Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by BigDog
Wholesale costs, at best, between $2 and $2.50/yd. Last time I bought (about 2 months ago), designer fabric was $2.25/yd, 15 yd minimum.
We haven’t been able to get quality 100% cotton for that price for a long time. I’d be interested in knowing where this fabric wholesaler is, and how I can contact them...

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM

High prices is one reason I shop online. I can usually find good prices. I was recently in Los Angeles and I was in the garment district. I found 100% cotton for 1.29. I got home and washed it first, no fading! Another place had 100 % cotton for 9.00a yd but Kona cotton in all different colors was 6.00 a yd. I had to stock up!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I feel sorry for the LQS. It's not their fault that the prices are going up. They have bills to pay and want to stay in business. They are trying to offer us merchandise that we can't get at Walmart, Joann, or wherever. We sometimes want something extra special for a particular quilt, gift, project and they were there when we needed it.

And it's not our fault that we can't afford the increase. Our bills go up and what gets eliminated from the budget? Not food. Not gas to go to work. It's the extra's, like fabric, that get cut out. And those offering the "extra's" lose that revenue.

It's a sad situation and I'll be sorry to see even more businesses close up and more buildings sitting empty.
It IS sad.

I'll be sticking to my guns as long as I can - I won't buy Kona again no matter WHAT it costs - but everybody's belts get a little tighter in these times, and everybody loses in the end.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 PM

I took a hiatus from sewing for about 25 yrs. and sure had "sticker shock" when I came back! It's almost to the point where it is cheaper to buy ready made if you can get it to fit properly!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Our LQS has only raised the prices on the fabrics that are new coming in but the next city over I notied last week her new fabrics are $12 so she's raised the older still in stock up to the same price. I will not buy from her aaain. I understand the prices went up on cotton so they have to raise but that bolt you bought 6 months ago did not go up in costs.
My LQS has done the same thing and she hasn't even gotten in any "new" fabrics. I didn't buy from her when they were $8 a yard and I sure am not going to buy from her now. Wholesale fabric does not cost near what is being charged and I find price gouging to be very distasteful. I won't shop there anymore.
It's not just the cost of the fabric that has gone up though. Taxes have gone up, utilities, wages, toilet paper... it's all more expensive... so even though she only paid $$ for the fabric when she bought it the other costs of running her business have increased.
It's not surprising at all to me that 1/2 of income would go to taxes... that means out of that $8/yd $4 is left to cover the cost of the fabric, and all the rest of the bills - I wouldn't think there is much of a profit there at all
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Crop failure/high prices...all the better reason we need to use up our stashes! Bring on the scrappy's!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

with the power of the internet you can find that exact same $12 fabric for $7.95 (or less)
some lqs' get up set with those of us who shop on line- but when i can get 3 yards for less than they are charging for 2 i don't know what they expect us to do---many of us are working stiffs who live pay check to paycheck- and any fabric purchase is a luxury-
i am very picky about where my hard earned $$ go...i always shop where i can get free shipping and where i can find the best $ per yard prices- sometimes it's locally- many times its long distance...but the fabric would have to be laced with gold for me to pay $12 a yard for it....or 108"+ wide.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM

I was visiting a friend in South Africa this Spring, and they have to pay at least $25.00 a yard there. I didn't buy any of that. Theirs is high, because it has to be imported. They buy the same fabrics that we do.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM

Stores are paying more for getting orders shipped to them & so they have to pass the cost along to us. You can see it everywhere, especially in groceries.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM

I am so blessed. There is a New 4 You shop in the city where I have to take dh to the dr. I always stop in there to see what they have in the remnant dept. It is run by Mennonites and they have a lot of fabric. Back to the subject, their remnants are $1.00 each. There is well over 1 yard in each of them. I bought 4 the last time and when I got home I took the rubber band off and measured out 6 yds of new fabric. It's my favorite place to buy fabric right now. Like I say, I am blessed. By the way this is the same place that I bought my singer 15 for $20.