Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 149 150
Results 3,726 to 3,733 of 3733

Thread: Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

I also use an external hard disk to back up everything. I have three for my office computer that I rotate out every few weeks. When I start using a new one, I bring my laptop to the office backup it also. I usually end up with at least 3 copies of everything so if one goes bad, I still have another copy.
    Patrice S

Make a backup of that drive online somewhere. I had a mostly full western digital brand external 3 terabyte hard drive die on me last March. ALL of my downloaded designs and ebooks and a million photos were on it, most of it irreplaceable. Years worth. Losing that HURT. When I asked my husband if he could retrieve the data off it (he's a computer guru) the first thing he said to me was "don't you have a backup?" I almost killed him. My external drive WAS my backup and my main storage because my laptop only had a 250 gb drive in it (it's an old laptop). And no, he couldn't get anything off that drive These days I have another external drive.. and everything on it gets automatically and continuously backed up to cloud storage via software called Backblaze as well. It's something like $5 a month and has both Mac and PC versions. I wish I'd had it before that drive died. I lost thousands of dollars of ebooks and music and downloaded embroidery designs and old scanned in family pictures.

Dear Keptwench,

I am sincerely sorry to hear of your losses. But thank you for advising the rest of us.
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

Keptwench, my son had a job with a company that restored data from disk drives. It was expensive, and I don’t know the name of the company, but your data may be saved.
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

I had an extra hard drive installed on my tower just to put all my files on it. So if the "C" drive crashes, my files are hopefully still there and they can just move the hard drive to another tower. Then I have 2 external hard drives to make a backup of those files. Thought my 1st external hard drive had bit the dust so went to my 2nd one. Found out later that what the problem was the cable to the external hard drive and not the drive itself. Luckily I hadn't thrown it out.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I was told by a computer guru that a lot of the time when an external hard drive goes bad it's not the drive itself that's bad. If you take the drive out of its box and install it in a transfer box usually you can save everything. When my old XP computer died I had a different problem though. I put the hard drive in a transfer box and when I tried to move everything to the new computer it wouldn't let me access my files. It straight up told me I didn't have permission to access the files on the old drive. I had to have a guru get into the old drive for me.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    I was told by a computer guru that a lot of the time when an external hard drive goes bad it's not the drive itself that's bad. If you take the drive out of its box and install it in a transfer box usually you can save everything. When my old XP computer died I had a different problem though. I put the hard drive in a transfer box and when I tried to move everything to the new computer it wouldn't let me access my files. It straight up told me I didn't have permission to access the files on the old drive. I had to have a guru get into the old drive for me.

Cari
    What is a transfer box? New one on me!

Quote Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
    What is a transfer box? New one on me!
    I had never heard of one either. When I took my old computer in to be fixed, they told me it was dead but they could save all my files, pics, etc with a transfer box. It's a small box they put the hard drive into and you connect it to another computer or an external drive. It allows you to transfer everything to whatever you connect it to. It only cost about $20 so a small price to pay for saving all my stuff.
    BTW, I remembered a little more about an external hard drive failing. Usually it's the power supply that fails, not the drive itself.

Cari

Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 149 150