Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feedback on FMQ attempt >

Feedback on FMQ attempt

Feedback on FMQ attempt

Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 AM

You should be so proud of yourself for attempting FMQ, i've never tried it, just use SITD so far. It encouraging to see your progress so far you're doing great! Thanks for the subject I'm learning a lot. Maybe one day I won't be so afraid to FMQ.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Something that I learned when I took my machine quilting class was to have a song running through my head. I think we practiced with something like row, row, row your boat. Silly, but if the song has a beat, it helps get your body into a rhythm. I have found many great songs that I hum while trying to MQ. Also, keep practicing! It is amazing how quickly you will find improvement. You're doing great!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM

I'm dumb, I'll admit, but what is a FMQ? I probably know it, but can't remember seeing it in the list of words someone posted a while back.
Sorry ladies! I feel stupid!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 PM

No question is dumb! Especially not one about acronyms.

FMQ - Free Motion Quilting
Old 09-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks, I knew it by it's full name!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM

Lots of great tips from everyone. I can't seem to get FMQ right and if I would practice more I'm sure I would get it.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Practice, practice, practice. Each time I try something, it loooks better that the last time.
Lots of great information on this thread! :lol:
Old 09-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for all your tips :mrgreen: I've been FMQ for quite a while and seem to have reached a plateau in my skill level-do a decent meander and stipple, but have trouble beyond that. This is inspiring me to take it to the next level. I have found that writing in cursive on the quilt works well--I know where to go then. Tried this on a couple of baby quilts--sang "Hey diddle diddle the cat ..." for days after sewing one! :shock:
Thanks again folks
Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM

I would like to ask a queston of all of you in the same vein. FMQ is great and yes practice makes it better and better, but if you are doing it on a large, queen size, quilt any suggestions? I feel like I can't control it as well as the practice pieces and smaller wall hanging type quilting. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 PM

I guess we have said a lot practice, practice, practice, but forgot to say, that once you are confident with one size, increase the size of the quilts you practice on. At first you can start with just squares, and when you feel secure, start making small real quilts. I know few of us have that time, but is worth it. Imagine how many Christmas gifts you will have done by the time you get to a queen size. When I am doing a big one I start at the center, and say to myself, it can only get easier from here. I stitch around the center and move away, unrolling the edges as I go along. I keep checking to make sure my back is straight and there are no folds. One awful thing here is when you run out of bobbin and have to remove the monster quit to change it and load it again where i was. At this moment you wish you had a front loading bobbin. When I have to remove the quilt I put a pin with a jingle bell on it to find the place where I was.

Maria