Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric from other countries >

fabric from other countries

fabric from other countries

Old 04-03-2016, 05:23 AM

Default fabric from other countries

Hello... I am concerned that I may have made a mistake (shocking I know ) I do purchase most of fabric on line. Most of the stores I purchase from I have heard about from you guys and gals here on the board.

I do purchase from Amazon because they seem to ship quick and the prices are often the same or better.

Well I learned something that I have to watch for at Amazon - - the seller. This last one that I picked is from Thailand. I have nothing against purchasing overseas.. I just don't know what quality the fabric will be.

Has anyone here purchased from Notions Potions? Or fabric from Thialand? I am just concerned about shrinking. These are jelly roll type strips and I don't prewash precut fabric....ugh. I will pay more attention going forward.

I did try to cancel, but they shipped anyway. Maybe they didn't get my message???

http://smile.amazon.com/Notions-Poti...ilpage_o02_s00

http://smile.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...b=&vasStoreID=
Old 04-03-2016, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I am not a big fan of Amazon. Even being a prime member, I can find items cheaper at US quilt shops with reasonable shipping charges. I prefer RK fabric since they are produced in Japan. Remember, many fabric are made in China so you may not find a difference in quality after all. Please keep us posted when the fabric arrives.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:28 AM

Isnt it true that most fabrice comes from overseas somewhere...so whats the difference......let us know how this works for you.....

btw...curiosity made me check out the fab....no longer available....must have been a good seller

Last edited by Geri B; 04-03-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:32 AM

Isnt it true that most fabrice comes from overseas somewhere
I was thinking the same thing.. but I don't know who the manufacturer is.

Even being a prime member, I can find items cheaper at US quilt shops with reasonable shipping charges.
I agree... you do have to watch. But I have had some good luck. Like recently there was a line of fabric that MSQC had but they didn't have the jelly roll. Amazon had the line in a jelly roll - which was nice since I am wanting to make a jelly roll race quilt (have never made one before)
Old 04-03-2016, 05:37 AM

When I want to check for shrinking but not launder in the machine I take a measured piece (like 2x2) swish it in a bowl of hot soapy water then rinse the soap, and iron dry, then take the measurement again and check for shrinking. (at the same time you can check for colorfastness especially if you use a white bowl) Sorry I don't know about Thailand fabric specifically.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

at your link to the seller, they only have a 45% rating... that's not good enough for me to do business with them... i always look for 90% or higher.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
at your link to the seller, they only have a 45% rating... that's not good enough for me to do business with them... i always look for 90% or higher.

I saw that too. I wondered why one would want to deal with anything shipping overseas when it is available on our shores.

our quilting fabric is predominately produced in Japan, China and Korea. There are some (solids) Made in the USA and are marketed as such.

Sandy
Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I do the same, I won't buy from a seller on Amazon or Ebay with a rating below 90%. I also look at their negative feedback.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 AM

Well, the store only has 11 ratings, and while less than a third of them are negative, there are some glowing five-star reviews as well.

The fabric is cute, so it will be interesting to see how it is when you get it.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:25 AM

Yes I agree, what can I say I was lost in a fabric shopping daze I usually click so I only see items that are Prime eligible, I forgot to do that as well.

I am at the point that I purchased in a way that I usually don't - I made a boo boo. Now I am trying to recover from my fears of this mistake

There were only 10 or 11 reviews. With those low numbers its really hard to rely on them. With some of them saying slow - well that is to be expected from overseas.

thanks for your input. I guess I just have to be patient and hope for the best

When I want to check for shrinking but not launder in the machine I take a measured piece (like 2x2) swish it in a bowl of hot soapy water then rinse the soap, and iron dry, then take the measurement again and check for shrinking. (at the same time you can check for colorfastness especially if you use a white bowl) Sorry I don't know about Thailand fabric specifically.

good tip - thanks