Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street. >

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks to whomever posted the Facebook link. I posted there about how the fabric dept. drew me in and I always ended up buying groceries and vice versa. I DO hope Walmart officials will listen to our plea's to bring back fabrics!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:36 AM

Yippee!! My Walmart closed its fabric department within the last year. I'm so glad that it may be coming back. Thanks for the good news.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 AM

I recently was told by a Walmart employee that they were bringing the fabric department back when they remodeled the local Walmart. However, they have finished and there are only precuts. This is not a full fabric department regardless of what they say. We drive 66 miles to the closest LQS for fabric and a spool of thread. If I have to drive that far for thread, I will get everything I need while I am there. Forget Walmart.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:13 AM

SUCH TERRIFIC NEWS!!!!

I think it SHOULD BE my duty to leave a note for them each time I go into the store closest to me about looking forward to the return of their fabric department.

GO, GO, GO QUILTERS!!! Go Walmart!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Hi! I can't believe the change! Our store just finished remodel of the whole store in the last couple of weeks, and got rid of the fabric dept. They were the only fabric store in our area. Now all they have is precuts and fatquarters of fabrics and very limited supply of that.
The fabric dept was the main reason I shopped there. There wasn't many times that I was in the store that I didn't at least walk through to see what new fabric they had gotten in. Well it will take years before the store does another remodel so who knows when we might get the fabric back.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:27 AM

Thank you for the input. I just finished e-mailing my local Wal-mart, maybe I should also mail corporate. I feel that if all of us quilters let them know maybe, just maybe, we can change their policy. Money talks and we all spend our money there
Old 10-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
Thanks for sharing the link to Facebook. I posted a request there pointing out that grocery shopping and the fabric department are the main reasons I go to Walmart.

Originally Posted by kspurlock1
Originally Posted by trueimage
How can I find out if my store will be getting fabric back? We lost all of ours in last years remodel.
I am not entirely sure how to find out. Wal-Mart's main focus this year is to get thier core customer back. They are going to try to go back to basics (ie basic, not trendy apparel). Fabric is part of that push but they will not comment on thier plans until they are finalized. I suggest you continue to ask for and @ fabric at your local Wal-Mart, post a reqest on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/walmart?ref=ts#!/topic.php?uid=159616034235&topic=22881
I posted on FB also, and here is a link to their direct website contact. http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx#2 You can put "other" under brand name and then type in Fabric By The Yard in the next box. Then put your comment in the large box. Remember, you will catch more flies with honey, so be positive.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:28 PM

Springs Creative in Rock Hill SC supplies a lot (if not all) of Walmart fabrics and they are the company providing the precuts called Creative Cuts. You can read more about it here and even become their friend on facebook. They were at the York Co. Quilt Show and I asked why they don't have an outlet store since they actually bolt up the fabric in Rock Hill to ship out to the Walmarts. They said they don't sell directly to the public.

http://www.springscreative.com/news/...n-on-facebook/
Old 10-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Thank you CircleSquare for the Wal-Mart internet link. Yes, I have written a lengthy note to them about missing a tight weave 100% cotton fabric for my charity quilts. I described how I quilted between 20-30 hours a week donating most everything to the county's battered women's center and Project Linus for terminally ill children in hospitals. I also described how choosing a fabric by sight and feel is very important to a quilter and that pre-cut and sealed packaging does not work for me. I ended the letter by acknowledging that the bottom profit line is important for big business but that I really did not think Sam Walton would have done away with the fabric department.

When I sent the note, a sentence appeared on my computer screen asking me to chose (or change) what store I wanted my response to be delivered. Hum-m-m-m, maybe this is the problem--headquarters never receive nor had an opportunity to read and realize that we little people, i.e. their customers, are out here wanting fabrics.

So, ladies, if you are willing to sign your name, give your address and tele number, click into the above link and help us stand our ground for a suitable charity fabric.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:16 PM

our Wal marts have all discontinued the fabric and notions sections completely. I and others have continued to petitioned to have the fabric returned over the past 5 years with no reply or response. I only hope your information is correct.