Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Dept coming to Wal-Mart near you >

Fabric Dept coming to Wal-Mart near you

Fabric Dept coming to Wal-Mart near you

Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 AM

People can hail or complain about Walmart all they want. The bottom line is that in this economy, we have to save pennies wherever we can. Case in point, if I have to pay $7 for a Perdue hen to cook for supper at my local grocery store and I can get it for $5 at Walmart....I'm going to Walmart!

Walmart in my hometown carries good quality fabric that I have made many utility quilts out of and they are still, years later, in service. That's just my experience. I have special ordered muslin at that same Walmart by the bolt and gotten it because of the price and the quality of the muslin.

Appomattox Walmart is getting a new fabric department and I am excited! Simply because I can't go to my favorite Walmart in Virginia Beach anymore!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 AM

I have been checking my local Wal-Mart as they told me (about 3 months ago) they were getting a full fledged fabric department. Last week... they had quite a lot of the "pre-cut" fabric. Took a look.... very, very cheap.... won't be buying that stuff.

Sure hope they come through with a quality fabric department!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 AM

My Walmart just got their fabric department back - and it is not even worth walking through. Not very much quilting material - not even two or three coordinating prints to put together a quilt. Just a few juvenile prints in cotton. Some denims, fleece, flannel, sleazy fabrics, etc. I am afraid that nobody will buy any fabric and they will pull it out again and said "we tried to sell fabric but nobody bought any". They did bring back some thread and zippers, etc. Also, brought back a row of yarn.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 AM

My point is, we do not have fabric in WM and they told us to drive 50 miles to another WM and when we got there it had few choices and no person with e=knowledge of how to cut it. We also buy our food near where we live. It is not cheaper, but in a long run we want to keep that store going so we don`t have to drive 30 miles to town. I give you credit for buying for less, we all try.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

We recently got a "small" super Walmart, and no fabric section. Not sure if they will be adding any or not. Would be nice to get some basics, interfacing, etc.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM

We have 3 Walmarts in my area. 2 are Super's. They have more material in the Walmart that is not the Super Walmart. I have not bought fabric there for over 2 years. Don't like the quality for quilting. I don't want them to get rid of the fabric department just want them to get good quality quilting material.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Was talking to another quilter and she said our WM was getting some in, doesn't know if more is coming. I was in a hurry when I stopped by there the other day and forgot to check it out. WM is 5 m from my house, a different store is 8 m, thats where I do my monthly shopping, WM only carries their brand and one other, few choices I also use the dollor store and Braums and even the conveniece store for an item or two, never go to WM and buy over the 20 items and I pick off hours to go, my back hurts so unable to stand along time or walk back and forth on cement, use the local Hardware store, 2 close Fab shops, I rather use the little business and pay alittle more that give all my business to WM and if they expect me to stand there and wait for a sales person to show up, they better think again, I rather drive a few more miles and get waited on than stand there and wait.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
No quilter's voices were heard at my Walmart- there is almost no fabric.
We weren't heard at our walmart either. They have a whole row of pre-cuts, but they are just as expensive as everywhere else. If I am going to pay that much, I want to chose how much I purchase. I rarely go to walmart anymore since they got rid of the fabric dept. Not worth my time or gas money.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 AM

Our WM said they weren't turning enough profit for that flour space...
What do they think the husbands and children are doing while we are standing in line or browsing the fabrics? They are shopping in electronics and the toy department and the other depts.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
he took a lot of notes said he had heard about our Blog @ a regional meeting they even had some of our comments .
This is too funny! To think that corporate Walmart reads QB and takes notes on what people think here...

Of course, when I go back the states, I do look at Walmart for fabric and if they don't have any, the store just isn't very interesting anymore....so I leave.

I was so sad last time I went and most WM didn't have fabric. I've bought a LOT of fabric there that I really liked (and still like since I'm using it now).
Why would we think just because they are high up in Wal-Mart that they are not quilters? I can just hear that one person in the meetings telling them "You are making a mistake removing the fabric." and "I hate to say I told you so...but I told you so!" :-D