Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Featherweight Question >

Featherweight Question

Featherweight Question

Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Forest hobbit-
That's interesting! I bought my first featherweight on Ebay from California! I bid on it once and it didn't reach her reserve and went unsold. DH, an old hand at internet shopping, told me to wait and check back in to see if she listed it again. She did and that time added free shipping and handling. I won it the second time around. What a thrill - my one and only Ebay auction. Two years later, my DMinL gave me hers. So, I consider myself rich at this point.
lots2do (but not doing it now)
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Found they were difficult to find in California. Ebay gave the best choice and I have had no problem using Paypal. Some have found them on craig's list. Why not start a new thread asking for information on machines possibly up for sale or trade?[/quote]

That's a good idea. I'll put that on the list of things to do - which may not happen for a while because the the list of things already in the works is suffering.
Thanks for the info. DI
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Congrats ForestHobbit. Your first fw is always special.

I read many people saying that age doesn't matter...to me it does. The early fw's didn't have numbers on the tension dial, makes it a little frustrating to change the tension when needed. Also the bobbin thread guide is on the outside of the lower base.. I learned all this *after* I bought a fw and didn't think age mattered. haha I do like the chrome on the hand-wheel tho. :)

FH - I saw the fw that worked and then didn't work. I'm thinking they got in there to clean it and then bobbin finger fell out of place. Simple fix.

p.s. I live in Half Moon Bay now. I moved here in '06 from the Cambrian area of San Jose (by Leigh High School)
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
I inherited my Centenial Featherweight from GM to mother to me. The machine had been stored for years and the case was very musty. I did the newspaper thing, outdoor sun, dryer sheets and finally Fabreeze. THe fabreeze did the best job but not all the smell is gone. I don't store the machine in the case anymore. Also I leave the case opened all the time and give it a couple of shots of Fabreeze about once a week. It helps but don't think anything will really work except ripping out the case lining which I may do and reline it. I know, I know, don't change an antique. It will destroy its top value but I don't plan on selling it.
I was given a FW that smells bad. I took the oil pad out, made a new one with felt, that really helped the machine. The case though is still stinky. I researched and found a guy who after trying everything couldn't get the smell out so he took all the black "fake leather" or fabric or whatever they are covered in, off. He then bleached the wood, sanded and refinished the box. They were beautiful. I know the value may be less because it isn't original but the value won't be good anyway if they stink. At least it would be useable for yourself. I might end up doing that.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Roselady,

I've seen a refinished case and they are beautiful...the wood grain is nice. I like that it's unexpected. Everyone knows the shape of the case and believe me, all eyes are on the case wondering what's going to come out of it. Then when they see it's a fw everyone eww and ahhs over the machine AND case.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by PinkiLee
Congrats ForestHobbit. Your first fw is always special.

I read many people saying that age doesn't matter...to me it does. The early fw's didn't have numbers on the tension dial, makes it a little frustrating to change the tension when needed. Also the bobbin thread guide is on the outside of the lower base.. I learned all this *after* I bought a fw and didn't think age mattered. haha I do like the chrome on the hand-wheel tho. :)

FH - I saw the fw that worked and then didn't work. I'm thinking they got in there to clean it and then bobbin finger fell out of place. Simple fix.
p.s. I live in Half Moon Bay now. I moved here in '06 from the Cambrian area of San Jose (by Leigh High School)
Cambrian huh? I live a couple of blocks from the Meridian-Branham Lane intersection. There is a quilt shop in the Cambrian Plaza now called Praire (sp) Queen Quilts. A very nice shop.

I lived in Half Moon Bay when I was in the second grade. We lived on Church St. right across from an elementary school.

When our granddaughter lived with us she attended Leigh High School before she moved back with her Mom.
Judy
Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Odor in Featherweight sewing machines - Just a quick reply.

ALL my little machines had mold. I sprayed the insides with
white vinegar. Let dry and spray again. Do that for about two weeks once or twice a day leaving the lid open and no more smell. A few days after that the vinegar smell will disappear as well.

I don't use the hard cases anymore. I buy small padded coolers to carry everything. I was always getting bonked and beaten up by carrying case trying to haul everything at once so
walking in Walmart one day I decided to measure for machine. Now have wheels and shoulder strap and fits to a T.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
Hope to see a featherweight in my future soon. Have looked at those "born" in the 1930's to 1964. Does the age of the machine make a difference or do they all work pretty much the same? I am trying for the best price for the best machine that fits into my budget and have not considered the year "born". They all seem to have the same attachments. Do any of you have suggestions as to important things to look for specifically in featherweights? Appreciate your help all you talented people!
Have found my baby. She arrived a couple of days ago and she is so purty. Have been doing some google-ing on servicing and upkeep. Found these sites. Lots of information.

http://www.tandtrepair.com/221.html

http://singerfeatherweight221.blogspot.com/

Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 AM

When do we get to see her.
Hope to see a featherweight in my future soon. Have looked at those "born" in the 1930's to 1964. Does the age of the machine make a difference or do they all work pretty much the same? I am trying for the best price for the best machine that fits into my budget and have not considered the year "born". They all seem to have the same attachments. Do any of you have suggestions as to important things to look for specifically in featherweights? Appreciate your help all you talented people!
Have found my baby. She arrived a couple of days ago and she is so purty. Have been doing some google-ing on servicing and upkeep. Found these sites. Lots of information.

http://www.tandtrepair.com/221.html