Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric shrank-- before my eyes! >

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 PM

When I started quilting, I pre-washed everything. Then so many folks said it was unnecessary that I stopped -- unless it was a vivid color that I was afraid would bleed. Or if I was going to use it for applique. Well, after today's phenomenon, it's back to pre-washing!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Here's the thing. Quilting prevents fabric from shrinking. Sewing it to the batting and backing stabilizes it. They can all shrink together, but one cannot shrink way more than another.

100% cotton batting, which is what antique quilts were made with, could not be prewashed. That is why antique quilts are crinkled; the batting usually shrinks about 3%. If you like the crinkled look, as I do, there is no need to prewash fabric for shrinkage.

In other words, fabric shrinks differently when it is washed by itself and when it is washed in a quilt that has already been quilted with reasonable closeness.

Starching *before* cutting instead of after takes care of keeping the pieces the correct cut sizes for piecing together.

In my opinion, the only reasons to prewash fabric are (1) to stabilize the dyes in a bleeder fabric, and (2) if you like a flat, modern look to your quilts. In the latter case, prewashing fabrics should be combined with a poly batting to prevent the usual 3% shrinkage of primarily cotton battings.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:22 PM

>>In my opinion, the only reasons to prewash fabric are (1) to stabilize the dyes in a bleeder fabric, and (2) if you like a flat, modern look to your quilts. In the latter case, prewashing fabrics should be combined with a poly batting to prevent the usual 3% shrinkage of primarily cotton battings.

Add a 3rd reason. To remove all the nasty chemicals used in the manufacturing process rather than touching/breathing them.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:29 AM

It's making my brain hurt! I have been told it is not necessary to prewash. Now I am concerned about all my projects sitting the in the bins waiting to be quilted. I guess I will not either prewash or starch before cutting. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Starch and press BEFORE you cut. I never prewash, I have seen some fabrics shrink as I am spraying them with starch! I always starch before cutting for this exact reason. Wasting expensive fabric!
I saw this tip on here before and it certainly makes cutting easier and more accurate. But no, I do not prewash.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by JackieG
Lots of great advice here. All worth reading. Never imagined a piece shrinking before your eyes. That would ruin everything.
Agree with JackieG - I am afraid that I would flip out if that happened to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 AM

All cotton has a certain percentage of shrinkage, even in clothing, no matter the quality. So I am not surprised by your discovery.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 AM

Someone mentioned that she had purchased fabric at a quilt shop and found out later it was a blend. I thought that was the whole point of "quilt" shop - 100% cotton fabric. When I shop LQS I don't look at the fabric content like I do at Walmart or even Hancocks or Hobby Lobby. Maybe I shouldn't be so trusting.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I never prewash.. Wasting expensive fabric!
If you don't pre-wash, and then piece...if it does shrink, all your seams will be stretched and at different places. What a nightmare. IMHO you shouldn't "HOLD" that fabric in an unnatural state while you cut and piece it and then wash. Eventually, it will do what it is going to do: either shrink, or bleed. Why waste piecing time if it is going to do that? ALSO, the sizing coated on fabric (pre-wash) is really bad for your rotary cutter and dulls the blade, as does using a dryer sheet.

Wash - dry without fabric softener - iron (and starch if needed)-cut and sew.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I had a same experience. I went back to the quilt shop and read the bolt end. Sure enough....it had a high percent poly and the heat from the iron shrank it. I adjusted my seams to compensate for the 1/4 inch loss and finished the top. I have yet to quilt it. Guess this one will stay here....the dogs will appreciate it.
I rarely prewash but have quite a few fabrics that had to be "pre-washed" after we had a flood in our basement. So anything that will end up in a quilt with fabric that was already pre-washed I do wash but other than that I don't. But I am not suprised to find that the fabric that had a high % of poly also shrunk because when manufactures put poly in their fabric they usually put it on the machine and the natural fabrics are woven into it. The poly's are stronger because they stretch. Therefore anything that stretches will shrink as well.