Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machines >

Embroidery Machines

Embroidery Machines

Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 PM

The most important part, which ever machine that you buy, is to make sure that it has an easy and sustainable method of communicating with the computer. If it is out - dated technology, you will be forced to pay heaps for upgrades and repairs to keep the thing working. Check out how much each program costs and the costs of the hoops etc.They vary from reasonable to very expensive, depending on the brand. I bought the top of the range and it has never worked properly and the company now says I need to pay $2,500 for a new program. This has encouraged me to go for a new machine and am looking at Bernina 830 or Brother Quattro 6000. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Things change all of the time = "Blessington" is the holding company for Pfaff, Singer and Viking now - the other info is up - to - date as far as I know, except that the lower end Berninas are not made by the parent company.

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
Brother makes machines for Babylock, Bernina is a company all to it's self. Pfaff, Singer, and Viking belong to the VSM group.

Originally Posted by gypsylady5
I wish I had my Brother back! It is a great machine - did a lot of work. Sold it when I was moving and have regretted it ever since. Brother makes the Bernina and the Baby Lock. I love Brother machines!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM

I have an 830 and just use it for little home projects, nothing major yet. Unfortunately, they are expensive. My husband encouraged me to buy one as a retirement gift to myself :thumbup:
Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 PM

My favorite as well and embroiders like a dream.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:14 PM

I have a Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5 It is the most wonderful machine ever.. expensive, yes.. but it is a joy to use and is my last machine, so when DH said "go for it", I did. I love this man, and my machine.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
If you stick to any of the major brands you will like it. They are all good. Find a good dealer and purchase her product. I have Vikings.

My warning (from expierence) is be sure you want to spend the money to do embroidery. It is not just the cost of the machine, that is just the beginning. You then need threads, many many threads, stabilizer, different kinds for different projects, and designs. You will need a computer program to arrange, open and download designs from the internet. Many places for free and low cost designs instead of purchasing those very expensive dealer designs.
This is not an inexpensive hobby.

Jean in MI
I second that! Example I have over 150 spools of thread @ $5 per spool....see what we mean. And this is just for "fun" not business....

:roll:
Old 04-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I'd love to hear and see any embroidery projects. So far I've been working on dish towels I got from the dollar store. I did put a name on a golf shirt but it wasn't easy. Ideas anyone?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterChick
Originally Posted by PamB8s
My husband asked me what I wanted for my 10th wedding anniversary and I have been thinking about an embroidery machine. I don't want to do anything professionally. Just home embroidery, gifts, enhancing quilts. etc. Tell me in your opinion whats a great one to have. Thanks so much, Have a blessed day.
Many of us quilters/embroiders have the Pfaff 2170 machine, the last and best of the "2100 series". If you quilt and embroider, it is the easiest to switch over from sewing to embr. and takes up less space, and is an awesome machine.

I would suggest whatever you decide on, buy a good used machine that someone has traded in via a dealer or private party that has taken good care of it. A dealer will give you lessons which you might need, and service. No need to buy a brand new machine if you are just starting out. Many of us started out with the "embroidery only" machines, such as the Bernina Deco 500 or 600, and those have a small embroidery field of 4" x 4". You should get something with a bigger hoop so you don't have to keep trading up like many of us have. It's like buying a boat ... you will want bigger and better eventually ... and in that regard, you can get a very good used machine if you look. Brand new Pfaff big bad Creative Vision 5.5 will run you around $7,000. The Bernina 830, (choke) about $11,000.

I'd say go middle of the road with a well cared for used machine and embroider away. Get addicted like the rest of us. :lol:
I purchased a Pfaff 2170 from a private individual and while I love it for sewing, I don't begin to know how to use it to embroider. Once she got my check, I never heard another word from her...my fault, I guess. Since the woman knew that I had no knowledge of embroidery machines, I just assumed she would give me a little info to get me started.

Dealers aren't interested in giving classes so...I have yet to use the embroidery function.

Just a word to the wise...don't be like me unless you have a friend who will help you get started.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Bernina I have a 730 Love it
Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 PM

Here is my 2 cents worth,I started out with a used Bernia Deco 500 wich hubby surprised me with for Christmas many years ago and yes you will need thread made for machine emb.,stabilizer and LOTS of patience to learn how to machine emb.but is definatly worth it...I have since bought a singer Futra which will emb. a slightly smaller than a 5 x 6 feild ,though has it's draw backs as you can purchuse for around less than 300.00 but you have to be connected to computor to machine emb.,Hubby bought me a Brother Disney machine last year and I love it,Though this past Christmas was embroidering fleece throws for gift exchange and Disney Locked up and had to take to get repaired ( it was thankfully under warentty )so I used Singer machine and got
gifts completed.You can purchuse a software program that organizes your designs called Ann The Gran ( I highly recommend )and with Singer can use to download design to machine .If I can help Please PM me.I love my embroidery
machines and there are soo many things you can make with them....not only quilts but paperdolls,fingerpuppets,tatted lace,bookmarks,puzzles,games and the list goes on....