Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric from other countries >

fabric from other countries

fabric from other countries

Old 04-04-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
I have experience with fabric from China and from Thailand because I lived in Asia for many years. I'm not wild for the Chinese fabric, it is usually quite thin. But I love the Thai fabric! Actually, my favourite source for fabric is the fabric market in Chiang Mai! They sell good quality cotton for very nice prices (around USD 2-3/m). The cotton is a little bit thiner than American quilting fabric, but it still works very well for quilting.
Hi Monale!! It is exactly the city where I live in!! I usually go to buy fabric at Warorot Market. Do you still purchase it on line? If you have the contact of some reliable fabric seller, pls share (even online...) :-) I bought a lot of nice fabric but I also had a couple of bad surprises with fabric that lost color ruining my almost ready first babyquilt...
Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gerrycnx View Post
Hi Monale!! It is exactly the city where I live in!! I usually go to buy fabric at Warorot Market. Do you still purchase it on line? If you have the contact of some reliable fabric seller, pls share (even online...) :-) I bought a lot of nice fabric but I also had a couple of bad surprises with fabric that lost color ruining my almost ready first babyquilt...
In China, I did buy fabric online (on Taobao - the Chinese only part of Aliexpress). However, in Thailand I have never bought any fabric online but just in person in Warorot Market. Just LOVE that market! Picture heaps of fabric rolls where you have to dig to find treasures My best treasure there was an original Jinny Beyer border print (the last 3m and therefore heavily discounted) for THB 100/m (that's about USD 3 if I'm not mistaken). But I also love the Thai fabric which usually is about USD 2. There are so many colours and different prints! A while ago, I found some with leaves that almost looked like batiks. Whenever I go there, I need to give myself a limit beforehand on how much I can allow myself to buy (e.g. "no more than 7m today!"). It's fabric paradise for someone on a budget!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gerrycnx View Post
I bought a lot of nice fabric but I also had a couple of bad surprises with fabric that lost color ruining my almost ready first babyquilt...
I ALWAYS prewash my fabrics and so far had no such unpleasant surprises with any fabric I bought in Thailand. I have to say that the only fabric I ever had problems with running colours was a "real" quilting fabric (a batik). I had to wash it two or three times until I was sure it would not run anymore.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:05 AM

I know that much of our fabric is made in Japan, Korea and Indonesia (batiks). I only buy brands I am familiar with. I wish they were made in the USA. I avoid fabric from China, India and Pakistan. I made an error recently and got some fabric from China (from Amazon) and it is just junk. I don't generally buy fabric on Amazon; but in this case I had no choice. I had run out of a certain fabric, googled it, and, the only place it was available was Amazon. So, I bought it (it was a Timeless Treasures product). Then, I looked at the section (also bought) and did not look carefully-it was cute in the picture. I plan to wash it in hot water and dry it in the dryer and use it for binding. I think it will be OK for that because I will cut it on the bias. Lesson learned.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 AM

eBay has fat quarters at a good price, but I have hesitated about ordering as they are from China; anyone have experience with this? I am concerned about the quality
Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 AM

When my hubby was stationed in Thailand he brought back some gorgeous Thai silk fabric. Would love to have more.
Granted that was eons ago and was purchased in a local market there long before eBay or Amazon were even thought of.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 AM

Here is Warorot market...all the block is a neverending succeed one another of fabric shops like these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547092[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547093[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2014-10-25-11.23.58.jpg   2014-10-25-11.34.20.jpg  
Old 04-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by donnalbaldwin View Post
When I purchase fabric on line, I buy only brand names, such as Moda
...which is made in China.

Why worry about your order until you see it? You may be very pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:14 AM

Any news about the fabric? Did you receive it? Was it good?