Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Question >

Embroidery Question

Embroidery Question

Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 AM

I'm having this same problem right now. I finally had to go to a different thread for the bobbin. I didn't use the same as the top, just a different brand. Now I know that I can't use that combination on that machine.

Also, walking away from it for a while (even overnight) can make a world of difference. {{{hugs}}}
Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Metallic thread is really a bummer until you find what works for you and your machine. After many years I found the answer for my machine. The metallic thread I have the best luck with is RA. I never had any luck with the kind on those little tiny spools, like Sulky. I always use a metallic needle, and I always slow down my machine when I am using metallic thread.
Don't know if you have tried these things, but maybe they will help.
I always use my RA metallic thread with a poly bobbin.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by asmmauer
Originally Posted by amma
Quite often I end up using matching thread in the bobbin to avoid this problem :D:D:D
This is what I do also.
I do the same also. Matching thread
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Perhaps you should try increasing the tension on your bobbin? That worked for me; I used to have the same problem.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Also check bobbin case and besure a little piece of Lint didn't get in the tension for it that little speck can cause a lot of grief so clean out you bobbin area really well then try it
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM

I download patterns quite a bit - and if it is one that I have not sewn out before, I do a test sew before I put it on my project - then I get the feel for how it is going to act and will sometimes even point out problems.

However, yours sounds like probably a tension problem - and I sometimes have to remind myself of the "Lefty loosey - Righty tighty" chant/rule.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:29 AM

What you have are the dreaded Pokies....It happens in free motion quilting as well. Take out your bobbin case and look at the little finger that stands up.....does it have a hole in it? If so, after threading the bobbin, put the thread through it and then insert and bring up to the top as usual. It has the effect of keeping the bobbin thread to the back of the piece rather than more balanced in-between. If you do not have that little hole then you must use a matching thread, try a bobbin thread like bottom line that is very fine and the pokies will be nearly invisible. Bobbin threads are more expensive than regular threads but worth their weight in gold. I use Bottom line in silver for just about all my quilting. It just disappears on the back, especially after washing. The added plus is that it is so fine a bobbin with it will last a very long time, much longer than a regular weight thread. It comes in all colors and small spools so it is well worth the investment in getting a selection, especially if you plan to do machine embroidery. Also it is great for hand appliqué, it just disappears into the work and is very strong so wear and tear will not harm it nor will it rot out as some all cotton can.
Just as a side note, you can make the pokies work for you, mix two, sewing weight, contrasting colors in bobbin and top thread say like a gold in the bobbin and red on the top. Machine embroider as usual and the mix will give you a bit of a gold speckle in the red, a pleasing effect...try it, you might find a new technique to add to your repertoire.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by lisainmo
Make sure that it is threaded correctly and that there isn't something in the bobbin area :)
I had this problem...

It turned out to be a really small piece of lint near the bobbin tension screw. And make sure you thread the machine correctly, mine is rather fussy about that.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 AM

I have one machine that does that consistently -- my lightweight Brother that goes to class with me.

Using a 90/14 needle helps correct that problem or any other tension problems on my Brother. My Brother is crabby about any thread that isn't 50/3, but she accepts all threads if I use 90/14 needles.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Are you using embroidery bobbin thread? Have you tried Superior Threads " The Bottom Line" thread? Change stabilizers and see if that helps. Try using microtex sharp needles if you are using gold metallic thread.