Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Quilting Book

My go to book is The Quilter's Complete Guide, by Fons and Porter.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide...s=BHG+quilting

this is my all time favorite and I have looked though all of them at joanns that are similar, but I chose this one about 7 years ago and have never been dissapointed

Got the BHG Complete Guide to Quilting at Joanns. Everything I bought today was on sale. The book was regularly around $19 and I got it for under $12. Also got a cutting mat, a rotary cutter and a slotted ruler for 50% off. I'm excited! Also borrowed the Fons and Porter book from my mom. I'm set for a bit.

My favorite go-to book is "The Quilter's Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter. I ended up with a 2nd copy and was going to give it to my daughter but she already had it so we gave it to a friend of hers that is just starting out. If possible get one with spiral binding so it will stay open when you are using it.

The Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter would be my suggestion. Actually, I'd go to the library & look at a large variety to see what "speaks to you" & then buy it if you want it (yes, I'm a big fan or using the library).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    I use the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting as my reference. It gives good basic instructions for just about everything.
    I, too, am just getting into quilting (after a 30 year absence) and I purchased the BH&G Comlete Guide to Quilting and refer to it more than any other quilting book. Yes, YouTube and the internet offer many tutorials but I love getting this book out for simple instruction reminders.

Smile Quilting Book....

Quote Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
    I am totally new to this hobby and would like to have a book with the very basics, a quilter's "bible" so to speak. What would you all recommend?
    I would go to local Library and look through the section of Books on Quilting so you can see if they have one there to fit your needs... Since our Library has a huge section of Books I could sit there and look for hours.... but that way you can take the Suggestions of other Quilters and look at the books there or at a book store or at local Fabric shop like Joann's etc.. Then you decide which one and maybe you can find it on Amazon at a lower price for a used one in good condition... Good Luck and Welcome....
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

I was going to suggest the same thing that Jean in Ohio said. The library is where I would start. When you find what you are really wanting then buy the book so you will have it for reference. There is a vast amount of information available to you here on the QB, Utube, Quiltville, Eleanor Burns, etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the QB. Some LQS have groups of ladies that meet and sew and would love to help you learn. In my area there are some groups of ladies that get together once a month and spend the day sewing together. Happy Quilting and Sewing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have THE "quilter's bible" book. you can see it here....http://www.amazon.com/The-Quilters-B.../dp/0715336266

I even wrote about here before....I have taught quilting for more than 12 years and have to tell you that this book is the absolute BEST ever written....I gave a talk about it at my guild and nearly sold out of books! BUT it was not just NEW quilter's that bought them, it was well experienced ones who noticed what I did about this book...the pix are to die for if you are a visual learner....AND it goes beyond 1/4" seams, bias, curves, etc....it takes you all the way out to different borders, bindings, quilting, you name it!
    I have 4 copies left at $15 plus shipping!

Blog Entries
    I have a couple and one is actually called "The Quilter's Bible".
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    I'm self-taught for the most part so when I first started, I bought the book put out by Joann Fabrics (don't remember the name since I've gifted it to a new quilter). It's got all the info you need to learn the basics of quilting, including hand piecing. I really learned a lot from this one book.

You could also go to the library and see what kinds of books they have.

Welcome to the world of quilting. You're going to love it!!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I love Quilting for Dummies....except the title, that is! I found it many years after I started quilting and wished I'd had it when I was a newbie.....
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Fons and Porter's Quilters Complete Guide gets my vote!

I also vote for The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrove and Sharyn Craig. This was one of my first books and still use it as a reference.

Mine is CREATE YOUR OWN FREE-FORM QUILTS by Rayna Gillman. I have more fun and it aesthetically pleases me. Odd duck?!!!!

Pat

my first quilting reference book and one I still use a lot is "Quilting --- the Complete Guide" by Darlene Zimmerman.

This book was recommended by the best teacher at my LQS. She taught my Intro to Quilting class. The book is easy to follow, simple directions for all kinds of things. It is small -- 8x7 inches, hard cover with an internal spiral binding so it stays open. I can tuck it into my sewing machine bag if I want to take it with me.
    CMC

All the books are expensive, but I find them often at garage sales! lol I DID invest in "The Quilting Bible" the end of last year and it has patterns as well as some pretty good information. Amazon.com has it.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Your First Quilt Book ( Or It Should Be!) by Carol Doak

This was my first book and I loved it. She explains all the processes whether you are going to do by hand or by machine. I gave the book to my sister in law when she got into quilting.....I missed it too much and bought another one on Ebay.

I go with audsgirl's list of books...I've got all of them in my library...

I have some Quilting books set aside for a yard sale. I would keep them but I've moved and my daughter says I have way to many!! So, I'll look thru them and if I see anything that could help you, I'll send for your address and just let you have it. I will say I have the Quilting for Dummies book and it's really pretty good!

I'll let you know on what I find!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

For my money, I vote for the BH&Gardens Complete Book book of Quilting. Terminology, photographs, patterns, etc., all included in a loose leaf format.

I use the '' The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide" by Ellen Pahl. It is a book a Rodale Quilt Book, and You Tube, plus the internet............ I typed in quilting terminalogy in my search bar, and up came a site that said, "quilting for beginers -------Terminalogy............

Quote Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
    I am totally new to this hobby and would like to have a book with the very basics, a quilter's "bible" so to speak. What would you all recommend?
    I am not affiliated with publisher nor author.My most favorite book when I need information is, "Quilters' Complete GUide" by Leisure Arts, Liz Porter. I have used it in my classes and when I started my granddaughters on quilting I gave them a copy. It is very clear on cutting, binding, just everything. I don't need any other book. Cost is $29.99 but you can get it much, much cheaper on Barnes & Noble used books. Hope this helps.

Have the books listed by audsgirl. My two favorites are the Carol Doak and the BHG one. All are good, but those two are my go to books when I have questions or "senior moments" and can't remember something. Good luck and welcome to QB!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I like Fons & Porter's Quilter's Complete Guide And the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I think they both tell you what you need to know about quilting. Have fun quilting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast