Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever lose interest in a project due to criticism??

Quote Originally Posted by 2K
    Now THAT would be a fine name for that quilt..."A Burr in my Saddle". Yes, you should enter it. You've done a wonderful job.

Why not use the entire event as a reason to laugh your butt off. And IF my husband ever uses my machine and messes it up, that's great too. I'm sure I could find SOMETHING to do until my new one got here! He quilts my quilts. He purchased the quilter and the frame, he picked out and purchased my Janome 6500. (I know him well enough to know he'd rather buy another machine than a coffin.)

Men! Learn to laugh at em, and with em, they're really quite funny you know! :mrgreen:
    HELLO, 2K!!!! i love your line about he'd rather by a new machine, than a coffin! lol! :wink:
    sounds like you and your hubby, are a lot like, me and mine. To somebody else, we may sound like we are going at it, but to us...just exchanging jibes, and laughs.
    Met him, he poked fun at me...until I learned how to poke back, now it's second nature. yup, I laugh at him all the time, bc i have become quite good at what he does!!! :lol:

It is a personal thing if you choose to continue or not. Some people can forge ahead and others have to set it aside. Some projects take longer than others do, It is a hame that a comment can make it hard for someone to have joy in what we do.
    I found myself working on a lap quilt for my dad once and while putting together the one block, totally hated it at the time. But I knew that I picked the fabric for a reason and the fact that I have a really hard time pulling out perfectly good sewing, made me continue anyway. The piece sits out on the back on my dad's chair most of the time, hardly ever used as he doesn't want it wrecked, he shows anyone that comes to the house and has gathered it's fair share of compliments.

Some times you have to go with your gut no matter what others think. The quilt as a whole looks so much different that when it is in pieces.

There would also be a whole lot few quilts around if we all stopped what we were doing when someone didn't like what they saw.

Hi Omak,

What a wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing it with me. :) Just goes to show ya, that you never know how things might turn out for folks down the road.

Oh, I don't feel that was chiding, just thought it might be helpful to include some pertinent info to our situation. If I was reading my post and didn't know the circumstances, I might think it seemed petty in the big scheme of things. :) Life is definitely too short, that's for sure. Just a good reminder to me to keep the big picture in focus. Thanks! :wink:

Karla

Thanks for your reply. Interesting topic here. I'm learning so much from everyone on this one. This seems to be one of those close to the heart matters, maybe therein lies the rub.

Karla

Banned
    Quiltgranny, I too have MS. There are days I can NOT get out of the bed. There are days I can NOT spell my own name. No, it is not dementia, it is MS.

MS is what I HAVE, not what I AM. Having MS has been of benefit to me. It has taught me to NOT be so serious with everything, like I always was before MS. It has taught me NOT to be so picky, NOT to be so stressed, NOT to be wasting my time, however much time that may be.

Wanting praise from others for what we do is a strange thing. None of us like being judged, yet we all seek the judgment of others! Ain't that a kick in the pants! When we seek praise, we just HAVE to know that praise MIGHT not be what we get!

Let's laugh at all of this and say, "Ain't no such thang as an ugly quilt!"

Edited: Here is Hell Fire
    WARNING: NOT EVERYBODY IS GONNA LIKE THIS!

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...neseCoinWB.jpg[/IMG]

[quote] Let's laugh at all of this and say, "Ain't no such thang as an ugly quilt!"

Edited: Here is Hell Fire [quote]

I had to jump in here, too. There are so many people that think they "see" the quilt from just a few blocks, but they don't because the concept is in our heads or our pattern books. I know how frustrating it can be to be critized and or 'suggestions' but put it aside so that you don't hate it quite so much.

K2, I love love love that quilt. I love the bright colors, I love the way it's flowing. Hell Fire is a good name for it! Ya done good!!

Hello fellow MSer,

Well, I for one, LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilt! You must be one of the lucky ones that the color red does not bother? Hurray! I'm really glad you finally posted your quilt pic. That is one awesome quilt!

I know it's not dementia, but sometimes getting others to understand why we suddenly can't remember how to make a favorite recipe that we've done for years, or solve a simple problems or.... Yep, I know all about that cognitive stuff!

