Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite New Little Helper

Favorite New Little Helper

Some time back I purchased the wonder clips to try out. Like a lot of things, I put them away and haven't had them out in a while. I finished Easy Street along with Bonnie's clue releases and got it quilted but had put off sewing the binding on - I hate that part! Anyway, I dug out my wonder clips and used them to hold the binding down as I was hand sewing it. What wonderful clips wonder clips are!! I think they are my favorite quilting tool right now....well, except for rulers and rotary cutters which you can't live without! If you haven't tried them, give them a shot! So much easier than pinning and I didn't have to worry about me or my puppy (who thinks she needs to help) being stabbed! Happy Quilting!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I LOVE my wonder clips. In fact, I am thinking of buying more so I can clip the entire binding.

Also love those clips for binding.

How many do you need? I bought one package of 10, but I haven't used them yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    I LOVE my wonder clips. In fact, I am thinking of buying more so I can clip the entire binding.
    I purchased two of the 50 packs, which came in a nice little box, specifically to use in binding my quilts and so I could have enough to go all around the quilt. They are so easy to use, stay put and no pin pricks. I just love them.

Best binding tool out there! I use them for lots of things....wish I'd been the one to invent these.

What about clothpin less expensive lot cheaper
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

Blog Entries
    I whole-heartedly AGREE!

In fact I love them so much that I buy boxes of 50 so that I ALWAYS
    have extras to send to my swap partners so they can try them also.

Planning on making sure that when I start teaching my oldest daughter
    to quilt (within the next few weeks) that she gets started using the clips
    right off the bat.

I want to get the new jumbo size of these clips on my next purchase.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I use the silver hair clips. Lots cheaper! And I have enough to go around a king size quilt.

http://www.craftembellishmentworld.c...ap-Clip/Detail
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

IQ2
    Quote Originally Posted by kydeb View Post
    Some time back I purchased the wonder clips to try out. Like a lot of things, I put them away and haven't had them out in a while. I finished Easy Street along with Bonnie's clue releases and got it quilted but had put off sewing the binding on - I hate that part! Anyway, I dug out my wonder clips and used them to hold the binding down as I was hand sewing it. What wonderful clips wonder clips are!! I think they are my favorite quilting tool right now....well, except for rulers and rotary cutters which you can't live without! If you haven't tried them, give them a shot! So much easier than pinning and I didn't have to worry about me or my puppy (who thinks she needs to help) being stabbed! Happy Quilting!!
    OMG! I can't believe you wrote this today. I was just about to go on line to find and order them. I just finished binding a table runner and can't tell you how many band-aid dots I had to put on my fingers to keep from bleeding all over the white/cream fabrics from all of the pin pricks. (especially this winter--my skin is so brittle from the cold and fabric finishing it cracks if you just look at it) Thank you so much...I'm going to order them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
    How many do you need? I bought one package of 10, but I haven't used them yet.
    To say it again: I attended a class on bindings and the teacher showed us the wonder clips. She said "you only need 1, so buy a pack of 10 and share with 9 friends." Well, I use 2 and have shared with less than 4 friends.

I put 1 clip at about 1/2 the way on a side of the quilt and the other clip about 10-12" from where I am at the time. They move as I go.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I now glue baste all binding, no more clips or pins.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Banned
    I've never heard of these. They look great but as someone said, clothespins work just as well and I have a whole bag of those!

Love these little clips also. I've got a few packages. I got them at JoAnn's when they have 50% off quilting notions. The Michaels by me also has been carrying them and I used a 40% to buy a package. I gave them to my quilting buddies at retreat and they went crazy over them.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    I use the silver hair clips. Lots cheaper! And I have enough to go around a king size quilt.

I have to ask- How are the wonder clips different from the above or plastic clothespins? Just curious ???

I love my wonderclips!!!

I bought a box of 50 and use all of them - I stick them on, sew to the end and then repeat - they do go a long way. I think you could work your way around with just 2 though. I suppose clothespins would work; however, what REALLY impresses me about these are how they are the exact right size and shape for holding down that binding. They are also not nearly as big as clothespins so probably easier to handle. I got them on sale and I think this is one thing that was well worth the money! I have lots of quilt gadgets in drawers that I'll probably never use. This is one purchase I would repeat!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I think the wonder clips are just easier to open and close. The silver hair clips are more awkward to me and take more time to put on. Everyone has their own preferences That's what makes the quilt world go 'round!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I have to ask- How are the wonder clips different from the above or plastic clothespins? Just curious ???
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
    OMG! I can't believe you wrote this today. I was just about to go on line to find and order them. I just finished binding a table runner and can't tell you how many band-aid dots I had to put on my fingers to keep from bleeding all over the white/cream fabrics from all of the pin pricks. (especially this winter--my skin is so brittle from the cold and fabric finishing it cracks if you just look at it) Thank you so much...I'm going to order them right now.
    I really think you'll love them!! Happy Quilting!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Good question. The Wonder clips lay flat and has a lot more grip than a clothespin.
    Just my humble opinion.

this is what I use also they work great why pay for the wonder clips
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post

Blog Entries
    I know from personal experience that UNTIL I got these wonder clips
    that binding was the #1 reason I put off finishing a quilt because I hated
    doing the binding so much.

I have tons of the silver hair clips that I feel was wasted money because
    they didn't hold as tight as I wanted and did not "slide" on my machine
    bed smooth enough.

Regardless of how others may feel about them, I am just happy that I
    found them and started using them.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I just got the wonder clips and totally impressed! I did order the box of 50 on Amazon because it was way cheaper than the box of 10 per unit price. But I use only three or four at a time. I never pinned the entire binding - always have done about 8 to 10 inches at a time. And I also have a tendency to tell my friends when something is great and share a few - so not sure how long the box of 50 will last. I did try the other hair clips and just wasn't as easy to use (had some for my daughters years ago). Also, they were more expensive because I was looking at them in the quilting environment instead of hair supplies.

I have one box of 50 wonderclips, and it's enough for me - I don't use them all when I'm binding a clip - it makes the quilt feel "heavy" to me, so I tend to use enough for one side and around a corner for a little bit.... and then I do the next side and corner - works for me!

I think the wonder clips are much better than hair clips. They hold tighter and don't slip off. I use then for binding but also love them for the tops of tote bags. When you are trying to line up the lining with the exterior of the tote, it is nice not to get your fingers all stuck and bleeding...LOL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast