got started on it a year ago. I use embird program for down loading designs. I recently made 4 embroided quilts to donate to AAQI (Alzheimers reseach).

I love looking at pictures, please download your projects:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]346414[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]346417[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]346419[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]346420[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p6040004.jpg   p6040005.jpg   p7020044.jpg   p7020045.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 PM

If all your looking to digitize are simpler items I want to suggest Stitch Era Universal it's a free software and even though it has limitations it is pretty good. I started using it two years ago while I was learning and until I found the software I wanted. It does support all machine files. http://www.freesierrasoftware.com/
Take a look and give it a try.

Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
Do you use any sort of digitizer program with your 300e? I have a 300e and have been looking for help. I want to be able to stitch out quilt labels but haven't been able to learn how I can fit the wording in the hoop. ANY help would be appreciated. If I need to buy software what is the most reasonable and user friendly that I could find? Thanks to anyonewilling to help.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee View Post
If all your looking to digitize are simpler items I want to suggest Stitch Era Universal it's a free software and even though it has limitations it is pretty good.
Thanks for the tip. This is exactly what I need also until I figure out what I want/can't live without.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by chaskaquilter View Post
I traded in my Viking some years ago for a Janome 300 embroidery machine and a Janome 6500. Loved being able to sew on the 6500 while the 300 was humming along. Did a lot of the flour sack dish towels and sold those, did towels for grands and some other things. I do recommend the seperate machines if you want to embroider. Just my preference. I still would like to try machine qulting a large quilt on my 300, but am worried about the pulling of the quilt while it is embroidering and pulling the design out of alignment. Any tips for that?
I quilt with my eb machine. I just make sure to position the machine on a large table, in the center so the wt of the quilt is totally resting on the table and not pulling on the hoop.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Thank you Fraew for steering me to this thread. I need all the help and inspiration I can get.

My mother died suddenly two years ago the end of this month. With a gift she left me I bought a Viking/Hasquvarna/Topaz 30 as a gift to myself from her just over a year ago. I also got one for my two daughters (from grandma). The girls are super clever discovering clip art online and designing embroidery. We are also, for the second year, doing Hoopsister's Mystery Quilt 2012. It's so fun to watch them sew and create. I know mom is smiling down on us.

I just finished putting signatures on siggi squares for Sharon B's siggi swap. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post5337303 I learned alot doing a ton of those. (I'll never use sticky stabilizer again.)

I also just got brave and did my first embroidery picture. It was a little Sun Bonnet Sue Witch for the Wonky Halloween Trade. It was so fast and fun. I may be more brave and try something else.

I'll be checking out the yahoo sites. And I'm thinking I need another machine so I can do hoop work and still quilt.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 AM

Just food for thought. I have the Brother PE770 and bought the 5 x 12 hoop. The largest design I can make is 5 x 7. The 5x12 is good for not having to rehoop, if you want to add another designs beside it. Check that out.

Originally Posted by maureenq View Post
Mine is a Brother ULT that is over 12 years old. I love it and embroider on it almost every day. Very much worth the investment. Here is a question: I saw a site that sold hoops to convert our old machines to be able to sew larger hoop areas. But I can't remember the name of the product. If you know of something like this, please tell us. It would be much cheaper than investing in a new machine to get the larger sewing area.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by carla weeks View Post
I own a Viking Diamond and I just love it. I also have the 5D Professional program. I am still learning it all. They're
a great machine.
I have the Ruby and love the machine. I just got 5D pro, I love working with the cutwork needles and wanted to get into the photo stitching which is why I went with the pro; plus it was a great sale. My dealer is setting up classes this fall for on the days that I'm off so right now I'm playing with it and trying to learn some of its features. I love being able to resize my designs to fit what I'm doing. Now I don't have to worry about what size I'm going to buy, especially when I normally not sure what I'm using them for when I buy them. It's cheaper to buy the smaller ones and now I can make them larger and modify them. I'm excited about learning more embroidery and more of my 5D pro.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by maureenq View Post
Mine is a Brother ULT that is over 12 years old. I love it and embroider on it almost every day. Very much worth the investment. Here is a question: I saw a site that sold hoops to convert our old machines to be able to sew larger hoop areas. But I can't remember the name of the product. If you know of something like this, please tell us. It would be much cheaper than investing in a new machine to get the larger sewing area.
I've never heard of such a thing but I have one thought. You would still be limited to the space available on your sewing bed. The bed has to be large enough to support bigger hoops. Some of these EM don't have alot of extra space to fit larger hoops. I mean if there is something out there that would do what you say; that would be great. You just have to make sure you can fit larger hoops on your machine.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by vhord620 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]346067[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346068[/ATTACH]

Machine Embroidery can be used for quilting too. I have a Babylock Ellegante and I'm sure you could get a good deal on one since the Elisimo is now top of the line. I sew, quilt, and embroidery on mine and just love it. Here's a few pics of some of my quilts I've embroidered. Quilt-as-you-go method is great for quilts using embroidery.
What brand are the she designs you used on your quilt? They are so pretty and such fun! Thank you