Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7 - is it worth it? >

EQ7 - is it worth it?

EQ7 - is it worth it?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by cedarvalleyquilts View Post
Is there enough "improvement" or added features in EQ7 that would make it worth the upgrade from EQ6? I have EQ6 and it seems to do everything I need it to, but I am just wondering if there is something "special" about the upgrade that would make me just HAVE to have it. I do design a lot of quilts for classes and patterns for the shop, but I'm trying to justify upgrading. Thanks for any info to help me decide

Christine
Well, first of all, I'm not sure if you're aware that the upgrade price is not as expensive as the stand-alone price. Secondly, as someone else said, you can install it as many times as you want, but you can only have it active on 2 computers. This solves a LOT of the complaints that people had about EQ6.
Even though I own EQ6, I didn't use it very much, I got more involved after I bought 7. So I'm not the best person to compare and contrast.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

it really depends on YOU---are you a person who is (apt) to sit on your computer & play with color/fabric/design? do you find yourself visiting the sites with some of these functions-playing on them?
i bought an eq program years ago---tried it- played a little bit--maybe an hour---then months later paid for a class to learn from an (expert) how to use it---left the class feeling as if i knew alot less after than i'd known before i went- i don't think i ever opened it- used it again- i am more apt to grab a piece of graph paper & a box of colored pencils---fabric swatches...for me it seems like i am wasting my time on the computer-when i could actually be doing something- so it's not for me- but i do see people who are more (tech advanced) love it & do great things with it. it's one of those things- if you buy & use computer programs...maybe you could visit a shop that sells it- would demo it for you- help you a bit before you invest---i wish i had done that-would have saved me alot of money.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM

As you can see, it's pretty much a love it or hate it response. If you've had experience with other types of graphics software (Photoshop Elements comes to mind) you'll probably do OK. A lot of the concepts are the same. But if you struggle with computers in general you'll probably have a hard time. Not much help but what it boils down to is you'll probably have to try it yourself before you know.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM

You might want to check out these three blogs. They are fabulous examples of what you can do in EQ, and there is tons of awesome, inspiring eye candy there.

http://patchworkmaniac.wordpress.com/
http://virtualquilter.wordpress.com/
http://waynekollingersquiltblog.blogspot.com/