Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feed dogs and the 1/4" seam >

Feed dogs and the 1/4" seam

Feed dogs and the 1/4" seam

Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I don't have that problem with any of my machines.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Only have that problem on the Janome 8900 with the narrow 1/4" foot - just as others have mentioned, once I put the larger/wider foot on, to fully cover the wider feed dogs, the problem is gone! I also am consistent in using a 'seam guide' to the right of the presser foot to ensure I line the fabric up correctly - without it I find my stitching gets a little wavy.

Curious what machine you have?

Christine
Old 07-07-2018, 03:13 AM

When "Mrs. Santa Claus" gave me permission to buy my new machine at the International Quilt Festival last year, I was over the moon for several weeks. My first purchase after that was a 1/4" foot. Mine is wider at the back so the feed dogs make contact with the fabric, but it tapers toward the front so that the seam comes out perfect -- perfect being a relative term, though, since I am often in so much of a hurry that it is "approximately" a 1/4" seam. Ha!

The foot is a metal one and allows only a straight stitch, but that it what it is for anyway. No more having to tape a piece of paper to the machine bed!!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I had that issue on the first few quilts I made because I used the only sewing machine I had back them. My original singer 327 which is a mechanical zig zag and had no option to move the needle for straight sewing. I put some post it notes on the stitch plate to guide me but had to be careful because I was only able to keep the fabric on the left feed dog. I have since expanded my herd
Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Okay, I have issues sewing a decent 1/4" seam. When I place the fabric to the needle, the 1/4" mark only hits the left feed dog, not the right, so it "pulls" funny.

Is this normal? I just think the fabric would feed better if both sides of the dog were feeding at the same time.

Thoughts?
Hi Red. I also have that issue. Bernina 770. But if I use the 57 or 97 feet it does help. Also using a leader piece of fabric. I just got The Ideal Seam Guide. Going to try that also. I understand what you are saying and these answers really don’t address that particular issue but every little thing we do helps... We thought the wider stitch would be so awesome, didn’t we!
Hope all is well with you! !
Old 07-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Had the same problem with my 770QE. It was not till they came out with the 97 foot, that my seams would be 1/4". I was pretty frustrated that I had to buy yet another expensive Bernina foot, to try to resolve my problem. It just seems like for the money we paid for those machines...this should have been addressed when they were designed.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 PM

I have found that if I line my fabric up with the right outside edge of the feed dogs, I get a perfect 1/4" seam on my Viking 6440. I gave up on a 1/4" foot, the guide was too flexible. I also use painters tape to extend the length of my guide line. My original 1970's Viking included a 1/4" foot that also works great. I used it to place that tape marking location.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:56 PM

If you take off your presser foot, you will find that there is another feed dog right behind the needle. That is what helps guide the fabric when the right feed dog doesn't connect.