Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ever used lap stand hoops for hand quilting?

Blog Entries
    I do Hawaiian applique' quilting and have used a Grace lap quilt that swivels. I have been very happy with it. I found it easy to adjust both the position and the firmness of the hold.

Hi Roselady! In answer to your ? about lap quilting frame. I Have one made by Jean Brown and I JUST LOPVE IT!!!! Yes it was a little spendy, but it is an absolute dream to use. The height is just right and the size is great! I get too tired leaning over a regular quilt frame and this baby suits my needs Hope you find one you like. She mailed mine to me as I couldn't find one locally. if you wans more info let me know

Froggy

JoAnns has the Grace hoop on sale this week....

OK -- I've looked at the Grace frames and at the one at Keepsake Quilting. I don't see much difference -- am I missing something???

Also, how big a quilt can you do with a lap frame?????

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    OK -- I've looked at the Grace frames and at the one at Keepsake Quilting. I don't see much difference -- am I missing something???

Also, how big a quilt can you do with a lap frame?????
    Thanks!
    I haven't used the Grace lap hoop, but someone else posted they have one and like it. They are both based on the swivel ball, so there may not be a lot of difference. Biggest visible difference is that the Grace has a squarish hoop; honestly don't know if that is an advantage or not. All I know is that I love the one from Keepsake Quilting.

You can do any size quilt in a lap hoop. Once you have finished quilting the area inside the hoop, you loosen the hoop and re-position the quilt to a new area.

After reading all your posts, I wonder if I should try putting my Jeans Impressions hoop on a lazy susan to ease the amount of having to pick up and repositioning it on my lap. Hmmmmm now let me try that and see if it works.

Blog Entries
    I have used the PVC frame for the last 20 years and it works for me. It's easy to move the fabric and I can take it from room to room and in the car.I can take off a side to get close to the corners or an end. I noticed no one else uses them so there must be drawbacks I'm not aware of. I used to have a large frame and it was nice to quilt on but it took up so much room and you had to stay in one spot to quilt. Moving it around was a major project. And my back got tired being in one spot for so long.I sold it in a garage sale when we moved to FL and I could have sold it 20 times. I'll have to look into the standing hoops everyone is talking about.

ok, I am very interested in the one at Keepsake Quilting. Can't remember who had one. What I need to know is, do you have any problems on edges and corners with it? thanks.
    P.S. is the one at joann's that is on sale, the same one that Keepsake Quilting has? I am going to joann's on tuesday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    ok, I am very interested in the one at Keepsake Quilting. Can't remember who had one. What I need to know is, do you have any problems on edges and corners with it? thanks.
    P.S. is the one at joann's that is on sale, the same one that Keepsake Quilting has? I am going to joann's on tuesday.
    I don't know what hoop Joann's has on sale. If it doesn't have a wooden ball that it swivels on, it is not the same as the Keepsake Quilting hoop. KQ may have exclusive rights to that design; I don't know.

There are different ways to treat edges and corners when you are quilting with a hoop. What I used to do was machine baste extra fabric along the edge so I would have something to hoop. However, Keepsake sells a half-hoop adapter so you don't need to do that. It's been so long since I used that, I can't remember how it works, but I think it had a cloth leader so I could pin the edge the leader.

wow, basting on more fabric, how clever.
    Grace is a good company so I am going to look at the one at joann's, but making sure that it will swivel. I need all the help I can get.
    thanks for more info, Prism99. :)

Hi Everybody!

Thanks so much for all of your replys. A couple of months ago I saw the lap hoop from Keepsake quilting on ebay, but I didn't bid on it because I didn't know anything about it, it sold for $25.00 I think. That is when I thought to ask about it from all of you. Last week another one showed up on ebay, and I bid on it and won it for $45.00 with shipping and all. That very day after winning it, a Jasmine easy spinner hoop on a stand with border bars was listed on ebay, that being my dream hoop. I never really thought I would have one since they retail for $500.00. I was the only bidder on that for $200.00. So now I am waiting for my hoops to come and I can't wait!!!

Blog Entries
    roselady,

When it rains, it pours! If you think of it, I'd enjoy a review of how the two hoop systems compare once you've had a chance to try them out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2