Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever NOT been able to 'relate' to a machine?? >

Ever NOT been able to 'relate' to a machine??

Ever NOT been able to 'relate' to a machine??

Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Sadly, yes. Not a featherweight, but the machine my mom bought me for my 18th birthday. We never bonded. I even stopped sewing for a time because it wasn't fun. I've had it for almost 50 years, but I'm giving it to my cousin next week. She found a good home for it and I hope the bonding experience happens. I too love my computerized machines with all the bells & whistles!
Old 03-09-2016, 04:05 PM

I think we are all spoiled by our modern computerized machines. But what a pain and expense those are when they break down. I've collected several Vintage Machines over the yrs obsessed with their look and how easy they are to maintain by just oiling/greasing, they never let you down. But like the rest you play for awhile and then they get stored away. Even found myself a great Treadle got it in working order and said "when we lose electric I can still sew. Well, we have and I haven't.
I will keep to display in my future "Dream Sewing Rm" in a hse we are designing to build next yr and maybe even turn them on once in awhile just to hear the sweet sound they all make. So diff then those modern machines.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:38 PM

I'm with you! I have 2 Berninas. Not top of the line, as I have no interest at all in embroidery and can't justify the cost of a newer model to get the BSR - the only thing I covet.

The problem with my beloved Berninas is that they are HEAVY. A metal machine is going to be. So I bought a very highly rated Janome Platinum Jem to take to classes, retreats and sew-ins. I had a Jem Gold that I quickly traded for the Platinum, hoping that having the better of the Jems would satisfy my desire for a computerized, lightweight machine.

I've used it a couple of times; it sits in a wheeled case, unused and unloved. I should do something with it, but do not have the box (how dopey was that?) and just haven't faced dealing with advertising, packing and shipping.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I don't think anyone buys a Featherweight nowadays to replace their main sewing horse, LOL! It's a novelty, and can be used to take places where you will only need to piece two layers of fabric together-- such as a class. If you are looking to bond with it further than that you will be disappointed, to be sure.

I have bought 3 FWs... one that runs on British current, for my daughter in England. She left it with her MIL when she and hubby moved to America. Then I bought two more, as I found them for very cheap. One is at my daughter's house where she lives now (in case she ever gets a 'wild hair' to sew), and one is here with me. I've used it a little but really enjoy just setting it up as a decoration more. I bought a wonderful Singer 301 which can take the place of the Featherweight as a portable to take to classes or wherever. With it's gear driven motor, it's a much stronger sewer than the FW, and it's slant needle and easy access bobbin are much more user-friendly. But it only weighs 5 lbs more than a FW! I love this machine. It sits in it's cabinet but can quickly and easily snap out to be carried around as a portable. To me, the 301s should be much more desired to collect than the FWs.

I also have a 1908 Singer model 66-1 treadle machine that I have TOTALLY bonded with! Everything on it moves with total precision (like a Swiss watch!) and the sounds it makes are soothing and hypnotizing. It will be the LAST machine I ever sell. Still, it's only a straight stitch machine with no reverse, so I do the majority of my quilting on my Juki 2010Q!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:40 PM

I pulled out my FW for a quilting get together about 10 years ago. I really missed the needle down, knee lift and zig zig stitch. When I first got the FW, I had such a cra**y machine, that I loved sewing on the FW at the time. If I that's all I had to work with, I'd certainly use it but I'm not ready to get rid of it yet.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:29 PM

I was one that was dying to have a FW!!! Finally got one for Christmas two years ago. Have used it twice!!! But I love looking at it so will keep it. Very interesting topic!! I thought I was the only one....
Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 PM

Maggie Sue, I thought I was the only one!!! LOL. It took a great deal of courage for me to post this! I Thought that no one would understand or feel the same way!!
Sounds silly but I do feel better about the whole thing!! I still love my FW and won't part with her but I am just more comfortable with my newer machines.
Thanks everyone
Sheriann

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
I was one that was dying to have a FW!!! Finally got one for Christmas two years ago. Have used it twice!!! But I love looking at it so will keep it. Very interesting topic!! I thought I was the only one....
Old 03-09-2016, 11:13 PM

I have a FW but I rarely use it. I take it in the caravan and classes as well as my bernina 440nq. It sews beautifully and does all I ask.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:18 AM

I might be out of step. When I first decided to join a quilt group, I purchased a new machine. I hated everything about that machine and was happy to sell it for 1/3 of what I paid for it. Although I owned a FW, I purchased a 301A which I loved and used until I purchased a vintage New Home which was heavier (the built in handle made it easy to carry to class) and I liked this machine so much I purchased two more on eBay. Then I decided to purchase another new machine, this time I purchased a Janome New Home (with needle down, speed control, etc.) I used that machine for the better part of a year, but kept my vintage New Home in my car for backup. Recently I purchased a Viking 6430 (my all time favorite machine) and while it weighs a ton, this will be my primary machine -- no more resetting my machine every time I turn it on. I cannot help it -- I just love the unique personalities of my vintage machines.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I felt the same about my Mom's FW up until I've had to live here with my Mom and Dad. I've had to use the stupid thing. One of the things I learned along the way is that you have to be very careful to keep the bobbin thread out of the loop of the needle thread in the bobbin area when moving fabric in and out. It is VERY easy to do. Simply put the thread take up lever all the way to the top when you remove or add fabric every single time. It saves a lot of grief.