Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM

I usually try to buy mine by the bolt. Where I buy it, it runs about $2.85/yd and up from there. After you factor in shipping and the time to spend listing and cutting it, it works out to run about $5/yd (which is what I typically sell it for). There are 15 yds on the bolt, so you have to want to make the committment if you want to buy several yards.

I also don't have the overhead to worry about other than shipping and labor cost...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM

While fabric at my LQS is only about $8 or so a yard, I can't afford to pay that. Walmart now has a limited selection ever since the remodel. It looks like Joann's will be getting most of my business.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM

We get shafted for everything. We are the working class middle America. The rich can afford anything and everything, and the poor just wait for our scraps. How sad. We have to pay more for everything that is imported too. Do we even manufacture anything at all here in America anymore?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 PM

fabric in Australia on average is $26 for good quality quilting fabric.....I always buy from America even with postage its cheaper
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I feel sorry for the LQS. It's not their fault that the prices are going up. They have bills to pay and want to stay in business.
It's a lose-lose situation. I too don't believe the LQS is trying to rip off the consumer. It's the sad truth that cotton crops have been bad. They do have to stay in business. I don't see how they can make any profit with the costs and the economy the way it is

I honestly won't pay over $6 a yard for fabric...well I did buy 1 yard of fabric @ $9.95, but it was science themed with physics equations so I couldn't pass it up.

I hit garage sales, thrift stores, freecycle, and all that. If I ever do run out of fabric, I'll go back to the old way of quilting, cutting up clothes.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Looks like we'll have to go back to the good old days, using clothing, going to garage sales, goodwill,etc. The prices of everything is going up and our wages, if we are lucky are staying the same or being cut. I think we are in for some interesting times.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
Originally Posted by Rose L
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Our LQS has only raised the prices on the fabrics that are new coming in but the next city over I notied last week her new fabrics are $12 so she's raised the older still in stock up to the same price. I will not buy from her aaain. I understand the prices went up on cotton so they have to raise but that bolt you bought 6 months ago did not go up in costs.
My LQS has done the same thing and she hasn't even gotten in any "new" fabrics. I didn't buy from her when they were $8 a yard and I sure am not going to buy from her now. Wholesale fabric does not cost near what is being charged and I find price gouging to be very distasteful. I won't shop there anymore.
the LQS shop did that here. some of the bolts have been on the shelves for 6 years (thats how long i've been teaching a class there).

fabric went from $6-$10 to $10-$16 (batiks cost $16 a yard).

they shut down the store for an entire weekend and raised the prices on everything in the store including notions.

since then all 3 guilds that i'm in no longer invite them to the meetings to sell product.

the classes for the fall don't even have enough students in them to run the classes.

if this continues they will be out of business in no time.
Wow... that's amazing. I've heard batiks are around the $14 a yard out East from a friend and I thought that was over priced. They are still around $10 here. Really, fabric is still sticking around the $10 mark here in general. One line at a favorite shop is $11. There are a lot of quilt shops in driving distance here, so I'm thinking all the competition may be keeping the prices steady.

~ Rose
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM

It wouldn't be so bad to see those prices but at the same time the quality of the fabrics seem to have declined!! Our LQS fabrics seem so much thinner than they used to be. I was look thru my stash the older fabrics I have seem like they are so much better. Like everything else...price goes up quality goes down..crafty_linda_b
Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 PM

I hear you. Same hear too much $$$$$.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by irishrose
That's a good price for Ultrasuede. It was $39.95 a yard years ago.

My fabric store hasn't gone over $10 a yard yet. I try to stick to sales unless I only need a small amount.
oh my...REAL Ultrasuede has been over $80 yd for years now..
NOT the kind you find at Hancock fabrics, but the real Ultrasuede and now even Sensuede it getting that high.

Both are getting harder to find in the US due to the costs and imports fees on it. Toray Ultrasuede comes from Japan and they are struggling now.

If anyone does need some, especially small pieces, PM me...