Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric from other countries >

fabric from other countries

fabric from other countries

Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 AM

I personally hate buying fabric online, the source isn't so much my problem. It is that I am a fabric molester. I like to see the actual colors (not what the computer thinks it might be) I like to touch, feel, and caress the fabric, but I think my fabric world is shrinking and I may be forced to do more online purchases. : (
Old 04-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Well...I am currently living in Thailand, but I cannot help. There is such a variety of quality in the fabric market that you can find the finest cotton or really cheap and low level one. Of course usually the price is very different. And when I buy fabric on the market at least I can touch it. There is not so many place (in my city) that offer pre-cut, so I guess this shop is in Bangkok. The price seems quite high compared to what I usually see here when I buy at meter (probably because of the pre-cut and maybe because it is intended for a foreigner market ...import cost, tax etc). But it is quite reasonable compared to the pre-cut that I saw here ( funny to say...but in the proper quilt shops the fabric that I see is imported from USA and cost usually around 600/700 thb at feet - 17/20 dollars and there are very few pre-cut, but, again, maybe in Bangkok is different)

...anyway...please let us know how it is the quality of the fabric. If it is good maybe I can try it out :-P

Last edited by Gerrycnx; 04-03-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:51 AM

After a quick search...yes it is in Bangkok On etsy goes under the name Terracottahome and I found way more review on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Terracottahome/reviews?ref=l2

The review looks good here. I am not familiar with Etsy so I don't know how reliable they are .
Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 AM

I bought fabric on Ebay from China. It was described as good quality 100% quilting cotton, but it was not what I expected. It was not a see-through muslin type cotton. It was tightly woven, but the threads were very fine, resulting in a lightweight cotton that had a beautiful drape. I think it would have been nice for making a blouse, however, I had chosen the color and print for a quilting project... I didn't want to mix it with with US type quilt store fabrics. I think it would not wear in the same manner alongside them. I bought 4 yards and decided to use it for a back. I suggest if the seller and quality is unknown to buy a small amount as a trial first to understand what their description really means.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:33 AM

After a quick search...yes it is in Bangkok On etsy goes under the name Terracottahome and I found way more review on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Terracottahome/reviews?ref=l2

The review looks good here. I am not familiar with Etsy so I don't know how reliable they are .
Thank you!! that does make me feel a little better. I will have to just wait and see...says it will be a few weeks before I will receive my shipment
Old 04-03-2016, 11:54 AM

I regret that the fabric mfgs are all over seas. I can't do anything about that, but I can buy fabric from stores in the USA. Nowadays, I really look out for exactly where the product I want is shipping from. Please let us know how the fabric does.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Thank you!! that does make me feel a little better. I will have to just wait and see...says it will be a few weeks before I will receive my shipment
You are welcome! It looks they are on the market since 2009...it should be a good sign. May be they are only new on Amazon. :-)
Anyway...let's see .I put them in my list to try.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM

I had a foreign exchange student from Thailand and she has sent me a box of fabric from there. I did not have any trouble with the fabric but some of it is silk. There also was cotton that was not too thin or the color did not run. Good luck I hope you get similar fabric that I received from my student.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
I bought fabric on Ebay from China. It was described as good quality 100% quilting cotton, but it was not what I expected. It was not a see-through muslin type cotton. It was tightly woven, but the threads were very fine, resulting in a lightweight cotton that had a beautiful drape. I think it would have been nice for making a blouse, however, I had chosen the color and print for a quilting project... I didn't want to mix it with with US type quilt store fabrics. I think it would not wear in the same manner alongside them. I bought 4 yards and decided to use it for a back. I suggest if the seller and quality is unknown to buy a small amount as a trial first to understand what their description really means.
I have experience with fabric from China and from Thailand because I lived in Asia for many years. I'm not wild for the Chinese fabric, it is usually quite thin. But I love the Thai fabric! Actually, my favourite source for fabric is the fabric market in Chiang Mai! They sell good quality cotton for very nice prices (around USD 2-3/m). The cotton is a little bit thiner than American quilting fabric, but it still works very well for quilting.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:52 PM

When I purchase fabric on line, I buy only brand names, such as Moda