Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eye sight is dimming >

Eye sight is dimming

Eye sight is dimming

Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM

I also use stronger reading glasses when I sew. Cheap reading glasses from the drugstore work fine. Remember your glasses for reading are based on the length from your eyes to your book. Your sewing machine is much closer to your eyes and you may need stronger glasses for the shorter distance. I have separate glasses for reading, for my computer, for my sewing machine, for driving, etc, all different strengths. Drives my husband nuts trying to find whichever pair of glasses I have lost! Measure the distance from your eyes to the needle then go to the drugstore and try on pairs of different strengths, reading the chart there at the same length you have measured.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 PM

I'll go you one better, Janette...I have one strength of drug store readers for sewing during 'normal' hours and another, stronger pair for sewing after 2am.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:41 PM

I too am getting cataracts from a medication I had to take for my auto immune disease. The problem is they are not ready for surgery yet. I am beginning to wonder how blind I have to be before they will operate. I have glasses for the computer that I have started wearing when I use the sewing machine lately. Getting old is not fun.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I too am getting cataracts from a medication I had to take for my auto immune disease. The problem is they are not ready for surgery yet. I am beginning to wonder how blind I have to be before they will operate. I have glasses for the computer that I have started wearing when I use the sewing machine lately. Getting old is not fun.
Please get a second opinion!

To everyone:

Please, please get your eyes checked yearly (if you don't already). Our eyes do change more rapidly after age 50 or so.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:54 PM

The only thing about drugstore glasses are if your eyes are different, they will not work for you. My eyes are different and I have to have all my glasses made to my prescription. If your eyes are different strengths you will drive yourself crazy and spend a ton of money on glasses that never work right. You will not notice it if you don't wear glasses because your brain compensates for the difference.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:06 PM

I have heard of needles for sewing machines where you slide the thread down the side of the needle and the thread slips into the eye. I have never used them but tried to get my Mom to use them when her eye sight began failing due to cataracts and macular degeneration. She didn't get any, but I think they are available in the Keepsake catalog or maybe Nancy's Notions? Unfortunately, my Mom's eye issues have progressed to the point now where she can't sew any longer, although she still can knit and crochet. And she just got a paper-white Kindle that she is now using to read and likes it because she can enlarge the font. I pray my eyes stay ok as I get older with diabetes and all. I hope you find something that helps you! Keep looking until you do!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 AM

I am mainly a looker on the quilting board and very seldom respond. I do enjoy the board and hope to get more involved in it. This one really caught my attention. I have been having health problems this last year. My eyes have been very watery but I was also doing a lot of sneezing and having several allergy and misc. problems. When I went to the eye doctor in October I complained about this and his first question was: How much fish do you eat each week? the second question was: Are you taking fish oil vitamins? He said that if you do not eat fish 3-4 times a week any older person needs to be taking fish oil supplements. So I now am taking them. I immediately told my daughter about this and she commented that her eye doctor told her that a couple of years ago and that she had mentioned it to me. So she has been taking them for the last two years and when she went in for her appointment last year her eyes had improved and were she is back to having 20/20 vision. This is not an automatic cure but may be of some help.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 AM

I have been diagnosed with macular degeneration and my sight is getting worse as time goes on. I am madly sewing and quilting against the day when I have to give it up. I had cataract surgery on both eyes and a laser treatment on both eyes and they were a bit better for a while but now I am struggling again. I do have a great lamp and moved my sewing machine into the dining area by the sliding glass doors for natural light and I often have to ask my husband what color fabrics are as I often cannot tell the difference in dark fabrics, blacks, browns, navys, purples, etc. all look pretty much alike to me. Nevertheless I will keep quilting until that door closes and then I will look for a keyhole!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 AM

I am 69 and have only 1 eye as I put my right eye out with a pair of shears when I was 16. I was diagnosed at age 33 with macular degeneration. I have used about every item mentioned above at one time or another...I use a combination of...white behind the the needle and looking at the eye from a slight angle I have also noticed natural light does help..So get your eyes checked and keep on stitching!!!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 AM

I have two more ideas to add....first, I always thread by natural light; it works so much better for me than a lamp. Also, I try to thread needles early in the day when my eyes are less tired and therefore work better. I wear reading glasses (drugstore cheapies) and they work well too; I just don't always have a pair in the craft room when I need them. Trying to teach myself to thread my machine needle by touch for those times.....