Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Quilting Book

Favorite Quilting Book

I am totally new to this hobby and would like to have a book with the very basics, a quilter's "bible" so to speak. What would you all recommend?

My first one was "Lap Quilting" by Georgia Bonesteel, that was because I started with hand quilting. There are so many books and it really depends on what you plan to do. Good luck. One book does seem to lead to another quickly.

Basically..what I'm wanting is something with terminology etc. When I say I'm new, I mean I'm green as grass

Blog Entries
    Check out youtube, there is so much on quilting.
    Veronica

True, just looking for a book I can sit outside and read or take with me or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
    I am totally new to this hobby and would like to have a book with the very basics, a quilter's "bible" so to speak. What would you all recommend?

1001 Patchwork Designs by Maggie Malone. You can buy a used one on Amazon.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

The Ultimate Quilting Book, by: Maggi Gordon. It is a mixture of ideas, patterns, tips and history. I enjoy it for reading as well as patterns and templates etc

I love "Qiilting for Dummies". Its one of the dummy books and I always refer to it. A good teacher and basic.

Blog Entries
    There are several that might be helpful to you.

The Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter
    Patchwork Made Easy, 2nd edition, by Jean Wells
    The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrove and Sharyn Craig
    Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! by Laura Nownes and Diana McClun
    Your First Quilt Book ( Or It Should Be!) by Carol Doak

All of these have basic terminology, getting started choosing fabrics, techniques, and patterns. Some of them are more involved than others and some are older, with fewer color pictures, but they all deal with rotary cutters and the newer methods. I have (or had) all of these books, and I would probably recommend the one by Jean Wells or the Fons and Porter one. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    My first book was called " Your first quilt book ( or it should be) by I think Carol Doaks has a red cover
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Recommendation number three for "Your First Quilt Book...or it should be"! I have been quilting a long time and have over 200 quilt books, and it's still my "go to" book for answers to questions on things I've forgotten.

Banned
    I'd go with McClun and Nownes' Quilts! Quilts!Quilts! if I was to recommend just one.
    It's colorful, has good basic instructions and nice quilts.

I use the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting as my reference. It gives good basic instructions for just about everything.
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I was going to say pretty much anything from Eleanor Burns, especially her Underground Railroad, but, after checking out Quilting for Dummies, I would have to agree with Sandilee and choose that one.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

I recommend the Ultimate Visual Guide. I also have Quilts, Quilts, Quilts, and that one taught me alot. I believe we all should have a reference book along with are stash LOL.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! Can't wait to get a few and get educated!

The bookstore or an online book source like Abes books is a good way to find a basic guide book for quilting. I paid $5 for Better Homes and Gardens quilting book at Borders along time ago.
    I read it then it sits on my bookshelf not used again.
    I learned to quilt by watching videos on the web. Quilt In A Day has lots of Eleanor Burns videos to watch. She is the best teacher for beginners.
    A great free video site is:
    http://quilterstv.com
    You tube has lots of videos also.

My go to that has everything for quilting is "The Quilting Answer Book" by Barbara Weiland Talbert. You can get it in a portable edition looks to be about 5 x 7 - it has everything about making a quilt from start to finish - including math, binding, fabric, and everything. I use this book to teach myself anything about quilting.

Blog Entries
    I also really enjoy the quilting magazines and some have basic terminology and basic how-to's in the back that you can reference. They are full of ideas, lessons and are very motivating to me.

One that no one has mentioned (I think) is Quilting 101. I bought it for my DIL for Christmas. Excellent photos.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Definitely get Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I still use it. if I had to get rid of all my books except one this would be the one I'd keep.

I'm going to second Quilts, Quilts, Quilts by Nownes & McClun. And I'm going to second YouTube. I'm a life long sewer, but sometimes you just have to see it. Using the rulers correctly was a real life changing moment for me (quilting wise). I was trying to make a Vera-like bag and the directions made no sense - because they were written for a class and someone to show you - I found them on you tube - same with the super easy sausage pillowcases - just couldn't read the instructions and make any sense.
    You are in for an important change in your life. I don't know what I'd do without my quilting.
    Judi in Ohio

My go to book is "The Quilters Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter. I like this book because it has various blocks as well as a great deal of information and terms. Quilters Cache is also full of information and all the blocks you could ever want. welcome to the world of quilting.
    Sue

"The Quilters Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter was my go to book when I started quilting. It was a gift from DH for Christmas one year. I also took a class from my LQS that was a sampler quilt top. Learned some of the basics that way. Also agree with Judi in Ohio about You Tube. Used it the other day while sewing with friends because I could not figure out the written information for a dimensional flying geese block. Just pulled up tute on my phone.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    I agree with"Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting" - great book - I used it to learn to quilt and still go to it. It is a good book to sit and read through and go back to when actully quilting.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast