Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever NOT been able to 'relate' to a machine?? >

Ever NOT been able to 'relate' to a machine??

Ever NOT been able to 'relate' to a machine??

Old 03-12-2016, 02:06 AM

There is a plastic 1/4" foot made especially for feather weights that I really like. It's called the "Lil Foot". I think it makes piecing easier. I have 6 FW in my personal collection as well as a black 301, 3 treadles, and 5 other vintage singers. Some still need restored to working order and I am looking forward to using one with a shuttle instead of a bobbin when the cord is replaced. That said, I also am in love with my Bernina 880 in a huge Koala table. It has all the bells and whistles including embroidery. I take my FW traveling & to class and have found with the Lil Foot I can switch back and forth with my Bernina with a matching 1/4" seam. The one thing I learned about that foot is I broke it when transporting it. I am going to get a hard plastic box to put it in next time I go somewhere. I love them ALL!!!
Old 03-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Power Poster

I bought a newer Pfaff a few years back and that machine drove me to distraction. The thing that made me the most crazy was the low bobbin indicator. When it came on there was still feet of thread on the spool and the machine would not sew any more than one stitch at a time. My DH (who has his office below the sewing room) finally came up and suggested that I get rid of that machine. I did and got a Baby Lock instead. Best decision!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:34 AM

I do my piecing on a Viking mega quilter straight stitch only machine right now. I have a singer 401 I love to use but when moms machine broke I loaned it to her and she is still using it as she fell in love with it too. I am now looking for another for myself. The only thing I miss on it is the auto thread cutter. Also have a singer 201 I love but it needs tensioner repair. For fancy stitches I have a Viking sapphire that I absolutely hate and only use when I have too. When I find my 401 the sapphire will be leaving.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:16 AM

I can understand where you are coming from Sheriann. I want a featherweight someday and would use it to some extent. I want to have the piece of sewing history, you know? My first sewing machine was a White and I didn't like it. I learned to sew on Singers at school and at home, but I never liked them either. I bought myself a Janome DC 2008 (?). All but one of my sewing friends had Janomes and loved them I love my Janome and I am looking to trade up at some point to get more bells and whistles. I think you should keep the Featherweight and maybe use it for small projects. Enjoy it for what it is, a piece of living history.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:40 PM

Thank you for your replies. I'm feeling so much better after reading all of your responses. I've actually learned quite a bit from them. I understand now what makes me unhappy with the FW. And I'm OK with that now. It's not the FW it's actually me and my preferences. I will not part with my FW I am definitely keeping it,as it is a huge part of sewing history and I absolutely adore it!! I will continue to use it in my RV and occasionally in classes.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 AM

This why so many on here, including me tell everyone asking what machine should I buy to go test it out. We all have different things we like and dislike about all things, including machines. Right up at the top of the list along with finding a great rep with great customer service and great classes is to test the machine. No matter what brandname or kind of machine, they aren't a one size fits all thing. I have some old machines that I rescued and some I paid highly for but have never used them. One is a treadle, it needs a belt. My 9 yr old grandson has already spoken for it about 5 yrs ago, he loves the whole idea that something can run and not take batteries or electicity. One was a beautiful feather weight. Its in fantastic condition. Still orginal, I wouldn't even changed the electrical adapter because I didn't want to change the way it was made in Scottland, many years ago. Its nice to have at least one thing in my house that is older than me.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:42 AM

You know, I did own a treadle for a few years and never bonded with it. Fortunately, it was sold to someone who just loves it. What I discovered was that I couldn't stand the noise it made. I was in love with the idea of having one but it wasn't a good fit for my personality.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 AM

Lots2do: great explanation!!

Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 AM

I have a Bernina 580 that I'd like to feed to the pigs.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
Ditto on the Pfaff 7570. I inherited my grandmother's when she passed a few years ago. Oh, how she loved that machine! I remember when she bought it (new). You would've thought she won the lottery. <3
I've tried and tried to get used to it, but it has never grown on me. I can't even explain why. The machine works just fine, but it kind of feels like I'm wearing clothes that don't fit.
Oh my! I'm like your grandmother. I love my Pfaff 7570 so much I bought a second one as a spare in case the original bit the dust. They may be old, but they were made in Germany and their performance is still excellent.

When I go to quilt shows I try out the new machines, and even filled out a sales order for a new Bernina. Then my friend asked me why I was buying a new machine since I liked my Pfaffs so much. She was right, everything about the 7570 feels good and natural for me. A person is fortunate if they find a machine that suits them to a T.

I should also add that I love my vintage Featherweights, especially their little chugging sound as they sew along.