Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is EQ7 worth it? >

Is EQ7 worth it?

Is EQ7 worth it?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 PM

I use it a lot. I agree it overestimates fabric yardage, but I use it as a starting point. It does a lot of things I don't do, but then so does my phone. I love it for what I use it for.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:39 AM

I have EQ5. For the amount and purpose that I use v5, I have no need to upgrade. I agree with the suggestion to go through Rhonda's tutes. Will give you good insight into it's abilities and if it might be the right fit for you.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 AM

I have EQ6. Never use it. Learning curve is steep, time consuming, etc. I don't aspire to be a designer. Too many patterns are available in the marketplace. How is this for my "opinion"? If you are technical and think like an engineer (detail minded, computer savvy, etc) the go for it! I like the QUILT WIZARD for my easy projects. $30. Owned by Electric Quilt. And I am computer savvy and time challenged.

My 2 cents
sandy
Old 01-27-2015, 06:33 AM

I like it and use it quite a bit, but there are some things I can't quite figure out how to draw in there so I still use graph paper and color pencils too. Probably use EQ7 more than paper though; and even if I start on graph paper I often duplicate my final design into EQ7 as a way of keeping a record of it and also for easy fabric yardage estimates. I let the computer count squares for me. It's also fun to just PLAY in, I love drawing up a new block then throwing it into a quilt and twisting it around different ways to see what sort of patterns emerge. Easy to change colors, etc.

It's not easy to learn but oddly enough I think the less computer-oriented you are the easier it is; the difficulty I have with EQ7 is that it doesn't behave the way most standard programs do in a lot of respects, and since I DO use a lot of software on a daily basis (I'm a programmer) I keep expecting EQ7 to do things that it doesn't; or keep expecting it to do them in a certain way that doesn't match what the program actually does. If you don't come with those built-in expectations I think it's easier to learn and use. The tutorials here from Rhonda are fantastic, too.

I almost never buy quilt patterns. I enjoy drawing them up myself. So if I see a quilt I like, I draw it up and figure out the best assembly method myself rather than buy a pattern. I do mostly simple quilts though, so it's really not difficult and I really enjoy that phase of quilt making. I've "designed" about 10X more quilts than I've actually sewn up!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:00 PM

thank you everyone! I'm going to go check out the tutorials and then research Quilt Wizard as well!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:10 PM

If you've never had EQ, allow me to give you some words of advice. There are a few different quilt design programs out there. Look at EQ as a college course, not a grade school class. This isn't a hook-it-up-and-it-miraculously-works program, and - like college - the teacher doesn't care whether you do your homework (i.e. learn the program) or not. It's your responsibility to learn it. You paid for for your course (the program), and unless you study (i.e. read the book, take online courses, etc) and do the homework (practice what you learn) you're going to fail the class and hate the teacher (the program). This advice isn't to keep you from buying it. It's absolutely the BEST quilt design program out there! It's just to say that it's up to you to make the program work for you.

I've had EQ for years - and I still don't know it as well as I could - but what I do know I love. And I'm well aware that if I really want to learn all the ins-and-outs, I'm going to have to buckle down and really read and practice from the book that comes with the program. My friend Peggi is an absolute wiz at it, and we got it at the same time. She really dug in and learned the program. By the way, the book that comes with the program is a GREAT learning tool. Oh, and the EQ site has great tips, links to lessons, and a forum to help with questions!

Enjoy the program! You're gonna love it!!

Last edited by cindi; 01-27-2015 at 03:12 PM.