Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feedback on FMQ attempt >

Feedback on FMQ attempt

Feedback on FMQ attempt

Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 AM

Good job on first attempt! A suggestion for quilting gloves - go to your local hardware store that sells gardening gloves. Look for nitrile gloves. They shouldn't cost more than 5-6 dollars. I tried the circle gadget and more expensive gloves but came across the suggestion to try nitrile gloves and thought I'd give them a try. What a difference!

Another thing you can use to make your sewing surface slippier is to rub a dryer sheet on it. (They're also great for cleaning the interior of glass shower doors; just wet them and rub the glass and rinse well.)

Keep practicing; you'll get the hang of it!
Lynn
Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 AM

From your pics, it looks like you are sewing too fast and haven't set your thread tension. The bobbin stitches are coming to the surface. You want the surface thread to draw down into the fabric.

I think you are trying to go too fast. I did at first and my stitches looked like yours. You'll have much more control.

Also, if your using a poly thread, be sure to wind the bobbins SLOWLY or the thread stretches and as you sew, it will pull up the bobbin thread.

I've been there and done all that. Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM

I, too, am "practicing". I'm doing some "fun and done" squares. (wonky, crap oops scrap) ones. My look a lot like yours, except my threads are doing fine.. I finally did a few circles last nite and a FEW were okay, but the rest sucked. This is going to be for myself, so, I'm just going to keep plugging along. Maybe they will be fine by the time I finish. I watched the link about Sharon's "halo",. I can't even imagine being able to do anything but "meander". LOL. Keep on plugging along......
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Dkm

If you have a machine that lets you slow the speed down will help. Have you tried using a white material sandwich and drawing lines on it to follow. The real key is to practice and relax. You've made a good start.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM

You're doing really great. I'm still learning and I really enjoy the FMQ! You will find the last part of the quilt sure looks better than the first part! Practice, practice, practice!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 PM

It's all about pratice. A good glass of wine helps. My best friend does a lot of FMQ, her mantra is sew fast, move quilt slow.
Penny
Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 PM

get a can of wd40 and spray the surface of your machine and aroung the feed dogs use a soft cloth to spread it aroung the surface gets very smooth so the fab does not stick to the machine. fyi it will not stain or hurt the surface of the machine or cabinet. this advise was given to me when i first started and it really does work. also it does not stain or hurt the fabric. run the machine as fast as it will run and then just move your hands but keep them close enough that you have control of the fab I hope this helps
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM

I think it looks good except that it looks like your tension is off a little. Maybe I'm wrong so if I am, sorry. otherwise I think the stitches look fine.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 AM

I have been FMQ for a few months so am still learning also. One thing that worked for me may help you depending on the type of bobbin your machine uses. Mine is metal with the little finger that sticks up, pointing toward one side, it has a tiny hole at the end of the finger. If I thread the bobbin thread thru that hole the underside stitch looks so much more even, it changes the tension in some way that works. There are many kinds of bobbins so won't work for all machines, I have a Bernina 930, wonderful machine, had mine since 1986 and still going strong. Keep trying, it will get better with practice!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

With all this incredibly helpful advice I might give FMQ a try....I have been a bit phobic about giving it a go, but after seeing your first and then second lot of pics I can see how quickly you are mastering it. Well done. You might just have taken away the fear factor for me.