I also have to agree with you that MS has brought me gifts I might have missed otherwise. One very important one being my quilting and all the friends I have met along the way as a result of my new hobby. Never had time for it before, until I had to quit working. I have definitely adopted a better sense of humor too, and yes I realize that life is too short - we gotta do what we can with what still works on us! LOL :wink: From day to day, we're not always sure what that is, are we? :D

I heard the other day that there are several folks on this board also with MS. Sounds like we're in good company. Keep on quilting and enjoying life!!

Happy quilting,

Karla

Oh my goodness I absolutely love that quilt... what fantastic colours!!

I would decorate a whole room around that quilt... it would be brilliant as a focal point.

I can understand that strong colours aren't everyone's taste, but even if it's not your colours you have to admit they go beautifully together and work! :-)

Love that flaming quilt!
    Took my breath away .... all of you people are starting to produce some breath taking work, is all I can say.
    So, we are going to make the Mariner's Compass with the original plan.
    The Burr under the Saddle will be a fantastic success because no matter what else, the company will be good .
    And, I agree with y'all ... this is a good list to become involved with.

That hell fire quilt would look awesome as a wall hanging in my house. Our house is modern/transitional, with yellows,marigolds, and rust/clay colors. That quilt would look great! I love it- it has a similiar color scheme to several of my rugs in the house!

I have had a rough evening with my step daughter's mother and step father, so I have been crying my eyes out. I love that kid like she is my own, and when they hurt her, I hurt. I have no children, and that kid and I love each other to pieces. She calls me her "mother born from the heart". Reading your encouraging replies has at least made me feel not so bad about the quilt. Thanks guys.

Banned

i just love your quilt!!! its stunning.

how wide are the small strips?

Banned
    ask him if he can do better? trust me. been there done that... :evil: i'm sure it beautiful hun. i say finish it

I quilt for me. This is my hobby. If someone wants a particular pattern, fabrics or color scheme, I rarely volunteer to make the project for them. I make what I love and work on things when I want to work on them. There are no time frames or dead lines, that would make my hobby seem like a job.
    I have taught a couple of friends to sew and quilt, so that they could make their own things. The one gal picked it right up and ran with it and is doing phenomenal work. She would often look at my quilts and say, "OH, I could never" Well, yes she can.
    BTW, your quilt came out great. Too bad it caused so much stress.

Blog Entries
    2K - I don't care about everybody else - I LOVE THIS QUILT! The colors are fabulous. You can be proud. :twisted: Hell Fire :twisted: is the perfect name. You are an artist, too :? :lol: :lol:

I love the hell fire quilt and the western one also. I love the red and orange but then again I love orange and from most of the posts I have read most people do not like orange. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.... Great Job :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:

2K. I love it!!! and there is nothing wrong with the color red!

hold your head up high!

Ninnie

Everybody has different tastes.
    I find the quilts shown in Magazines are awful and so muddled you cannot see the design. Yet they are published and people like them.
    So whatever you make some will like and some will not. Do your own thing and enjoy your art.

Power Poster
    I love the quilts pictured here - the cowboy one is clever - the "Hell Fire" one is AWESOME.

Looks like a simple design with striking colors. Love it.

Camillacamilla - so sorry the criticism has you bummed.

We would like to see pictures of it - Is it remotely possible his comments may have some justification?

I love the comments about - well, if it's so doggone simple and easy, then YOU do it!

And yes, I have also lost interest in a project from criticism - even when the criticism is my own.

Fiddlesticks black isn't "evil"
    Black makes other colors pop like no other color can ;)
    I've done a couple quilts with black as the bg and I love how it makes
    the colors seem so much more vibrant.
    You're the one that has to be happy with it not hubby.
    So long as "YOU'RE" Happy with it, what everyone else thinks is irrelevant.

I like the hellfire one it's the perfect name for it and the cowboy one looks great as well you can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Quote Originally Posted by camillacamilla
    Well, he made me feel bad about it, so I reworked the backgrounds incorporating dark blues into the black and gray. Now it is completely NOT what I envisioned it to be. I honestly don't think I have the heart to post a pic of it. It isn't even fully pieced. I just worked SO hard on the Mariner's compass, and on additional stars(which were shades of red/orange/yellow), I just hate it now.
    .........This says it all.

