Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sewing Machine Brand

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I need a work horse, but I want it to be a new one. I do a lot of PP with bulky seams. My Brother CS6000i is wearing out.
    I love paper piecing, and always use my gear driven - no electronics at all - when PPing. Bought it at one of those Joanne's special Singer sales for $199. It is REALLY a workhorse.

Love my brothers and babylocks, never been dissapointed

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love my Babylock.

I'm a Viking girl.

Blog Entries
    Ditto!
    Quote Originally Posted by mltquilt
    I love my Bernina machines.

mltquilt

I have a Janome Memorycraft 3000, old but I love it. My sister has an Elna which she loves and also a Brother embroidery machine. I am shopping for a new machine right now too, and it is very similar to buying a car. You have to test drive and see what is best for you. I had an old Singer Stylist machine which I traded in when purchasing my Janome. I regret doing that now because now everyone says the new Singer's aren't like the older ones. Very sad.

I really like Janome

Quote Originally Posted by asmmauer
    I love my Berninas.
    me to!!

Well I don't too much experience with a lot of brands, but I have had Elna, Singer, Kenmore, Bernina and Brother. I like Brother. Bernina is the cadillac in my garage, but I can only afford the basic model. With Brother, I get a machine that has all the features I want, for a reasonable price. In November I got the Laura Ashley model. It is WONDERFUL. Before that I got the project runway model to take to class. That one is great too. Maybe they will prove not to be reliable through the years, but for now. I am impressed.

I'll put my 2 cents in here, too. First, I wish my husband was still alive and he could read how many machines everyone has because he wondered why I needed all of mine.smile I have 2 Vikings and love them both, a Singer 401 Slantamatic that I bought new in 1961. I have worn out one motor patching my husband's denim levies plus I made all my clothes and part of my kid's clothes on it. It has a large number of different stitches and decorative stitches on it and I love the fact that by being a slant needle, you can see exactly where you are stitching. Had a new motor put on it and it still runs great and I love it. I have 3 old Singers, two are treadles and then I have a Singer Quantum XL 6000 which is a computer sewing and embroidering machine. I love the features on it and use it a lot. It has all the bells and whistles. So I really don't have a favorite among my machines.
    Marquita

I'm with you on the Walmart Brother Machines. I have 2 of them. I also have a White that is 27 years old. Than Monday a friend of mine that I am teaching to quilt wanted an Sewing Embroidery Machine. She normally buys her things at Sears. Well just so happened we found the same Machine an Brother SE400 at Walmart for about $300.00 cheaper. So who says you have to buy at an expensive store.
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by babyboomerquilter
    I have an old Kenmore that runs like a top, a Singer for embroidery and a Brother Serger. They all work great.
    I have an old Kenmore also, but it is way too heavy to take to classes. So there is the Viking for piecing and classes and the Bernina for embroidery (when I learn how)

Senior Member Claddaughquilting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I love my husquvarna viking
    Ditto

Been sewing since I was ten years old and that's been a long time. I have stitched on several different kinds of machines. I would not trade my Bernina except for another Bernina. Worth every penny spent.

I have a FW , love it. A Bernina, don't love it. A Babylock, super love it. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I have had A White in 1959, then got a Golden Touch Singer in about 1972, worst move I made, then went to a Elna, not bad, but now I have 3 baby locks, love them. The decorator,
    Baby Lock Quilter's dream and also my Ellisomo, they all work very well... best move I every made.

I have a low end Bernina Activa 145 and had always hoped to be able to get a bigger better one. When I started quilting I wanted a bigger harp, and the Berninas were priced over $10,000. My car isn't worth that much, so I knew Bernina wasn't in my future.
    I got lucky and found a used Janome6600 that my LQS had taken as a trade. Now I have a friend who asked if they sold used and they said no, and Janome is not the brand they sell. So I think they took this in just to make a sale, and they sold it at a very good price. But I love this big workhorse of a machine. It cost less than my Bernina did about 7 years ago and has many more features.

Quote Originally Posted by asmmauer
    I love my Berninas.
    Ditto, except I only have one.

8-)

Blog Entries
    I have the Bernina 440QE. If anyone had ever told me I would spend this much on a sewing machine I would have told them they were CRAZY!!! However, I love it and everytime I say something about the cost my husband says "it makes you happy, it's worth it". :D

Quote Originally Posted by Windsong
    I'll put my 2 cents in here, too. First, I wish my husband was still alive and he could read how many machines everyone has because he wondered why I needed all of mine.smile I have 2 Vikings and love them both, a Singer 401 Slantamatic that I bought new in 1961. I have worn out one motor patching my husband's denim levies plus I made all my clothes and part of my kid's clothes on it. It has a large number of different stitches and decorative stitches on it and I love the fact that by being a slant needle, you can see exactly where you are stitching. Had a new motor put on it and it still runs great and I love it. I have 3 old Singers, two are treadles and then I have a Singer Quantum XL 6000 which is a computer sewing and embroidering machine. I love the features on it and use it a lot. It has all the bells and whistles. So I really don't have a favorite among my machines.
    Marquita
    I had to laugh a little about wishing you could show this to your husband because he couldn't understand why you had so many machines - my husband tried that a couple of times, so I told him I was going out to count saws, drills, you know, garage type stuff that all do different(or even the same) things. He really didn't question me again.

Sherry, you have the right idea. I could have done the same thing with all his saws, etc, but I didn't think of it. You gave me a laugh, too!! Thank you.

Windsong

I Learned to sew on my Mother's 1953 singer. My Husband bought me a Singer in 1973. It died in 1992. I bought a New Home. That was terrible.I bought a 1530 Bernina around 1995 and it is the best machine anyone could ever want. I also have a Brother Embroidery machine.( it was Cheaper than the Bernina).

Blog Entries
    Had a Pfaff and traded for the Janome 1100 and love it - easier to use and have a MB4 a great embroidery machine.

Ruby the Quilter

My Juki & Kenmore.

Power Poster
    I like my pfaff and my overlock.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast