Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update! >

Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update!

Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I only bought quilting fabric one time - to finish a project. Otherwise, I stuck to the moratorium... Now if I could only stick to my diet like that
same here...bought one piece big enough to do binding because i really did not have anything that would work....everything else is from stash. finished 5 WIP's. still have more WIP to go. i am extending the moritorium untill i am down to only two WIP.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 AM

Yes, I was on a fabric buying moratorium or as I called it, "diet" because I had spent $5000 on ACL surgery for my Rottie. But I will admit that I failed MISERABLY. I did quite well for a couple months. Then in the fall my favorite quilt store went out of business (Hayloft Fabrics) and I felt it was my duty to help them out. I haven't totalled my receipts for the year yet, but since I spent about $800 at Hayloft alone, I am sure my total will be in the couple thousand area. But I made 7 quilts and 40 pillowcases for charity giving just for Christmas alone, out of the stash. And through the year I did a good job of using my stash. Didn't make much of a dent, but figure it will come in very handy after the first of the year when I start rebuilding my quilt stash.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 AM

Okay, moral to the story is, "Don't total your receipts!" I spent $5506.12 just on fabric. That's not counting batting, thread, and misc. notions. WOW!!!!! Did I ever fail!!! Now the stash will get put to good use this next year.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 AM

I cut back alot on my fabric buying this year, and I don't think I'll be spending much in 2012. Our LQS closed its brick and mortar doors and is strickly an on-line store. Theres just something about being able to see and touch the fabric, and that promotes impulse buying. I can never remember walking into a Quiltshop and not buying anything. Its eye candy, Guess Im one of those touchy feely people.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 AM

Last year our quilt guild had the theme of "Reduce, Recycle", and it was great fun! We had a fabric exchange at one meeting which didn't reduce our stashes, but allowed us to get rid of fabric we didn't have a use for and acquire some that would help in finishing current projects. At the beginning of the year people reported a list of their UFO's, and then at each meeting checked off anything they had finished. Each UFO finished became an entry in a drawing at the end of the year.

Of course, we still all bought some fabric throughout the year, but the theme and encouragement from each other helped remind us of the goal of using our stash.

Dayle
Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 AM

I didn't take the 'pledge' but I cut way back on buying. I didn't by any fabric for a 'future' quilt, I only supplemented. The one exception is that when I visit my VBF in Tampa, we always buy fabric. My favorite store has a sale wall of 30-75% off original price. I did buy from this wall but conservatively and with handbag/totebags in mind.

My impulse buying this year was patterns, not fabric. I bought several that have not yet been tried and of course, I got tons of freebies through this site!

All that being said, I think we need to remember that our LQS won't be there if we don't support it. I try to buy 'something' every time I go in ... even if it is a small amount. I think I read in this post (2) LQS's bit the dust this year and these are only the ones we know about by responding to this post. I wish my economic situation would allow me to buy more from them but I like to think that even a little bit helps ... a couple of zippers here, a pattern there, some fabric for binding. The overall increase in the price of cotton caused me to think twice before I bought.

I hope to decrease my sizable stash next year. I bought the AccuQuilt GO! and hope to find the time to cut up 'kits' for both myself and, more importantly, for our Hearts 2 Hands group at church.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
I didn't go on a buying moratorium. That being said, I believe that I shopped smart. I never paid full
price for any fabric this past year. I am going to "try" to use up a bunch of my stash next year. (We'll see what happens)
Same with me - I just tried to shop smart and only purchased fabric that was on sale, except for the fabric for my DMIL's Christmas Quilt. I hope to purchase no material in 2012, just sew from my stash!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 AM

I bought a few times, but was just for fill in. When I did buy, I measured very carefully what I needed for the project. Yesterday, I bought 6 inches of fleece for decorating a sweat shirt. Am I cheap, no, just thrifty.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM

I tried, oh Lord I did try. But the devil took me by the hand and dragggged me into the shops. I swear that's exactly what happened.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I shopped a bit still but only for a few projects. all the smaller things came from my small (2 rubber maid tubs) stash. sad I know.