You should keep at it the way YOU had originally envisioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
    I quilt for me. This is my hobby....... I make what I love and work on things when I want to work on them. .
    I wholeheartedly agree with this, also.

When you first decided that you wanted to make this quilt, was it for you or for your husband? If this answer is *you* then you should please yourself. If it was for your husband, then I wouldn't blame you for taking his comments to heart. If the quilt was made for the family, then you should still do as you please. If your husband thinks there should be a blue sky tell him to learn to make his own quilt.

[quote=2K] Here is Hell Fire
    quote]

No, some of us just LOVE it! LOL!
    One size never fits all - just know that it is beautiful to some eyes. Sometimes I have passed on things that did not appeal to me, but someone else loved them. It's the way of the world.

Here is Hell Fire
    No, some of us just LOVE it! LOL!
    One size never fits all - just know that it is beautiful to some eyes. Sometimes I have passed on things that did not appeal to me, but someone else loved them. It's the way of the world.

farscapegal
    I don't care what people think and if I like what I am doing and they don't I keep on sewing.

I have not liked something I started and will stop working on it but only because I didn't like the way it was going. I usually just take it apart and use the pieces in something else.

Sybil

Quiltgranny, I too have MS. There are days I can NOT get out of the bed. There are days I can NOT spell my own name. No, it is not dementia, it is MS.

MS is what I HAVE, not what I AM. Having MS has been of benefit to me. It has taught me to NOT be so serious with everything, like I always was before MS. It has taught me NOT to be so picky, NOT to be so stressed, NOT to be wasting my time, however much time that may be.

Wanting praise from others for what we do is a strange thing. None of us like being judged, yet we all seek the judgment of others! Ain't that a kick in the pants! When we seek praise, we just HAVE to know that praise MIGHT not be what we get!

Let's laugh at all of this and say, "Ain't no such thang as an ugly quilt!"

Edited: Here is Hell Fire

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...neseCoinWB.jpg[/IMG]
    I love your quilt. I can almost feel the warmth coming off it. Love the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
    Camilla, I think I know how you're feeling. The wanting of others to ohhh and ahhh over what we've made. I've told my DH & kids upfront if they don't like one of my quilts, they better fake it or I'll be crushed! lol!!!!! :wink:
    Just remember his opinion is only his opinion, it is your quilt! :thumbup:
    And post us a picture of it!!! Odds are I'll be very green with envy over your choices!!! :D
    There are things I do around the house a certain way, and hubby thinks they are sort of silly - a waste of time.
    Ok, I rotate things. Rotating groceries is an excellent idea, but I also rotate the clothes and linens when putting away laundry.
    He says, "Why do you bother, i just go in drawer and pick out the one I want."
    I said, "I know, but as long as you don't let me see you do it, we're both happy."
    About five years ago, I got the nicest car I have ever had.
    We had some very bad hail, and it got 4,600 dollars worth of damage to it. Took it to a body shop and the gist of it is: the owners wife called and we had a conversation about their guy coming on Monday, (2 days away),...told hubby, and he stayed home from work. He did not want a stranger in his garage, etc.
    Ok, won't put all the details, not important, but a few days later, both owner and his wife, denied that she ever called me. i was so stunned, I couldn't think of what to say. They were denying anybody called me.
    Ok, how did I know to tell hubby, and who was the guy, that came on Monday, and took my car, and how come the car was at their business, when they finished with it?
    I know the story might be a little confusing, but the point is this:
    Because these ppl upset me so much...before the storm, I washed and dried my car, every week. Cleaned it and vacuumed, did all the vinyl and windows, pampered it, like a baby.
    They did an excellent job on it, but the denials, and making me look like I was nuts...I have washed that car once, in past four or five? years.
    We take it thru carwash, now. I still clean it, but no babying like I used to. I just don't feel the same way, and it's MY car.
    We just associate certain experiences with objects sometimes and it is really hard to get over.
    I know your feelings about your quilt might not change, bc hubby can't take back what he said, but I would tell him, how he made me feel, and the affect it has had on my being able to work on it. He should at least know, not to do this again in the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast