Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric Prices and Currency Exchange

So many of you from around the globe have talked about the outragous price of fabric where you live, including right here in the USA. I was wondering if, when you are quoting a price in your neck of the woods, you are quoting in your native currency or in US dollars. I guess if we knew the currency exchange we could figure it out. Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks! Inquiring minds want to know. Regardless of where in the world you are, we are all paying way to much for fabric these days, no matter your currency.

We're paying way to much for EVERYTHING!

Blog Entries
    According to the Wall Street Journal, cotton will increase 22% the first of the year due to weather and wars.

Right at the moment, the Australian dollar is worth 91 cents US and 95 cents Canadian. So there's not a lot of difference. The Aussie's seem to be paying the most per metre. If you were shopping in Australia right now, you'd be paying on average between $15 and $28 US per metre. A metre is 39", a little longer than a yard...........but probably not an extra $10 worth!
    I'm a big fan of reusing and scavenging. I've gotten some awesome 100% cotton fabric from good quality bedskirts at the secondhand store.
    I also like trading fabric out of my stash. Get to see something new to me, and share a nice fabric with someone else, too.
    What are you going to do if fabric prices go up? Got any good thrifty tips and suggestions?

I get most of my fabric off base even though the craft store on base is slowly getting more fabric in. The shop I frequent the most has very nice cotton fabric for 525yen/meter. With the current exchange rate of 82yen= 1USD I pay about 6.40 USD per meter. There is one fabric store that has some awesome fabrics but insane prices, 1500yen/meter which is about $18 USD/meter. I can't imagine having no choice but to pay that much. I would be really limited on what I could buy.

sounds interesting so far. keep 'em coming. as for tips, I say go to thrift stores and garage/yard sales and buy good quality cotton clothing and recycle it. That's all I can come up with for now. It's how I started and what I know, so it's what I will go back to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tabsmonsters
    I get most of my fabric off base even though the craft store on base is slowly getting more fabric in. The shop I frequent the most has very nice cotton fabric for 525yen/meter. With the current exchange rate of 82yen= 1USD I pay about 6.40 USD per meter. There is one fabric store that has some awesome fabrics but insane prices, 1500yen/meter which is about $18 USD/meter. I can't imagine having no choice but to pay that much. I would be really limited on what I could buy.
    So you're in Okinawa now? Where are you stationed? We lived at Kadena AB when I was a kid. There were no craft stores on base back then. Only the BX and they didn't have any crafty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    So many of you from around the globe have talked about the outragous price of fabric where you live, including right here in the USA. I was wondering if, when you are quoting a price in your neck of the woods, you are quoting in your native currency or in US dollars. I guess if we knew the currency exchange we could figure it out. Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks! Inquiring minds want to know. Regardless of where in the world you are, we are all paying way to much for fabric these days, no matter your currency.
    I have looked at the most recent exchange rate I can find..we pay on average $20 dollars a metre,( 39 inches) this is for patterned cotton,plain can sometimes be a little cheaper. I think part of the problem is various taxes, but also because we don't have many places to buy it keeps the prices up, less competition. It is difficult to find quilt shops, I buy at a quilt show in Birmingham once a year and the rest of the time on line. In small quantities only. I could not bear not to quilt. I have not had a lot of luck in thrift shops finding 100% cotton, just about everything seems to have synthetic in it as well.

The euro/dollar rate is 1.26 right now, which makes a 14 euro metre of fabric (39" as opposed to 36") $17.64 in US currency. More patterned fabric would be around 17 euro per metre, which works out to $21.42 US.

Blog Entries
    i live in the Continental United States so i know i'm fortunate when it comes to this issue.

i look for sources that charge prices i consider acceptable. i shop the sales and/or vendors whose regular prices are reasonable. i refuse to pay high prices. period.

taxes and customs fees are a big problem for our international friends. if you know of shops that others might be able to afford, please let us know. provide information about starting price per yard and final cost after all costs have been added. don't forget to tell us where you live. (no addresses. just country and region or city if it makes a difference.)

i'll volunteer to start, post, and maintain a list once i've received some "nominations", so you can also send me the info by pm.

How many of you pay over $4.00 a gallon for milk? If you look at the prices we have to pay for just about anything we purchase these days it is astronomical compared to what we paid say 30 or so years ago and even 2 years ago. Eggs...$2.00, Three of four dollars for a pound of bacon and then bread plus orange juice. That's just breakfast folks.

All things are relative and today we pay more for everything than we ever believed we would have too. Remember when gas prices rose so high and everything we bought went up for the cost of transportation.

Sooooo for me, I try and find what I want on sale but if not I decide how much I truly want something and that makes the decision easy for me. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    All things are relative and today we pay more for everything than we ever believed we would have too. Remember when gas prices rose so high and everything we bought went up for the cost of transportation.
    Problem is when gas came back down, none of the goods did. =(

Living in Spain the cost of fabric is not only astranomical its difficult to find. I have one shop within 20 Km. So I shop on line and always buy my fabric in the States.
    Here the fabric is 14 Euros a metre equates to 17.84$
    So if I buy my fabric at around 8.99$ a yd and pay shipping on line its still much cheaper for me and I usually buy loads at a time.

There is a site called XE Conversions.com and it gives you all the currency values if you ever want to check it out. The Euro go up and mostly down like a yo yo.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by Bmanmommy
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    Problem is when gas came back down, none of the goods did. =(
    You're absolutely right!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Living in Spain the cost of fabric is not only astranomical its difficult to find. I have one shop within 20 Km. So I shop on line and always buy my fabric in the States.
    Here the fabric is 14 Euros a metre equates to 17.84$
    So if I buy my fabric at around 8.99$ a yd and pay shipping on line its still much cheaper for me and I usually buy loads at a time.

There is a site called XE Conversions.com and it gives you all the currency values if you ever want to check it out. The Euro go up and mostly down like a yo yo.

Elle
    Thanks for the link. I'm sure most of us that shop in the US live in the US. So we don't need to convert. I don't know of any of us that shop outside the US unless you're looking for a specific fabric not carried here. Do the websites automatically convert for you or do you have to figure it out before you place your order. Just wondering since I don't shop in a foreign currency. Just curious here so I thought I'd try to satisfy my curiosity and inform others if anyone else wants to know.

Some sites do, but usually I just take the Dollar price click the page down before I pay and look on the XE conversion site and that way I have a very near idea of what I am going to be paying

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Some sites do, but usually I just take the Dollar price click the page down before I pay and look on the XE conversion site and that way I have a very near idea of what I am going to be paying

Elle
    Sounds simple enough. Thanks!